• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Great just what I needed another project.

The other day I saw a good price on a pistol length piston upper and couldn't think of why I would want it. I never really liked the buffer tube sticking out of an AR pistol. Now I see there is a plug available when used with some piston uppers. Great even less money in the bank, I'll never be able to retire.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Actually MD does call them Assault Pistols....

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-3/4-301/

And probably cuz dem white bois is skerred of gangz

I'm not sure a standard AR platform pistol, falls under any of the listed firearms.

The closest thing is probably the "Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol", but that's such a generic description at best.

Even then the ones I have found are either pistol caliber variants, or piston systems.
    I even found a bullpup design, so I'm not sure a standard AR platform even falls under this label.

It states specific models or a "copy" of these models.

Now we have to define "copy"....

Surely it's only a "copy" if it's an exact replica?

Right down to mechanical workings, design and caliber.

So I still don't think an AR platform pistols can be classed as any firearm on that list.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Out if curiosity, why were they made illegal? Guessing a usual leftist knee jerk type ban...

Are the ones grandfathered in still transferable?

They were made illegal because some politicians were scared of their looks. The ban on 'assault pistols' occured shortly after the ban on 'saturday night specials' since they were now 'the weapon of choice among drug dealers'.:rolleyes:

They are transferable in Md. to heirs of an estate or they can be sold to someone out of state - federal laws followed of course.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm not sure a standard AR platform pistol, falls under any of the listed firearms.

The closest thing is probably the "Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol", but that's such a generic description at best.

Even then the ones I have found are either pistol caliber variants, or piston systems.
    I even found a bullpup design, so I'm not sure a standard AR platform even falls under this label.

It states specific models or a "copy" of these models.

Now we have to define "copy"....

Surely it's only a "copy" if it's an exact replica?

Right down to mechanical workings, design and caliber.

So I still don't think an AR platform pistols can be classed as any firearm on that list.

The AR pattern pistols are not a copy of any listed firearm and there are currently even a couple (from Bushmaster I believe) that are on the approved list for sale in Md. Search is your friend.;)

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    The AR pattern pistols are not a copy of any listed firearm and there are currently even a couple (from Bushmaster I believe) that are on the approved list for sale in Md. Search is your friend.;)

I intend on completing my pistol build, don't worry :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Correct. The Bushmaster pistol on the list is NOT an AR pistol.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Great just what I needed another project.

The other day I saw a good price on a pistol length piston upper and couldn't think of why I would want it. I never really liked the buffer tube sticking out of an AR pistol. Now I see there is a plug available when used with some piston uppers. Great even less money in the bank, I'll never be able to retire.

Which one? Where? How much?

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    This is the Bushmaster pistol in question... Nothing AR about it. Seems the Bushmaster name conjures up images of AR-15 profile firearms which leads to confusion.

bushmaster_rightside_mag_web.jpg

As I understand it there is no issue building an AR pistol, but to buy an already built model requires it being on MSP list. For example, I believe the LWRC pistol is on the list. So once you build your pistol, you can't sell it.

***Just realized I had made a post identical to this one on page one of this thread...

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    This is the Bushmaster pistol in question... Nothing AR about it. Seems the Bushmaster name conjures up images of AR-15 profile firearms which leads to confusion.

bushmaster_rightside_mag_web.jpg

As I understand it there is no issue building an AR pistol, but to buy an already built model requires it being on MSP list. For example, I believe the LWRC pistol is on the list. So once you build your pistol, you can't sell it.

***Just realized I had made a post identical to this one on page one of this thread...

[YT]Jk7WuvNKe_g[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom