• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    So I got two days left til I can pick up my colt 6920. I have been trying to find an optic that I like and will do what I need it to. The gun will be used for plinking, fox/coyote hunting, ground hogs, etc. The vast majority of hunting will be done at night.

So far I figured I want something with at least 3x magnification, but 4x with variable adjustment is preferred I also wouldnt mind more magnification but I dont really wanna put a rifle scope on my AR. I'd also like an illuminated recticle and possibly hold over markers.

I am looking to spend less than $500, but if its something I want I am willing to go over that mark.

So far I like:
    leopold vx-r patrol 1.25-4x
    Burris AR 336

What would you all recommend ?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The Vortex Viper 1-4x...

e9a5bf82.jpg

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Another vote for the Vortex 1-4x, but go for the capped turrets model. The recticle has built in hold-overs, and for the range you may be shooting using the hold-overs is quicker then fiddling with the target turrets. Plus you don't need to worry about bumping the turrets off of zero.

The Leupold VX-R line is a good choice also.

Last edited:

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Thanks for the replies! I did a little research and I like what both the vortex and leupold have to offer.

Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm
    Eye relief-4.1in
    Length-9.5in
    Weight-11.5oz

Price below $500

Vortex Viper 1-4x24mm
    Eye relief-4in
    Length-9.7in
    Weight-16oz

Price below $500

As of now I think I am leaning toward the leupold, but I like the vortex recticle better which is kind of a big deal.... Keep the comments coming.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339039181103.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1339039181103.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 416
    • uploadfromtaptalk1339039322944.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1339039322944.jpg
      6.8 KB · Views: 450

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm

Where did you find one for under $500? They are usually closer to $600. The only thing I don't like about the Leupold is the rubber button on the side; that sort of stuff wears out and cracks over time. Of course the Vortex has a big old honking knob on it for the illumination, so I guess it's not much better.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Had one on my AR and just wasn't happy with it. Just had too much trouble keeping it sighted in. Ended up putting a Vortex Diamondback on last week and it works great.

I think the biggest drawback to the Nilon M-223 and P-223 is the size of the circles on the BDC reticle; they're just way to big.

63868e0c.jpg

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Where did you find one for under $500? They are usually closer to $600. The only thing I don't like about the Leupold is the rubber button on the side; that sort of stuff wears out and cracks over time. Of course the Vortex has a big old honking knob on it for the illumination, so I guess it's not much better.

Just using good ole Google...I think the lowest I found was $480 and the highest was about $580. Just gotta shop around.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    there are two different models; the VX R Patrol- $580 and the VX R Rifle- $450

I think I might opt for the Mark version, non illuminated for $200 less though

Edit: there is a difference in the turrets, 1/10th mil vs 1/4 mil, holdover mark, and maybe the glass itself.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    there are two different models; the VX R Patrol- $580 and the VX R Rifle- $450

I think I might opt for the Mark version, non illuminated for $200 less though

Edit: there is a difference in the turrets, 1/10th mil vs 1/4 mil, holdover mark, and maybe the glass itself.

Good call

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom