• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No bear poking or hating going on here, life's to short for squabbles with low yield. Thanks for helping Charles, he and his family are like everybody's family in my community. I know he will be showing off his new iron and talking about his new friends and packing it with him when he comes around for sure.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    So I went and looked at the you tube video SB posted and that is exactly how I maintain my AR but maybe not quite that overindulgent. So now my next question is somebody needs to take a class to know that? When I hear you have to soak a BCG into an open quart of motor oil to make sure it can reciprocate correctly that sounds pretty alarming to me. Further more the analogy that a petroleum product acts the same way inside an AR vs an automobile engine could just be a matter of semantics because internal combustion engines have an oil pump that creates a hydraulic barrier to prevent galling but if that's the way people can associate the action that occurs in an AR I get the jist of it. I'm starting to think that the influx of panic buying that has occurred over the last few years has been an introduction for a lot of folks to they're first real rifle other than a 22 or pump shotgun the old man had lying around and the AR platform provides an opportunity for the end user to do some work and enjoy the rifle without a lathe. Im no fire arms expert or gunsmith but have a fair share of experience in alot of things mechanical and should have known better to even get involved in such a debate. I only started working on guns as a hobby for about 25 years after I quit building engines and motorcycles. As far as bantering about and kicking over how to maintain a weapon so that it works properly I trained my kids to do that stuff when they were teenagers. I picked up right away when guys talk about drilling holes instead of reaming to final dimension but kept my mouth shut knowing full well that's a hack job way of finishing something but to each his own right? As far as integrity, I don't think I need to prove anything to anybody here and could care less. If you don't like what I write, don't read it. And as far as that goes anybody that wants to meet up great, do some shooting on my land or meet at Zekes no problem. Or maybe even some hunting as long as your not a rookie I can work that out as long as I'm not involved with someone from HH. Give me a shout, I can meet tomorrow and its been awhile since I had the AR out so it would probably be fun wringing it out. Just bring some bug spray if your prone to chiggers and no glass targets.

It is blatantly obvious you don't care about anything, including the veteran community you claim to help. You are doing them a huge disservice with your sad comments.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It is blatantly obvious you don't care about anything, including the veteran community you claim to help. You are doing them a huge disservice with your sad comments.

You know what? Your doing yourself a huge disservice by running your mouth. How the hell do you know what I think or what I do for that matter? Like I said if you don't like what I write, don't read it. Dont let your emotions get the better of your judgement. If you cant handle an oppositional opinion or you don't agree with something I don't know what else to tell you, get over it.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I often wonder how much arguing would go on if people could only do it through pm's with each other and no one else could read their bickering back and forth?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For god sakes enough is enough, like I said as far as I'm concerned I for one am more than happy to meet anybody that would like to further any more discussion on the matter. Lets not drag others into confrontation with low or no yield. Chad has stepped up to the plate and demonstrated leadership and quality by offering not only his services but friendship to another that he doesn't even know. I suspect which is more important than any material worth. The rest of it is idle talk and BS. I was going to get out my AR and enjoy the day and reflect on all the past conversation. And yes even review how it is maintained and report back for success or failure. Im certainly not going to let another who may disagree with me ruin it or get into my head rent free especially when it comes to the matter of integrity or what I do in my private life or business. Ill let the ones who know me personally determine what sort of moral inventory I need to take not how someone else perceives it.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    Only a civilian here but when I started shooting .22s I learned that lots oil keeps the 10-22 running after the first brick.

Moved up to BP revolvers. Grease. Lots of grease.

US Rifle 30 Caliber M1- Grease and oil.

When I made the move to ARs I figured it's kinda like a .22. Kinda like an M1. Oil and grease it is. Now, I'm not an operator but my AR has never sounded like a rusty screen door when working the action.

Lubrication- it's cheaper than rifle parts.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you Doco for giving me the chance to make this Veteran a little happier. He is a good man and Im glad this all panned out like this.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I got a fiddy on you brah. :party29:

Thanks brother.

You're a classy dude!!!! No sarcasm intended!!! I mean that as a man.

:o

What part can I buy to donate to this, if he doesn't have one? If I am first to offer, I'd like to buy the upper.

Thank you brother. Check out the new thread and let me know.

No need. If you get the info PMand I'll send you a check

Thanks MPDC

Clandestine,

Let us know where we can donate.

Q

Thanks Q

I've got a BCM barrel with an A2 front sight post I'll kick in.

I probably have a bunch of other assorted small spare parts from LPK's where I didn't use everything as well. I'll have to check when I get home.

Let me know when you get closer to nailing down a date where you may need a truck.

Whatever you don't have, I probably have. I think I have parts for 2-3 builds (although no heavy barrels - but the guy is maybe not in MD?). Between you and I, I think we can cover this except for optics.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Give me a week and I'll have an upper ordered, with FA and DC already installed.

EDIT:
    As for the truck issue, depending on the date and if I can get my hands on a ball (I already have the mount and wiring), I could help out.

I dunnit his way ever since he told me about it. Ain't had a problem one, and the excess just burns off.

:D:thumbsup:

I've got a Wilson combat 18"' heavy barrel. 1:8 twist that I'd be willing to donate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 year in the army I would say CHAD is right.

1. Army uses CLP for storage where lubercation is not Need.

2 Read the Tm it list alternateive lubercation types and temperature ranges.

3. Privates are stupid and will believe what ever you tell them grid squares, exhaust sample.

Thank you my friend.

Always honorable and a class act, and your knowledge in incredible. It's why so many people trust your words in regards to firearms. Haters will always hate, but in the end, you have friends that will stand by what you say. Don't ever change, my friend.

1tn1r3.jpg

You are too kind my friend. Thank you.

When I don't know enough about something, I seek out experts. Chad=Ar expert.

Thank you for the kind words my friend.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You know what? Your doing yourself a huge disservice by running your mouth. How the hell do you know what I think or what I do for that matter? Like I said if you don't like what I write, don't read it. Dont let your emotions get the better of your judgement. If you cant handle an oppositional opinion or you don't agree with something I don't know what else to tell you, get over it.

Don't worry about my mouth. Worry about yours. I'm willing to bet that those you claim to help don't have a favorable opinion of you. Regardless of what they tell you.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter

Don't worry about my mouth. Worry about yours. I'm willing to bet that those you claim to help don't have a favorable opinion of you. Regardless of what they tell you.

You boys are headed for nowheresville. Let it go. You're killing the thread.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If this keeps up there's going to be a disturbance in the force..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So I went and looked at the you tube video SB posted and that is exactly how I maintain my AR but maybe not quite that overindulgent. So now my next question is somebody needs to take a class to know that? When I hear you have to soak a BCG into an open quart of motor oil to make sure it can reciprocate correctly that sounds pretty alarming to me. Further more the analogy that a petroleum product acts the same way inside an AR vs an automobile engine could just be a matter of semantics because internal combustion engines have an oil pump that creates a hydraulic barrier to prevent galling but if that's the way people can associate the action that occurs in an AR I get the jist of it. I'm starting to think that the influx of panic buying that has occurred over the last few years has been an introduction for a lot of folks to they're first real rifle other than a 22 or pump shotgun the old man had lying around and the AR platform provides an opportunity for the end user to do some work and enjoy the rifle without a lathe. Im no fire arms expert or gunsmith but have a fair share of experience in alot of things mechanical and should have known better to even get involved in such a debate. I only started working on guns as a hobby for about 25 years after I quit building engines and motorcycles. As far as bantering about and kicking over how to maintain a weapon so that it works properly I trained my kids to do that stuff when they were teenagers. I picked up right away when guys talk about drilling holes instead of reaming to final dimension but kept my mouth shut knowing full well that's a hack job way of finishing something but to each his own right? As far as integrity, I don't think I need to prove anything to anybody here and could care less. If you don't like what I write, don't read it. And as far as that goes anybody that wants to meet up great, do some shooting on my land or meet at Zekes no problem. Or maybe even some hunting as long as your not a rookie I can work that out as long as I'm not involved with someone from HH. Give me a shout, I can meet tomorrow and its been awhile since I had the AR out so it would probably be fun wringing it out. Just bring some bug spray if your prone to chiggers and no glass targets.

Hmm, how does 40 - 80 PSI of oil pressure create a hydraulic barrier that resists several hundred PSI of combustion pressure?????????

Most auto/motorcycle people also do not understand lube and oil systems.

For an answer to the above, there was an article in Scientific American in the 70s about how the hydraulic pressure is developed in a bearing.

I lube according to Chad. I ran a 3 day carbine course, shooting more than 1000 rounds in 3 days.

NO ISSUES. NO CLEANING. NO EXTRA LUBING. JUST SHOOTING.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Oil pressure creates hydraulic pressure that keeps the crankshaft from contacting the babbit material in homogeneous bearings. Cold start and dirty oil that cannot sufficiently transfer heat to the engine block are contributing factors to early failure in 4 cycle engines. sometimes 4-8 lbs will suffice. Pressure is developed in the oil pump not the bearings. Oh, don't forget to change out your cam bearings when you do a simple overhaul, because of the lack of tooling or not knowing how to use it is almost always the culprit when pressure goes down at low rpm. Thanks for the update on your AR ! glad its running well for you mine did today too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I lube according to Chad. I ran a 3 day carbine course, shooting more than 1000 rounds in 3 days.

NO ISSUES. NO CLEANING. NO EXTRA LUBING. JUST SHOOTING.

Im glad to hear the method I have discussed worked for you. :)

Thanks for sharing Pinecone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom