• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I recently finished an ar build, everything works as intended, but the upper and lower are extremely tight. Tight enough that I have to use a hammer and punch to get them apart. None of my other rifles have been this difficult to disassemble. All rifles are built on stag uppers and lowers. I'm wondering if this could cause any wear issues long term.

I'm probably a little over concerned because this is a pre ban lower, I want to make sure I don't damage it unnecessarily.

Other uppers fit fine on this lower, so I think the issue is coming from the upper side. Should I leave it alone, or have someone look at it?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You should mark these as a matched pair. People spend money to get a tight fit like that. Use this set when you decide to build a super accurate gun.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I know you ideally want a good fit, but this seems like too much. It's tough to explain without actually handling it. It feels like maybe the pin holes in the upper are too tight, or maybe not perfectly straight

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    don't change anything!!!

The fitment will become looser as time goes on, and people go through long lengths to get their receivers mated together tightly.

Big deal, you use a brass punch for the first couple of cleanings to get the pins out.

Are you sure your rear retainer detent and spring are situated correctly?

Anyways, the tighter that fit, the more accurate your rifle will be.

Eventually it will loosen up, until then enjoy the ride, you will not see any undue wear because of a tight upper/lower fit

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    if the upper holes are really too small, you can use a dremel with some buffing compound on a felt buffing attachment and polish the inside of the holes.

I would be leary of doing anything more aggressive than that because if you go through the anodizing, you really will have some undue wear from the softer aluminum being exposed.

I would just let it wear in

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    If you suspect the holes in the upper are too small. How do the pins fit when pushing them into the upper only while seperated from the lower?

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    If you suspect the holes in the upper are too small. How do the pins fit when pushing them into the upper only while seperated from the lower?
    Haven't tried that. I'll give it a shot when i have a few minutes to take them out of the lower.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    ...and it might be that the pin lugs may be a little out of spec length wise. Either too close together or too far apart. Does the upper have any play from side to side or front to back at all?
    Nope. Locks up rock solid, like I have to force the upper closed enough to get the pins in, and even then need a hammer to get them in

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Lol. I'll dump a bunch of rounds through it when it warms up and take it from there. My main concern is damage, but it sounds like it's not much to worry about

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    So after messing with it tonight, I think the lug in the upper does not exactly line up with the holes in the lower. Pin goes straight through without the upper, and goes through with the upper on, to the point that it contacts the lower on the other side. It's either loosened up a little already, or I've had too many bourbons tonight, because it seems easier to remove/insert than before. I'll give it some time and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom