• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    Trying to put together a AR. I bought the DPMS lower with m4 stock from command surplus.com today. When I was looking for uppers today I noticed the lower I bought say 16 inch. Does this mean that I can only put a 16 inch barreled upper on it? found a nice 20 inch flat top and wanted to do that so I'm not stuck with the carry handle that does not come off. Bye the way that's the only other upper I found for a good price. Also how is the lower handled for transfer. Set it up for ffl transfer but do I have to register the whole rifle when it's finished. Thanks

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    wow i've never heard of a lower being marked unless it was a short barrel rifle
    i don't think you will be violating any laws putting a longer barrel on it.

gotguns

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    NO you can put any size upper/barrel legal by the A.T.F. (16 inch or longer)
    The lower should be transfered through an F.F.L. holder. Only the lower is treated like a regulated firearm in MD. (MSP 77r1/77r2 + waiting period) The upper you can add later and as long as it is of legal status (barrel length) MSP does not know what you put on.

Hope this helps. Do you need an FFL. to do the transfer?

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    I have a FFL lined up, thank you though. I just wondering if the lower marker 16 will fit a upper with a 20 inch barrel.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Yes, that should be fine with any upper you want, unless you are getting an upper for some larger caliber such as .308, but I assume you aren't.

Cetmeman

Jun 2, 2008
    Parkville
    Thanks for the feedback. I also had one more question about buying an upper. All the complete uppers I can find say that the bolt carrier assembly is included. Does this mean that the bolt is included or not. Just asking because I have seen this everywhere. Thanks again

t3tech

Oct 15, 2007
    Elkton
    Thanks for the feedback. I also had one more question about buying an upper. All the complete uppers I can find say that the bolt carrier assembly is included. Does this mean that the bolt is included or not. Just asking because I have seen this everywhere. Thanks again

The bolt is typically part of the carrier assembly. Saying that that the bolt carrier assembly is included basically indicates that it is a complete upper already assembled and ready to go rather than just the upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom