• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I just finished building my AR pistol and it comes in at 27in with the flash hider on. If I were to pin the hider, I could then use a VFG instead of the AFG. irks me that I'm about a 1/2in too short on the oal, but ohh well. I'm waiting on a silencerco hybrid can, so I'm thinking about getting whatever mount needed for the can and pinning that on the pistol so I can use the VFG. Think it's worth it, or should I just stick with the AFG? The AFG is ok, but I do like the feel of the VFG much better. Only additional concern would be if the governing body changes their mind again and then I have an unnecessarily pinned flash hider. Guess that's as easy as replacing the flash hider though... first world problems

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Vertical foregrips suck and aren't as stable as a good overhand C clamp grip anyway.

You'll regret having it pinned when you get a silencer one day. Trust me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I may be wrong, but I think the 29" OAL only applies to SBRs. As a pistol, length issues are irrelevant.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    No, 29" OAL only applies to non-banned rifles and VFG on a pistol is a no-no hence the question. AFG is OK oddly and you can have a bipod which could act as a VFG. If you want a VFG on anything under 29" OAL you will have to SBR it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    No, 29" OAL only applies to non-banned rifles and VFG on a pistol is a no-no hence the question. AFG is OK oddly and you can have a bipod which could act as a VFG. If you want a VFG on anything under 29" OAL you will have to SBR it.

Per ATF an AR pistol over 26" OAL is no longer a "concealable weapon" and VFGs are allowed.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    So then the OP doesn't have an issue since he's at 27". Didn't know that one.

the OAL is from the butt of the buffer tube to the ends of the muzzle threads, UNLESS your flash hider is pinned. If I were to pin the hider, I would be fine. Take the hider off, and I'm 1/2 an in too short. I'll probably end up getting the can mount pinned down the road, but for now, I'll stick with the AFG.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Vertical foregrips suck and aren't as stable as a good overhand C clamp grip anyway.

You'll regret having it pinned when you get a silencer one day. Trust me.

I hear ya. I don't currently have the time or money to spend on ammo to get proficient with a better shooting technique. I'd claim this would be my home defense setup, but mostly will end up being for plinking, maybe hunting. I'm comfortable with the VFG, but really do need to get on the range soon.

I have to look into my can that's in jail, but it has a quick mounting adapter / hider, so I'm thinking about just getting that pinned if it satisfies the length requirement.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    is there any negative to pinning really other than hassle of getting it removed? I've seen videos of people unpinning their hider and being able to reuse it afterwards. I would take it in to a gunsmith b/c I would definitely **** it up

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    is there any negative to pinning really other than hassle of getting it removed? I've seen videos of people unpinning their hider and being able to reuse it afterwards. I would take it in to a gunsmith b/c I would definitely **** it up

Most muzzle devices get trashed when they are removed after pinning. Consider the muzzle device disposable if you change your mind on a muzzle device after having it pinned.

Pin jobs not something all "Smith's" do properly or well. There are some former MDS I.P's that have done so e really messed up work with pin jobs, so just beware.

I have seen some beautiful pin jobs where the gun shot for crap because the muzzle device was overtorqued when installed. Too much torque can affect consistency due to the way the flash hoder stresses the barrel. I suggest people stay under 30 FT# and apply Rocksett to keep stresses low. I prefer 20 FT# but that can be hard when timing with shims.

If you do this I suggest you pick a quick detach muzzle device designed for a suppressor that you plan to buy down the road and have that pinned by a reputable AR Armorer or Smith.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    the OAL is from the butt of the buffer tube to the ends of the muzzle threads, UNLESS your flash hider is pinned. If I were to pin the hider, I would be fine. Take the hider off, and I'm 1/2 an in too short. I'll probably end up getting the can mount pinned down the road, but for now, I'll stick with the AFG.

No.

It must be pinned AND welded to be considered part of the OAL. Pinned is not considered a permanent addition. Please keep that in mind.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    If you do this I suggest you pick a quick detach muzzle device designed for a suppressor that you plan to buy down the road and have that pinned by a reputable AR Armorer or Smith.

yeah what I was thinking. Got 6-8 months of NFA jail to wait, so I have plenty of time to decide. you still doing this kind of work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom