• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    so I'm interested in doing an AR pistol (which I will probably ultimately want to turn into an sbr). I have my engage lower and I'm pricing out and going to start ordering all my parts. knowing that I will eventually sbr it I'm curious if it's ok to buy/put on a carbine or rifle buffer tube on it that will accept a rifle stock. (I would not be ordering the stock or have one in my home until I got the forms and stamp back). I'm unclear if this would count as "intent" to build a sbr or not and if it could land me into trouble. I may ultimately choose to just buy a pistol buffer tube and go with the better safe than sorry approach if I can't get a definite answer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Personally, I'd justify the expenditure of a dedicated pistol buffer-tube and not worry about any of the 'what-if's' of running a bare carbine/rifle buffer tube.

I don't know if it could be construed as intent, but why bother with the potential headaches...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    yeah, I hear ya. it's not like it's a huge extra expense, I just like to save money where/if I can.

Save it where possible, I'm all for. :thumbsup:

But the possible repercussions far outweigh the rather small savings IMO. It'd be very small odds (I imagine) of running into an issue doing it, but the fact that it could readily accept a stock and be an illegal sbr just wouldn't be something I'd be comfortable doing - your 2a rights vs. the cost of a pistol buffer setup, easy choice in my eyes. :)

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    If a stock can be readily attached don't do it. If you get a buffer tube that would accept a stock, you need to make it so that it won't accept a stock. You can cord wrap it, perhaps to prevent a stock from inadvertently being attached to it.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    My friend, you are playing a high-stakes game. Though a pistol buffer tube may or may not be strickly needed, I would buy the buffer tube... $50 part v. risk of up to $250,000 fine and 10 years in jail (unregistered SBR) + permenant loss of voting and 2A rights... seems an easy decision to me.

That said, here's what the ATF has to say about it... take it for what you will. Also note that the ATF can change its mind and reverse positions at will.

BB.JPG

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    I appreciate all the people who have responded to this thread and I will follow the collective advice of the group and get the pistol buffer tube.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Not to beat a dead horse, as I think the OP is making the "smart" decision, but... if he never ordered a rifle stock, how could that be construed as intent? It's pretty hard to "readily" install a stock if there is no such stock in your possession. I'm just clarifying for my future reference; I have plans to build an AR pistol that I will eventually turn into an SBR. TIA.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Not to beat a dead horse, as I think the OP is making the "smart" decision, but... if he never ordered a rifle stock, how could that be construed as intent? It's pretty hard to "readily" install a stock if there is no such stock in your possession. I'm just clarifying for my future reference; I have plans to build an AR pistol that I will eventually turn into an SBR. TIA.

Read my post above... read the ATF ruling.

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    A mixture of not knowing enough, and also wanting to have something to play with right away. I did tell them my intent was to build an ar pistol and that I wanted to make sure it wasn't marked as a rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom