• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I understand that AR-15s bought or built after 10/2013 basically need to be HBAR. However, if a person has a pre-2013 AR-15, is it basically grandfathered—or must any new upper put on the lower be HBAR?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You can use whatever barrel profile you like on an older (ie MD pre-ban) lower.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For 5.56, yes. For something like 300blk or a pistol HBAR doesn't matter. So build whatever you want on a pre-2013 lower, or build whatever you want in something other than 5.56 on a post 2013 lower.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Is there even such a thing as HBAR for non-5.56 and pistol barrels?
    Not really. I'm am sure there are some heavily profile barrels out there, but HBAR as a legal category is purely a maryland contrivance.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    For a pre 10/1/13 lower you can put whatever upper/barrel profile you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Just so we’re clear. Anyone who owned the lower before 10/13 can go without HBAR. If it changes hands it’s just like a brand new lower.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Is it based off of a pre-2013 "design" or does the lower have to have been manufactured pre-2013?

If it is the former, can we buy (today) pre-2013 designed lowers so that we have the freedom to put non-HBAR uppers on it?

Just wondering... Thanks.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Is it based off of a pre-2013 "design" or does the lower have to have been manufactured pre-2013?

If it is the former, can we buy (today) pre-2013 designed lowers so that we have the freedom to put non-HBAR uppers on it?

Pre 2013 manufacturer.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

No.

YOU had to have owned it prior to October 2013.

Like RRomig said earlier:
    Just so we’re clear. Anyone who owned the lower before 10/13 can go without HBAR. If it changes hands it’s just like a brand new lower.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Personal take…I find the balance more important than actual profile (weight) on a 16” carbine. The extra weight of the HBAR carbine barrel is close to the front of the receiver allowing it to feel similar to a Gov’t profile barrel.

I realize a light gun will transition quicker than a heavier one bit for most uses, even three/multi gun for most shooters more is on the shooter than a lighter barrel.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton

You need to have owned it pre-2013. It needs to be made before the date in 2013 and you need to have owned before that date. There is no real difference in the design. I could not tell them apart by looking at them.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

No. The lower must have been owned by you before Oct 1, 2013.

Lowers purchased or made after that must be HBAR marked or advertised.

Edit: wow. In the time to type that, lots of replies

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't forget, there are some stipulations to the "Pre oct 2013 lower)

For example as I understand it, if you purchased in MD an AR15 Lower as part of an HBAR AR-15 say in 2012 (IE, you purchasd the entire rifle as an HBAR AR15), the Rifle was a long gun, it has to stay HBAR if you want to make it 223, you can't just put a pencil barrel on it cause it was not purchased as a regulated Lower/Rifle , nor an "other". So, be careful making any blanket statements.

How you purchased it, makes a difference. Many people asked the question if they could take a lower from a pre oct 1 2013 HBAR and put a pencil on top, NOpe, can't

IANAL

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Is there a logical flaw in the law? As one can still purchase all the parts individually, what if you have both types of complete uppers but they are disassembled from the lower? Is that still compliant? I would guess disassembled = compliant.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Don't forget, there are some stipulations to the "Pre oct 2013 lower)

For example as I understand it , if you purchased in MD an AR15 Lower as part of an HBAR AR-15 say in 2012 (IE, you purchasd the entire rifle as an HBAR AR15), the Rifle was a long gun, it has to stay HBAR if you want to make it 223, you can't just put a pencil barrel on it cause it was not purchased as a regulated Lower/Rifle , nor an "other". So, be careful making any blanket statements.

How you purchased it, makes a difference. Many people asked the question if they could take a lower from a pre oct 1 2013 HBAR and put a pencil on top, NOpe, can't

IANAL
    I actually remember this the other way. I believe PRE 2013 it was eventually decided that it was legal to put a light weight upper on an Hbar lower as long as the person was allowed to possess it(over 21, not prohibited).
    I’ll try to find some documentation. I think there is a letter.

I found this. Check out from post 30 on up. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?141493&p=2926961#post2926961

I think the way the law was written, anything should’ve been in banned configuration by the time it took effect in 2013. Before this went into effect, the HBar exception was for transfer. There was no prohibition on creating a regulated gun back then. This has not applied since 2013.

The MDSP said that any pre 2013 lower could be built in any configuration.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Okay, ^this^ helps make my head swirl a bit less as this thread reminds me that, sooner or later, I am likely going to have to figure out ALL the in’s and out’s of transferring two pre-13 HBARs (I purchased back when still in Md-stan) to two grandchildren who I am coming to acceptance may never get out. (Well, at least one; the second is not-as-easily manipulated, has a pretty fierce streak of independence and an intellect to match …)

Of course, the earliest either will be 21yoa is 5- and 9- years respectively so, no telling what a cesspool of defection and distraction MD legislators will have concocted by then … :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom