• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Troy sights for BUIS. Not aware of anyone making pinned uppers with Troy MD's. Having a non pinned 14.5 and not owning a lower that would legally accept is not a good idea. Especially if you have a lower that could accept it that isn't legal.

knightofcydonia

Sep 30, 2011
    Troy sights for BUIS. Not aware of anyone making pinned uppers with Troy MD's. Having a non pinned 14.5 and not owning a lower that would legally accept is not a good idea. Especially if you have a lower that could accept it that isn't legal.

thanks for the heads up.

sgtbilco

Nov 25, 2008
    Are BUIS designated for just one caliber? i.e. can ar iron sights be used with a 9mm ar build?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Are BUIS designated for just one caliber?

No they are designed to sight the right - caliber is irrelevant.

However I'd point out most of the sights with elevation adjustments (chopped carry handles/LMT, KAC 600m, etc) are designed for use with M855 the range values are caliber/load specific though they can be useful for other calibers/loads with similar trajectories.

In any even they can be used with any caliber including 9mm, it's just the range values won't be correct.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    so get FFL is the first step, then can purchase the parts. am I right? thanks.

Your lower is the only part that has to go through the paperwork, this is the part that has to go through an FFL, just like a handgun. Once you purchase your lower, you can buy all of the other parts online or at a gun show or from your local gun shop.

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    Your lower is the only part that has to go through the paperwork, this is the part that has to go through an FFL, just like a handgun. Once you purchase your lower, you can buy all of the other parts online or at a gun show or from your local gun shop.

Sorry for too many stupid questions. I am new here and still learning. I don't have any firearms now. I mean can I get FFL first without buying any firearm now. can I buy any kinds of firearm like handgun or AR once I have FFL?

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sorry for too many stupid questions. I am new here and still learning. I don't have any firearms now. I mean can I get FFL first without buying any firearm now. can I buy any kinds of firearm like handgun or AR once I have FFL?

You go to an FFL ( lets say a store) to buy a handgun or a stripper AR low. You go to an FFL every time you buy a handgun or stripped lower and fill out the paperwork every time and have a background check done every time for each regulated firearm.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    An FFL is a "Federal Firearms License" typically held by a gun shop (owner) who is authorized to trade/sell firearms. As a purchaser, you must use an FFL (find a local gun shop willing to work with you) to buy the lower for the AR you want to build. Unless you are going into the business, you would not be getting an FFL of your own.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Note that you will want to have your training certification (mdgunsafety.com) before you go to your FFL dealer for your paperwork, because they will need your number.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Note that you will want to have your training certification (mdgunsafety.com) before you go to your FFL dealer for your paperwork, because they will need your number.

or your DD-214 (If you're former military).

stiffin71

May 3, 2012
    Invisible in plain sight
    AR-15 Newbi

I will have my first AR-15 this Wednesday 5-9-12, it is an Olympic AR with stainless barrel, no sites, scopes, stripped basic, I would like to hear from the AR-15 veterens out there what the think I should equip it with, I really like the tactical gear though after reading several threads and lots of reading, there is so much that can be done with an AR so I am very excited about making this weapon my own, so anyone out there that could give me some pointers and advise I sure would appriciate it. :D

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I will have my first AR-15 this Wednesday 5-9-12, it is an Olympic AR with stainless barrel, no sites, scopes, stripped basic, I would like to hear from the AR-15 veterens out there what the think I should equip it with, I really like the tactical gear though after reading several threads and lots of reading, there is so much that can be done with an AR so I am very excited about making this weapon my own, so anyone out there that could give me some pointers and advise I sure would appriciate it. :D

depends on your budget an what you plan on doing with it. I would probably get a free float rail that way you can mount a grip/ bipod/light/back up sight....

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Flash Hider Help

I have one of the standard A2 style flashhiders.

I cannot get the "non vented" side to face downwards. It is always facing up. I have a pinned gas block and with the appropriate blocks in the vise, it will almost be physically impossible to torque the hider enough to get it 180 degrees.

Any thoughts?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I have one of the standard A2 style flashhiders.

I cannot get the "non vented" side to face downwards. It is always facing up. I have a pinned gas block and with the appropriate blocks in the vise, it will almost be physically impossible to torque the hider enough to get it 180 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Are you using a crush washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom