• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    I've been debating this with a buddy of mine at work:

"Will ownership of an AR-15 stripped lower receiver be enough to satisfy the requirement needed pre-Oct 1st so that you don't have to do the required training post-Oct 1st?"

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I've been debating this with a buddy of mine at work:

"Will ownership of an AR-15 stripped lower receiver be enough to satisfy the requirement needed pre-Oct 1st so that you don't have to do the required training post-Oct 1st?"

Not to be a smartass, but what training? I think you may be confusing/conflating "banned" rifles with the Handgun Qualification License.

And, as already mentioned, lowers are the only regulated part of the AR.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Not to be a smartass, but what training? I think you may be confusing/conflating "banned" rifles with the Handgun Qualification License.

Or, that's exactly what he's asking. It may be cheaper to spend $100 on a stripped lower than to buy a handgun, so if he can meet the training requirement just by buying a stripped lower, that may be the way to go.

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD

With training I mean the HQL. You need to take classroom instruction for that, right? Whether it be the hunter safety course or state-mandated "training"?

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    Or, that's exactly what he's asking. It may be cheaper to spend $100 on a stripped lower than to buy a handgun, so if he can meet the training requirement just by buying a stripped lower, that may be the way to go.

Exactly. My buddy wants to get her wife something they CAN AFFORD that can satisfy the HQL requirement before Oct 1st. A stripped lower is definitely cheaper than even the crappiest handgun you can buy from a pawn shop now.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Can we make this a sticky? These threads happen twice a day and its already annoying from people being lazy and not searching.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    With training I mean the HQL. You need to take classroom instruction for that, right? Whether it be the hunter safety course or state-mandated "training"?

OK... wasn't sure, which is why I asked.

There are exceptions (already owning a regulated firearm, hunter safety, etc.), but yes--some form of training must be satisfied per SB281 to obtain the HQL after 10/1.

His best bet, though, would be to find a dealer releasing after the 7-day period, and settle it before Oct 1. Then, he can deal with the HQL later (if he so desires).

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Exactly. My buddy wants to get her wife something they CAN AFFORD that can satisfy the HQL requirement before Oct 1st. A stripped lower is definitely cheaper than even the crappiest handgun you can buy from a pawn shop now.

The cruel irony would be if the transfer wasn't completed (ND'd 77r) before October 1st and the MSP wouldn't let you pick it up because it *could* be built into a pistol...thus requiring you to get a HQL to pick up your stripped lower which you bought so you could simplify the permit process.:sad20:

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom