• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Not really a decent deal but the wait is gonna kill me, he said it would be about 8 months but if he gets it early he will give me a call. I had to order it from Washington I couldn't find anyone else that was still taking orders. I think the price was $625.00 plus $18 to ship it to my FFL dealer in MD.

It's very likely that in 8 months you won't be able to buy that.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Not really a decent deal but the wait is gonna kill me, he said it would be about 8 months but if he gets it early he will give me a call. I had to order it from Washington I couldn't find anyone else that was still taking orders. I think the price was $625.00 plus $18 to ship it to my FFL dealer in MD.

Not a bad price but you might not want to consider having a back up plan. If a ban comes to pass, any transfers started close to October 1 will most likely take much, much more time for MSP backgrounds than the roughly 3-4 weeks it's taking now.

I don't know if pending transfers in the pipeline on Oct 1 will be honored retroactively but I'm making August 1 my drop dead transfer date. MM's are running $800+ on GB and I'm not willing to do that (yet). But if mid July creeps around and I haven't found it, that's one set I'll go ahead and buy.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Just a heads up for anyone currently looking for lower parts kits. Gun Connection has CMMG kits for $85, $90 after tax. I just picked up a kit today and it looks like they have a dozen more.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Wow that's email from Fred is quite a load of bovine scatology. Maybe he's trying to say he only works on hunting guns and stuff he sells...

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    If you think that was some stupid letter Fred wrote check out the first one he sent me after I asked if he could preform a safety check, meaning just a head spacing for me
    And this is what he wrote back

I would certainly want to help you, but it appears that you may have manufactured a firearm without a Mfg. Lic, whereas the FET taxes have not been paid etc. There is considerable concern in the enforcement community ( BATFE) with a number of CFR changes regarding the “reconfiguration” and/or mfg. of AR 15 platform firearms. In your case you even changed the caliber !! This “firearm” would, in the theory of the laws, need to be submitted for approval to mfg. I have a MFG and a DEALER License and I am familiar with the rules. Actually, there is considerable controversy surrounding the Wylde chambered barrels. This was an attempt of Armalite to provide a chamber that can handle both .223 Rem & 5.56x45mm, which the differences are really much ado about nothing. The 223 Wylde ( Bill Wylde ) is NOT a cartridge, it is a slightly longer chamber design. Remember, the AR15 platform is a FAILED design, Gene Stoner gave up long ago. The U.S. Military have ceased ALL improvement funding back in 1997, and the Freedom Group has been unsuccessful in selling the platform design to ANYONE. It is a failed design that just cannot be fixed ! The ONLY market today is the civilian “plinking” market, and the U.S. is the only place civilians may possess them ( not for long ?).

The BATFE have long issued warnings regarding the assembly of semi-auto firearms, and defined the manufacturing process often. I cannot accept any responsibility for a firearm assembled by anyone other than a U.S. Licensed Mfg. Long ago my insurance company notified me that they will NOT insure me for any “assembly” ( defined by law as production, making, or manufacturing ) for anyone other than a licensed MFG. I have an annual report that I must file, as all mfg., with the BATFE regarding mfg. activity etc. Just like the other “kit guns” and “kit builders” of the 80’s ( FN-FALs, G3s, etc. etc. ) Most ALL usually failed for one reason or another, usually incorrect barrel indexing and finish ream to set headspace.

Hopefully you have a lower receiver manufactured by a reputable mfg. ( Bushmaster being the best, as they built most all Colts as “Quality Parts” at the time). If you have a hybrid unknown clone receiver, you may have trouble. My suggestion would be, if you have a Bushmaster, THEY may be able to inspect your “assembly” ?? I understand they have long stopped selling certain critical parts, like the LE 14” barrels. Uppers may soon be regulated under the laws, being they are the actual working part of the firearm that provided the essential TRACE information (etc.)..

The primary issue if that; is a firearm is used in a crime or whatever, and requires a “trace” back to the legal owner, they go to the MFG to start the trace. If there is NO MFG, then the firearm would NOT qualify as authentic under the rules of evidence used in trial rules, and the firearm would be disqualified as evidence. Today, when any firearm leaves a mfg. the complete configuration, including magazines supplied, is recorded. If this is changed drastically by a civilian, then there could be hell to pay for producing a firearm without a MFG Lic.

I have attached a recent BATFE determination on the issues.. The mfg. of a AR15 WILL require some cutting and filing to properly fit. PLEASE NOTE THE “DROP-IN” PARTS ONLY APPLY TO A “FULLY ASSEMBLED” REGISTERED FIREARM. OWNERS ARE NOT REGISTERED, BUT EVER SINCE 1934 FIREARMS HAVE BEEN REGISTERED..

People need to stop listening to the “experts” on the internet, and check the REAL LAWS.. If a citizen wants to “build” a firearm, then they must file a ATF Form 1, an application to make and register a firearm..

Sorry, I would NOT be able to check your firearm out, but the mfg. of the receiver may be able to ?? I would expect you have a typical “Frankengun” with a mix match of parts from many different people ? This will usually void a warrantee for a assembled firearm.. Many stripped receivers were sold off after the government gave up with the design and platform..

Thank You Very Much

Fred
    He states that I changed the caliber when I told him it was a stripped lower receiver I bought and built into a rifle with a 223 wylde barrel. Then calls my newly built rifle a franken gun because I used different mfg. parts like most people do even manufactures use different parts.
    Least I know enough now not to ask him to do the transfer for me when I buy my 308 lower, I couldn't imagine what I would have to hear from him since all I asked the first time was to have a head spacing

mmotily

Mar 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I'm not brand new to Maryland, as I have been living here for about a year and a half now. I am new to MD shooters, but not new to shooting.

Recently, with probably the worst timing ever, I decided to start my first AR build. I have everything for my lower receiver and the lower itself will arrive to my FFL on Monday. After I wait the 30-40 days I'll actually have my hands on my lower.

What I'm not quite sure of is if I'll be OK if (when) the AWB passes. Once I have my lower and pass my background check, will I be grandfathered in? Will I still be able to order other parts including my upper, BCG, and charging handle? Is there a time crunch on me?

I appreciate any help on this issue!

Thanks!

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    Awesome write up and info. Wished I could build one from the ground up myself, but just don't have the time with what's going on in this state. I did however pick up a complete M&P 15 last night and needed a little advice from folks here. I got a pretty decent deal with some sacrifices. Number one being that it has no compensator on the barrel. Trying to find someone local to SoMD that may be able to thread the barrel and add one once I finally get to pick this thing up. Any help would be appreciated guys...

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    Great write up. I should be picking up my lower within the next 10 days, so this will prove to be a great resource!

I did not see Daniel's Defense complete uppers mentioned in the original write-up. What seems to be the consensus on these?

jimbob301

Mar 19, 2013
    Interchangeable

I got a Smith and Wesson MP-15 lower and a New Frontier Armory upper and they fit perfectly.

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    great thanks i feel better knowing that ive made the right choice on my recent middy bcm upper and moe middy hg

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I purchased a stripped lower from tactical inovations and am searching for a upper receiver. Does anyone know if a seekins upper will match up with the Tactical Inovations lower? I would appreciate if someone could shoot me a PM. or a quick reply would be good.

twowheelsforever

Jun 18, 2009

The guys in this video say that we should leave the installation of the barrel onto the upper receiver to a gunsmith.

What's the general consensus on that? I feel like I've read from some folks that assembling the upper is easier than the lower?

I want to do a complete build myself, but if the above suggestion is accurate it sounds like it would make more sense to buy a complete upper with barrel already installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom