• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Ok, I took my new (as in, previously unfired) AR to Freestate today. I have a Global Military Group (or similar name) detachable carry handle on it. No matter which way I clicked the windage knob, the point of impact did not change. I could see the sight itself move left or right, but there was no change in POI. Incidently, a few clicks of the elevation did not change the POI either. The rifle shot very nice and tight groups, but I could not zero the rifle. Ideas? I'm leaning towards an issue with the DCH rather than the rifle, though. This is my first AR, so I'm basically 100% clueless...

Other notes:
    The carry handle loosened somewhat during firing. I had to tighten the "mounting" knobs about a quarter turn twice during about 80 rounds fired.

I'm not entirely sure that the carry handle is on 100% properly. it came with no instructions. I haven't tried to look it up on the internet yet. I can't imagine there's any wrong way to do it, though.

there are 52 clicks from extreme left to extreme right on the windage know. up to 8 clicks in either direction did not discernibly move the groupings.

I'm going to Elk Neck next week to try shooting it from a bench to see if I get different results. The lighting conditions were not ideal for my old eyes a Freestate (not a dig on them by any means) so it's possible I wasn't seeing the peep sight properly.

The same ammo was used throughout testing.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    How far away was the target? An indoor range at short range, you will have to crank a long way to see a difference in POI. The difference at 20yds versus 100yds is a 5 fold difference. A few clicks at 100 is 5x that at 20.

I have never mounted a DCH on an AR, so can't help there, but you need to be sure it is mounted securely, or you won't be able to get it sighted properly. I imagine the cheek weld is pretty high on a DCH equipped AR too, be sure you are properly sighting using both sights on each shot.. ;)

Also the height above sight is pretty extreme for a DCH sight setup, so you will be shooting well low at 20, as compared to 100 yards..

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    How far away was the target? An indoor range at short range, you will have to crank a long way to see a difference in POI. The difference at 20yds versus 100yds is a 5 fold difference. A few clicks at 100 is 5x that at 20.

Also the height above sight is pretty extreme for a DCH sight setup, so you will be shooting well low at 20, as compared to 100 yards..

I would have guessed the exact opposite - that shorter range would have made a much more dramatic difference that at longer ranges. See what I know? ;)

target was at 10 yards for bit, just to make sure I could get on paper, then at 25 yards for most of the rounds fired.

I wasn't appreciably low at 25 yards. When I shot the test rounds (more for gun function than for sighting in) at 10 yards, it was about a half inch low. it was enough that I didn't mess with the elevation knob at first.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Take it outdoors and put a little distance between you and the target. Get it on paper at 50yds, a couple inches low is fine. It should rise as you step back to 100yds and be close, then you can fine-tune it.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I do not own one, but on a carry handle, are the sights different? I always thought the larger hole in the rear peep is for the shorter distances?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You need to get to an outdoor range. Then you need a front sight adjustment tool. You use the front sight to get your elevation set.

jwhite407

Always Packing
    Jan 31, 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore
    I had the same issue yesterday on my project gun. The barrel came with the post sight. I picked up the same kind of detachable handle, and used the small peep. I started at 50 yards and wasn't even on paper! I ended up going in to 10 yards, and I could see my very tight pattern was dead on center, but extreme right. Fortunately the target was on a big piece of heavy cardboard, or I may never have seen them. Once I moved the sight left I was good. Happy shooting!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sight clicks are in MOA (Minutes of Angle). 1 MOA Is about 1 inch at 100 yards (actually 1.047 inches at 100 yards).

I forget what the AR sight adjusts at, but typically military battle sights are 1 MOA clicks. So each click is about 1 inch at 100 yards. But at 25 yards, each click is only 1/4". At 200 yards, each click is 2 inches... And so forth.

If the sights adjust at 1/2 MOA, cut that in half. With a 1/2 MOA adjustment, at 25 yards, 8 clicks would be 1 inch.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Is your eye too far away from the rear sight?

I had a similar situation, having never used a peep sight before, and that was my problem.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Is your eye too far away from the rear sight?

I had a similar situation, having never used a peep sight before, and that was my problem.

Possible. I thought I had a good position and I shoot my garand pretty darned well, but I'm not experienced with AR15s by any means.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Update. The front sight was canted and the upper was sent back to psa. It got back to me in one week, with a verification target and a nice letter. Unfortunately, I still cant zero it. Im wondering if it is my inability to work the sights correctly or if the carry handle is plain bad. I need to try a different carry handle to be sure, though. Im also going to try to contact the manufacturer - global military gear. Ive contacted psa to find out if my upper has an F marked sight, maybe the DCH doesnt work with my sight?

I have put 200 plus rounds through it and still nothing close to zero. I would be lying if I said I wasnt frustrated by the experience.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Update. The front sight was canted and the upper was sent back to psa. It got back to me in one week, with a verification target and a nice letter. Unfortunately, I still cant zero it. Im wondering if it is my inability to work the sights correctly or if the carry handle is plain bad. I need to try a different carry handle to be sure, though. Im also going to try to contact the manufacturer - global military gear. Ive contacted psa to find out if my upper has an F marked sight, maybe the DCH doesnt work with my sight?

I have put 200 plus rounds through it and still nothing close to zero. I would be lying if I said I wasnt frustrated by the experience.

Did PSA replace the upper, or just fiddle with what you sent? If an A2 front sight, a standard back up iron rear (such as a Magpul) will align properly with it.

A laser bore sighter might be worth playing with if you want to get a sense of the sight picture to make adjustments (and have space) before hitting the range.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Did PSA replace the upper, or just fiddle with what you sent? If an A2 front sight, a standard back up iron rear (such as a Magpul) will align properly with it.

A laser bore sighter might be worth playing with if you want to get a sense of the sight picture to make adjustments (and have space) before hitting the range.

I have a laser bore sighter if you want to try that

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    What are you doing this Saturday? I can help you chase your zero at Hap Baker.

Hap Baker is a little far for me, this weekend. Thanks for the offer, though. perhaps another weekend?

They adjusted it. I really want a carry handle to preserve the vintage look, but a BUIS might be a really good test of the rifle.

I have a laser bore sighter if you want to try that

Thanks for the offer.

I've contacted the manufacturer of the carry handle. hopefully they get back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom