• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Was hoping the MDS brain trust could help out.
    A friend of mine has an issue with his AR. I did not witness the malfunction, this is based on information he gave me. He was at a competition this past weekend and experienced this malfunction two times. Fresh mag, loads and shoots the first two rounds. Third round strips but the bolt does not fully close.
    Happened twice with two different mags.

Before he told me about the malfunction, we were talking about lubrication so I sent him Lord Chad’s lubrication video.

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Trying to get some more info from him.
    Brand, mags, ammo, etc.
    Will add that info as soon as I get it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sometimes a bolt over base malfunction will look like a feeding problem but it's often just an overgassed rifle.

The exact malfunction and pics of the brass can help some.

What is the specs for the rifle?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hopefully I’ll have the info this evening, I’ll get as much as I can

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sometimes a bolt over base malfunction will look like a feeding problem but it's often just an overgassed rifle.

The exact malfunction and pics of the brass can help some.

What is the specs for the rifle?

This is the info from my friend.
    “I believe it might have just locked up just right before the bolt lugs and got hung up and the round went right into the chamber. Due to lack of lubrication the botl rotation was slower and the timing was off and got off synch. I would use grease next time on the Cam Pin, Bolt Lugs and Bolt Exterior before I put them into the BCG. Grease the carrier rails and just use light oil for the firing pin. I think that is where the issue was as I was not able to lubricate the Cam Pin before the second match. At least that is what I think as I can't find any damage or reason for it.

My question:
    So on the third round of the mag it would strip a round from the mag, feed it into the chamber (all the way?), but the bolt would not close all of the way correct? Was the round fully chambered? And just the bolt wasn’t locking up?

Answer: Yes this is correct. The round was fully chanbered. Bolt wasnt' locking up. It got hang up on the bolt lugs somehow. If I knew that the round chambered fully I would have just pulled the bolt back a little bit and let it go and it might have gone in.

The AR is custom built; WOA upper and barrel; Troy Rails; WOA BCG and Bolt properly head spaced. Tactical Innovations lower with Geissele Hi Speed 2 stage Trigger
    It has now about 1500 rounds through it. 18 Inch SPR Barrel.

Answer: I am using PMAGs 30 round mags ; Using Hornady Frontier Factory Ammo 62 Gr FMJ

do you have any pics of the spent brass?

Answer: No. I left them all on the ground.

To edit my earlier info, I think this only happened once.
    Does this sound like it could simply be a lubrication problem? I’m trying to convince him to use the SOTAR method of lubrication and see how it runs.
    Obviously if he has continued problems, I would send him your way Chad.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is the info from my friend.
    “I believe it might have just locked up just right before the bolt lugs and got hung up and the round went right into the chamber. Due to lack of lubrication the botl rotation was slower and the timing was off and got off synch. I would use grease next time on the Cam Pin, Bolt Lugs and Bolt Exterior before I put them into the BCG. Grease the carrier rails and just use light oil for the firing pin. I think that is where the issue was as I was not able to lubricate the Cam Pin before the second match. At least that is what I think as I can't find any damage or reason for it.

My question:
    So on the third round of the mag it would strip a round from the mag, feed it into the chamber (all the way?), but the bolt would not close all of the way correct? Was the round fully chambered? And just the bolt wasn’t locking up?

Answer: Yes this is correct. The round was fully chanbered. Bolt wasnt' locking up. It got hang up on the bolt lugs somehow. If I knew that the round chambered fully I would have just pulled the bolt back a little bit and let it go and it might have gone in.

The AR is custom built; WOA upper and barrel; Troy Rails; WOA BCG and Bolt properly head spaced. Tactical Innovations lower with Geissele Hi Speed 2 stage Trigger
    It has now about 1500 rounds through it. 18 Inch SPR Barrel.

Answer: I am using PMAGs 30 round mags ; Using Hornady Frontier Factory Ammo 62 Gr FMJ

do you have any pics of the spent brass?

Answer: No. I left them all on the ground.

To edit my earlier info, I think this only happened once.
    Does this sound like it could simply be a lubrication problem? I’m trying to convince him to use the SOTAR method of lubrication and see how it runs.
    Obviously if he has continued problems, I would send him your way Chad.

Unless my memory is off, frontier ammo is awful. Lots of guns that went kaboom in a bad way. I'm thinking ammo is the cause here.

Lubrication may be another cause, but I'm thinking he either has too much extractor tension or headspace is short. I know he says headspace was checked out many assume it was checked or use the wrong gauges (if we're talking 5.56).

Other issues could be the feed ramps, his buffer system (if he is using a JP silent capture, I would pull it out), or there is gas tube alignment issues.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Unless my memory is off, frontier ammo is awful. Lots of guns that went kaboom in a bad way. I'm thinking ammo is the cause here.

Lubrication may be another cause, but I'm thinking he either has too much extractor tension or headspace is short. I know he says headspace was checked out many assume it was checked or use the wrong gauges (if we're talking 5.56).

Other issues could be the feed ramps, his buffer system (if he is using a JP silent capture, I would pull it out), or there is gas tube alignment issues.

Chad,
    As usual, thanks for all of the info. I will relay this to him. I can help him check the gas tube and a few other things but not headspace. I may send him your info in case he wants you to look at it.
    Thanks again.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad,
    As usual, thanks for all of the info. I will relay this to him. I can help him check the gas tube and a few other things but not headspace. I may send him your info in case he wants you to look at it.
    Thanks again.

I'm certain you might find the issue before I am needed.

I'll be happy to help him however I can. :)

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

I just bought one of these JP Silent Capture Springs (H2) - not cheap - what can go / has gone wrong? I did a lot of reqsearch, read a ton of reviews before I pulled the trigger - good news is, if it's a POS, then it's not to late for me to get my money back.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just bought one of these JP Silent Capture Springs (H2) - not cheap - what can go / has gone wrong? I did a lot of reqsearch, read a ton of reviews before I pulled the trigger - good news is, if it's a POS, then it's not to late for me to get my money back.

It's an overly complicated piece of crap. I can't count how many guns would not run with these things in a simple swap to a standard buffer and spring made the gun hum like a sewing machine.

People that want a better buffer system should look at the vltor A5.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    It's an overly complicated piece of crap. I can't count how many guns would not run with these things in a simple swap to a standard buffer and spring made the gun hum like a sewing machine.

People that want a better buffer system should look at the vltor A5.

Running out the door to ship it back and get my $150 back!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom