• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    So I would like to build 2 AR's; one for each of my young children. My thinking is I have 2 Pre 2013 lowers I was going to build into HBAR's and then transfer them into a trust for them. My concern is if another '94 AWB happens how could I transfer them in the future to them. This is the only logistical way I could think of but I must be missing something right?

Bourbonstamps

Dec 23, 2015
    Grandfathered AWB may pass through inheritance so why not use non-hbar barrel and just be done with it?

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    Why is it against the law. I bought them pre 2013. I can build whatever I want with them. My concern is the hand down in the future to my children. I thought if I wanted to transfer them in MD to a trus they would have to be HBAR.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Why is it against the law. I bought them pre 2013. I can build whatever I want with them. My concern is the hand down in the future to my children. I thought if I wanted to transfer them in MD to a trus they would have to be HBAR.

IANAL
    I guess that is the real question. This sparked my curiosity.
    Is there a procedure to transfer ownership of a non-NFA firearm to a trust?
    In some quick searching, the rest of America these would non-titled property and could just be assigned to the trust.

But in Maryland these are essentially titled property ie there is registration and a transfer process via the 77R.

In Maryland could you do a 77R as a trust? I don't think you can.

If you could then submitting a 77R to transfer to a trust would indeed be a transfer which I would imagine be denied.

IMHO doing stuff like this is a wasted effort and a sign that we are at or beyond the point of no return with respect to our gun rights.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am sure the OP slapped a non-HBar upper on those pre-SB281 lowers before Oct 2013. So he should be good to go and should confirm in this public forum. To his question, How does the inheritance work if your children are not of age to own the said firearm at the time you pass? Can there be some kind of intermediary that holds the firearm until they reach the age, like a relative? Would that person have access during that time for use/cleaning/storage and just not be able to sell it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom