• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Not quite sure which forum this belongs in, but I'm trying to figure out a new muzzle device for a 8" barrel AR-9. I have a Banish 45 in NFA land, and ideally I'd be able to quickly (ish, without tools) switch between it and a compensator. Does anyone make something like this? My Mark 4 compensator can be screwed on by hand, and just has an o ring keeping it in place. But that may be just because 22lr vs 9mm.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Honestly, because the banish is direct thread, you are going to have problems with this. An even the high temp orings (viton, EPDM) start to degrade at about 200deg.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Don’t forget to run a fixed barrel spacer if you’re using the Banish 45 piston on a fixed barrel firearm like an AR9.

Do you have a specific muzzle device in mind already? It sounds like what you want is a quick detach system, because direct thread with an O ring isn’t a good solution for a PCC. Unfortunately the Banish 45, while a perfectly acceptable suppressor, is going to limit you to whatever is available from Silencer Central. Last I checked, Mack Bros was making their Banish cans for them, so you might be able to reach out to them to figure out what your options are. If you can get ahold of the tube thread specifications or can find out more info, the two best fit options I can think of are a trilug adapter and the Griffin Armament EZlok attachment systems.

Trilug you could easily swap between your suppressor and something over the top like this:

Edit: also no offense but Silencer Central sort of takes advantage of new suppressor buyers with the ship to you thing (any FFL can do that in states where it is legal if they know how, mine will do it for instance) and then you’re stuck with their proprietary expensive stuff. If you buy another suppressor down the road, highly recommend you spend some time researching what you want to be able to do with a can prior to making any purchases. For instance if you had purchased a can from Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin Armament, SilencerCo, or a number of other manufacturers who have a lot of cross compatibility and modularity, what you want to would be super easy to accomplish multiple different ways (QD mounting system like Plan A, KeyMo, etc / Trilug / EZ Lok, etc)

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yes, what Woodline said. You are buying into a mounting system, not just a suppressor.
    It is like buying a SLR/Mirrorless camera. The camera body (suppressor hosts) will come an go, but lens (can) will stay.
    AR9's are usually 1/2x36 thread. so there is that. Make sure you get the correct thread pitch on the device. Different calibers have different threads.
    ETA, didn't see you already purchased the can, but the above still hold true.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Honestly, because the banish is direct thread, you are going to have problems with this. An even the high temp orings (viton, EPDM) start to degrade at about 200deg.
    I ordered the spacer to run it on a fixed barrel, but was hoping to not have to re-time a compensator every time I take the can off the AR-9.
    Don’t forget to run a fixed barrel spacer if you’re using the Banish 45 piston on a fixed barrel firearm like an AR9.

Do you have a specific muzzle device in mind already? It sounds like what you want is a quick detach system, because direct thread with an O ring isn’t a good solution for a PCC. Unfortunately the Banish 45, while a perfectly acceptable suppressor, is going to limit you to whatever is available from Silencer Central. Last I checked, Mack Bros was making their Banish cans for them, so you might be able to reach out to them to figure out what your options are. If you can get ahold of the tube thread specifications or can find out more info, the two best fit options I can think of are a trilug adapter and the Griffin Armament EZlok attachment systems.

Trilug you could easily swap between your suppressor and something over the top like this:

Edit: also no offense but Silencer Central sort of takes advantage of new suppressor buyers with the ship to you thing (any FFL can do that in states where it is legal if they know how, mine will do it for instance) and then you’re stuck with their proprietary expensive stuff. If you buy another suppressor down the road, highly recommend you spend some time researching what you want to be able to do with a can prior to making any purchases. For instance if you had purchased a can from Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin Armament, SilencerCo, or a number of other manufacturers who have a lot of cross compatibility and modularity, what you want to would be super easy to accomplish multiple different ways (QD mounting system like Plan A, KeyMo, etc / Trilug / EZ Lok, etc)
    None taken, I'm definitely new to the NFA game. I'll definitely give them a call, and see if there's any options. I did do some research before buying this, this was the only user serviceable suppressor with titanium baffles that I could find.

Definitely planning more in the future so this build may get a dedicated suppressor anyway.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I ordered the spacer to run it on a fixed barrel, but was hoping to not have to re-time a compensator every time I take the can off the AR-9.

None taken, I'm definitely new to the NFA game. I'll definitely give them a call, and see if there's any options. I did do some research before buying this, this was the only user serviceable suppressor with titanium baffles that I could find.

Definitely planning more in the future so this build may get a dedicated suppressor anyway.
    For 9mm there’s this:

For .45 acp I’m not aware of anything completely titanium, but the weight savings aren’t great vs industry standard cans like the Rugged Obsidian, based on the specs.

That said the Banish products tend to meter competitively, and I bet you’ll like it a lot in its short configuration on a pistol.

For your AR9, look at something like the Dead Air Wolfman, Resilient RS9, GSL Phoenix, Curtis Tactical CT9KS, YHM R9, Omega 36m/Griffin Bushwhacker 36, Omega 9K, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom