• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I got everything to build an upper. Everything came from BCM. The barrel will only go into the receiver about 1/8 of an inch. I wanted to see if you guys could help? I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

I have my Grandson here and he wanted to do some cool faces.

:mad54: :party29: :cool: :draw: :cop: :gun2: :ninja:

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Not uncommon. If it goes in at all (as your does), grease and a rubber mallet may be all that is needed. The barrel nut does the trick after you get it over halfway. I've also heard of the freezer/heat gun method, but never had to use it myself. Make sure everything you need (barrel nut, etc.) is in place before attempting, if that is needed.

Good luck.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I would use 800 grit paper on the barrel extension and then some antiseize, like switching the barrel on a 10/22. I'd be leary of using a rubber mallet on or near the crown to tap in the barrel. I've built three ARs and never had to bang the barrel in the upper receiver, sounds a little off.

jsnider22

Feb 3, 2012
    Walkersville, MD
    If its a new BCM upper its because they now slightly undersize that part to allow for a tighter fit. I'd go the heat gun method it shouldn't take a whole lot to make it happen but when you do it make sure everything is in place if not pulling the barrel out will be a pain in the ass.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I would use 800 grit paper on the barrel extension and then some antiseize, like switching the barrel on a 10/22. I'd be leary of using a rubber mallet on or near the crown to tap in the barrel. I've built three ARs and never had to bang the barrel in the upper receiver, sounds a little off.

Always good to be leery about banging on the crown, but a rubber mallet will not hurt it... If I really bothers someone, they can use an old A2 flash hider, or something like that for protection.

If re-sizing is absolutely needed (and it may not be in this case), my rule of thumb is to always take material from the cheaper/easier to replace part... There are exceptions, of course, like if the cheaper part is also the serialized part. It's a matter of judgment. But in this case, the choice is between a $100 stripped upper and an approx. $300 barrel.

If the OP does something like this, be sure not to F-up the M-4 feed ramp alignment... it would be VERY easy to make a jam-o-matic gun by sanding in this vicinity. Also, definitely make sure not the remove any anodizing from the feed ramps. That is one of the few places on the AR where the extra surface hardness of anodizing is really mechanically useful.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    784985cd438652c041005ec6e580b93e46b071c158146debfa8dd63d8aa62ffb.jpg

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I wouldn't use anything with graphite in it. Graphite corrodes aluminum.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Can you get the barrel nut on ? If so, that will pull it in, obviously check for any obstructions, burrs, etc. A touch of lube will help as well.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll take it to a gun smith. I built one before but it was a Yankee Hill upper receiver and a BCM barrel and it slid right in. I am in no hurry. I will keep researching. I don't want to buy the stuff for lapping the receiver and or barrel. I was thinking about putting the barrel in the frig. then heat the receiver with a hair dryer use a little lithium grease and see if that will work.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll take it to a gun smith. I built one before but it was a Yankee Hill upper receiver and a BCM barrel and it slid right in. I am in no hurry. I will keep researching. I don't want to buy the stuff for lapping the receiver and or barrel. I was thinking about putting the barrel in the frig. then heat the receiver with a hair dryer use a little lithium grease and see if that will work.

Standard wheel bearing grease (as long as there's no graphite) such as the kind used by many on this forum, including m'self, for AR-15 bolt carriers and bolts, will work fine. Stick the barrel in the freezer for a few hours, pull it out, lightly grease the extension, and you should be able to get it in far enough for the barrel nut to engage the upper receiver threads. That'll seat it the rest of the way.

If you still need help, and you're in SoMD (judging by your mention of the motocross track down there in your location I'm assuming that's the case) come by the AK build party that tc617 is being kind enough to host and I can bring my upper vise blocks and barrel nut wrench and get it assembled for ya there. 2 May, I do believe. Couple weeks away.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Standard wheel bearing grease (as long as there's no graphite) such as the kind used by many on this forum, including m'self, for AR-15 bolt carriers and bolts, will work fine. Stick the barrel in the freezer for a few hours, pull it out, lightly grease the extension, and you should be able to get it in far enough for the barrel nut to engage the upper receiver threads. That'll seat it the rest of the way.

If you still need help, and you're in SoMD (judging by your mention of the motocross track down there in your location I'm assuming that's the case) come by the AK build party that tc617 is being kind enough to host and I can bring my upper vise blocks and barrel nut wrench and get it assembled for ya there. 2 May, I do believe. Couple weeks away.

I really appreciate it AF! I would like to come by the AK build just to see how everything works. I'll even bring some refreshments. I'll check that thread out and see if it's okay. :party29:

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I got the barrel mounted. I did what Armed Ferret suggested and put the barrel in the freezer then heated the receiver with a blow dryer put some white lithium grease on the barrel extension and the barrel slid right in. It went in so easy that it surprised me. Thanks for the info!!

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    BCM purposely undersizes the receiver bore. You are supposed to heat it with a hair dryer till it is about as hot as it will get with a hair dryer (we use a torch here - very lightly). Aluminum expands quickly and the barrel can be slipped in with no issues. DONT use a hammer. A wood block or mallet works, but tap it lightly. Supposedly the tighter fit makes for more accuracy. Although most BCM barrels wont know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom