• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I am thinking about getting a carry handle for my flat top AR-15 then putting a scope on it too. I see there are a whole bunch out there ranging from $30-$100. I would like to keep the cost down but want one that will work well.

Anyone have experience with the cheaper ones (good or bad).

I am a spikes fan and thought about getting one of theirs, but I don't want to pay double for a name.

So what experience do you guys have with carry handles?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You don't want to mount a scope on a carry handle.

The whole reason for flattops is so you can remove the damn carry handle to mount optics.

Avoid the cheap AR gear (UTG, etc).

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Colt

I have 2. Both surplus one came with a rifle, the other I bought at a show last year for $40

Great quality

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Several down sides to what you propose:
    1) Detachable carry handles are heavy. A carry handle with a scope is really heavy.
    2) Leverage effect from a scope mounted that high will make the rifle top heavy and very tippy.
    3) Return-to-zero capability will stink (i.e. removing handle/scope assembly to clean rifle and reinstalling afterwards).

If you want a handle regardless, buy a Colt takeoff or something comparable in quality.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you just want carry handle functionality, there are rail mounted M249 style folding handles out there. Like this:

MNTHDLD2.jpg

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thanks for the replies. I have a flat top with a fsb. I am looking to have the option to use sights or scope without having to remove anything. If there is a better way to do it I'm all ears. I already have a Redfield wideview 2-7 scope ready to put on it. Only down side is its a not compact.

All my dad's ar-15's are A2 with carry handle as part of the upper receiver and they are all scoped, so I know the balance aspect.

I guess I could try to trade my flat top for a a2 16" midlength upper, but not sure how I would fair.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    ...except the whole part where you don't carry the rifle by the handle. ever....so that's just a silly notion.

This is true, I'd never carry a rifle that way but I figured I'd put it out there since I wasn't sure what the need was.

Now that I see the reason for the handle is to allow for iron sights, I might suggest some 45* offset irons.

JPROS-with-Sights.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    In addition to the offset sights you can use flip up rear sight for use with the front sight base and a good quick detachable scope base for the scope.

Or go to a red dot you can see the front sight through and use a flip rear for backup iron sight use. I use this set up and use the irons at long range and red dot for close work. But I am not trying to shoot a gnat in the butt at 200 yards either... this is a practical shooting setup. I do use a regular scope when load testing.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I started shooting at peacemaker and it's great to shoot steel at 200 and 300 yards. I had fun doing it with irons but want to have the scope option too. The offset may work but not sure how they work from the bench.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I started shooting at peacemaker and it's great to shoot steel at 200 and 300 yards. I had fun doing it with irons but want to have the scope option too. The offset may work but not sure how they work from the bench.

They suck from the bench because you have to tilt the rifle to 45 degrees, but they can be sighted in Ok that way. I used to use 45 degree offsets on my 3-gun AR (the expensive Barry Dueck ones at $200) until I got a scope that had a reticle I could use as a red dot (Burris MTAC 1-4x24). I found I did not need them anymore. Now I have gone to the Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40 and feel I might need them again as looking thru at 1.5x with both eyes open is a little different than looking thru 1x. I also have a 45 degree offset red dot when I want to shoot Open division. On my urban assault/HD AR (pinned 14.5") I use irons plus a 100% co-witness red dot. And as an opposite approach I use the red dot for CQB and the irons for longer shots (Matech rear sight)

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I have a flat top with a fsb. I am looking to have the option to use sights or scope without having to remove anything. If there is a better way to do it I'm all ears. I already have a Redfield wideview 2-7 scope ready to put on it. Only down side is its a not compact.

I have found that the Spike's DCH described above is a great option for iron sights on a flat top upper. I use it for NRA/CMP highpower competition so the "form" is somewhat restricted but the DCH has good half minute windage and elevation adjustments and with the addition of a suitable aperature piece it is totally competitive on the firing line.

If I want to scope the rifle for multigun matches I simply swap out the DCH for a scope mounted in this type of mount:

click me

When mounted this way, the presence of the standard FSB is not an issue. It does not block the sight picture or interfere with aiming.

The repeatability of both the DCH and scope mount are excellent. I can swap back and forth without losing zero on either.

I also have an A2 pattern rifle that occaisionally sports a CH mounted scope. It works but it is kind of awkward. Don't know if I am willing to pony up the $200+ to do an A3 conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom