• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Anybody see the new issue of guns and ammo? It's got what supposed to be an AR/AK hybrid.

Pretty cool. Didn't look as weird as I thought it would. Got a little more curve to the mag though because it shoots 7.62x39.

Not that it matters though because they MAY BE BANNED HERE IN A COUPLE MONTHS!!!!:mad54:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Would they be banned?

I have not seen them yet so don't know what they look like, I am only going by your description.

However if they are not a named firearm or copycat, then they would have to fail the 2 feature test.

Would they fail that test?

KRONIK27

DorseyGS
    Mar 12, 2009
    Washington County
    Yes saw the New Issue.... that is a pretty sweet rifle. Just buy the Upper and slap it on a AR Lower and get some 7.62 AR mags and good to go. Next project after I buy some more Lowers.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I can't remember who made them but there were some uppers on the market that looked pretty cool

I may try one once things settle down since I have plenty of lowers

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Thats it, pretty nice system though pricey. Frankly I used to be a big piston fan, then over years and shooting I realized that DI was just as solid as long as it was reasonably lubed (e.g., motor oil), under 2000 rds between cleaning etc. That said at there price point its going to be hard to compete, there are lots of 5.56 competitors and .300 AAC as admirable as its ballistics are is becoming obsolete due to low ammo and component quanities (I still havent even had a chance to run my cheap SOTA upper).

7.62*39 in a reliable package with ASC or C prod mags would have been a very interesting alternative, but I dont see it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Is this really different than a 7.62x39 chambered upper w/ a piston kit installed? I have a Colt 7.62 upper. Adding a multi-rail forearm + piston parts would probably come close to their asking price. As a specialty piece its not too badly priced. Look at The long integrated uppers from AP, VLTOR, etc. Mega bucks for that part alone...

I think a more useful piece would be those AR lowers that have the magwells cut for AK mags (can't think of the manufacturer offhand.) Though would no longer be interchangeable w/ regular AR uppers.

Edit: Opps, these aren't even 7.62. Just an odd way to put together a 5.56/300BLK upper. Can probably build a AP/VLTOR integrated upper for similar cost and retain high parts availability & interchangeablity. Ok, so I don't really see the point of these now.

KRONIK27

DorseyGS
    Mar 12, 2009
    Washington County
    I think a more useful piece would be those AR lowers that have the magwells cut for AK mags (can't think of the manufacturer offhand.) Though would no longer be interchangeable w/ regular AR uppers

Rock River Arms has lowers that accept AK mags. Pretty Pricey for a AR Lower that takes AK mags. But they do look freakin Awesome. Thought of purchasing one just to have when I start my 7.62x39 AR project.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Rock River Arms has lowers that accept AK mags. Pretty Pricey for a AR Lower that takes AK mags. But they do look freakin Awesome. Thought of purchasing one just to have when I start my 7.62x39 AR project.

Unfortunately no one seems to have the LAR-47, Rock River has not been very forthcoming on when it will be available, it was to debut around the Sandy Hook Incident

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

That is a very interesting setup. Basically an AK gas system and bolt carrier in an AR lower. Might be the worst of both worlds though. You would still have that big hunk of metal cycling back and forth, affecting accuracy and followup shots; but you'd also (presumably) still have the tight tolerances of an AR lower, which means you are not going to have AK reliability. Still a cool design. But i think i'd rather have one of those RRA ARs that take AK mags, those are sweet.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=558

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That is a very interesting setup. Basically an AK gas system and bolt carrier in an AR lower. Might be the worst of both worlds though. You would still have that big hunk of metal cycling back and forth, affecting accuracy and followup shots; but you'd also (presumably) still have the tight tolerances of an AR lower, which means you are not going to have AK reliability. Still a cool design.
    Interesting. I see it as the best of both worlds: the AK's reliable operating system and ability to take a folding stock combined with the AR's ergos. Well, almost the best of both worlds... AR 7.62x39 mags are still controversial.

But i think i'd rather have one of those RRA ARs that take AK mags, those are sweet.
    Note: the LAR-47 is not compatible with standard AR uppers. It is essentially a new rifle derived from the AR-15. (It'd probably escape the ban, too!)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Note: the LAR-47 is not compatible with standard AR uppers. It is essentially a new rifle derived from the AR-15. (It'd probably escape the ban, too!)

Or they will double ban it since its and AR and AK. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom