• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I'm starting a AR 308 build and was wondering where you are having luck finding parts for these rifles. Also looking for advice as to barrels, BCGs etc...

My rifle is DPMS pattern if that helps.

Thanks,

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Parts are out there, just a little pricey. I have decided after much looking around my Black Rain is going to get a Rainier Ultra match barrel (Shilen blank turned by white oak armament). I figured a black Rain BCG in Nickel Boron was safe. I hope to get this done this summer, it only takes $$

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Parts are out there, just a little pricey. I have decided after much looking around my Black Rain is going to get a Rainier Ultra match barrel (Shilen blank turned by white oak armament). I figured a black Rain BCG in Nickel Boron was safe. I hope to get this done this summer, it only takes $$

Yeah. That's where I am right now. I have a Black Rain Upper Lower set from 2A and was looking at Rainier also but wasn't sure about them. I know I'm going to spend a lot of money on this. That's the reason I decided to build my own vs. buy whole, I don't have the money all at once to buy whole plus it's fun to build and a good way to know the ins and outs of the rifle. I wasn't sure if I was missing some retailers because the searches were only turning up a few that seemed to have parts.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Which parts are DPMS?

They make fine parts.

Good question. That seems to be the hardest part. Some parts are interchangeable with all the AR308 platforms and AR 15. Some are DPMS, Armalite or others. It's not always clear as to if they are compatible or not.

I must confess, I had built an AR 15 before and knew about the differences between the AR 308 platforms but didn't know it would be this difficult to figure out. Some online retailers don't list what platform the parts are for. I will say most do.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Good question. That seems to be the hardest part. Some parts are interchangeable with all the AR308 platforms and AR 15. Some are DPMS, Armalite or others. It's not always clear as to if they are compatible or not.

I must confess, I had built an AR 15 before and knew about the differences between the AR 308 platforms but didn't know it would be this difficult to figure out. Some online retailers don't list what platform the parts are for. I will say most do.

What were you referring to when you said DPMS pattern?

Your lower is a DPMS?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    2A's price on BCG is reasonable. I will probably get them to get me the black rain hand guard. My LPK is a CMMG, buffer, tube and spring are DPMS. ALG trigger, Magpul ACS stock. Barrels are difficult to find, Black Rain uses black hole weaponry, 2A has some, just not one I would want, I'm going 20".

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I bought the same Black Rain Ordinance set last year and have been slowly putting it together.

Lower got a Magpul AR10 PRS stock, DPMS lower build kit, but I replaced the trigger with an ALG ACT trigger (like them a lot, may change the springs to the JP 3.5# spring later on). Magpul MIAD grip

Upper has the Bravo Company USA 7.62 upgraded charging handle mod/4 with the medium latch..much easier to use than the standard.

And last week, after finally getting my tax return, I ordered a bunch of goodies from JP rifles to finish it off. Have their 22" barrel kit (with compensator, heat sink for the barrel, adjustable low profile gas block, and matched bolt, plus got their longest free float handguard for it as well).

To complete the build, I already have the JP rifles captured spring buffer system, and also ordered the AR10 LMOS bolt carrier to go with the matched bolt.

2A said about 3-4 weeks for the parts to arrive, then they will assemble the upper to complete it for me, will post pics when it is done... this should be fun at extended ranges over 200 yards... have heard good things about the accuracy of the JP barrels...

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    FYI: the BRO 308 lower I had was NOT compatible with my DPMS 308 upper. The rear tab on the upper that the takedown pin slides through was too wide to fit on the BRO lower. Because of this I sold my BRO matching upper/lower.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    FYI: the BRO 308 lower I had was NOT compatible with my DPMS 308 upper. The rear tab on the upper that the takedown pin slides through was too wide to fit on the BRO lower. Because of this I sold my BRO matching upper/lower.

I have been wondering how compatible these are with other Mfg's. I would like to have a backup but keep telling myself the un-built Fulton M14 receiver I have will be back up enough, once it is built and installed in a JAE stock. :rolleyes:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    trolling?

Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

perhaps you meant "lurking".

"trolling" is what I do.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    trolling?

Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

perhaps you meant "lurking".

"trolling" is what I do.

And you do it well, see 3D below though but as a troll, don't let facts get in the way of commenting.

Full Definition of TROLL

transitive verb
    : to cause to move round and round : roll
    a : to sing the parts of (as a round or catch) in succession
    b : to sing loudly
    c : to celebrate in song
    a : to fish for by trolling
    b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes>
    c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure>
    d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : prowl <troll nightclubs>

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Magpul PRS stock is what I'm going with sounds like the DPMS buffer tube is the way to go. Right now I'm trying to find the lower parts kit without the trigger group. I bought a Geissele trigger for it. Hopefully if money isn't too bad I'll be looking at buying a barrel and BCG towards the end of summer. I'll check out the JP barrels too. Thanks for the heads up.

The guy at 2A warned me about the 308 platform uppers and lowers fitting. He said there was so much variance from each manufacturer that it was difficult to get two brands to fit. That's why I bought the BRO set and not the DPMS lower he had in the shop.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Magpul PRS stock is what I'm going with sounds like the DPMS buffer tube is the way to go. Right now I'm trying to find the lower parts kit without the trigger group. I bought a Geissele trigger for it. Hopefully if money isn't too bad I'll be looking at buying a barrel and BCG towards the end of summer. I'll check out the JP barrels too. Thanks for the heads up.

The guy at 2A warned me about the 308 platform uppers and lowers fitting. He said there was so much variance from each manufacturer that it was difficult to get two brands to fit. That's why I bought the BRO set and not the DPMS lower he had in the shop.

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.firearms4less.com/lower-...r-parts-kit-no-trigger.html#arpartsfinder.com

Here is another site you can use to try to find parts found your lower kit through it.

http://www.arpartsfinder.com/index.htm

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    And you do it well, see 3D below though but as a troll, don't let facts get in the way of commenting.

Full Definition of TROLL

transitive verb
    : to cause to move round and round : roll
    a : to sing the parts of (as a round or catch) in succession
    b : to sing loudly
    c : to celebrate in song
    a : to fish for by trolling
    b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes>
    c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure>
    d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : prowl <troll nightclubs>

You should look up the definition as it applies to internet forums. Then maybe you'll understand why you're wrong.

Not holding my breath, but hey, everyone can change....

If you'll excuse me, I'm due to go celebrate in song in the Water Cooler now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom