• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've started collecting parts for my AR10 build. So far, I have the following:
    MATEN upper/lower set w/ Charging Handle
    LPK
    Armalite BCG

That should be everything to build the lower. The upper is where I am lost. I've never built an upper, have only bought complete uppers. I don't know what other parts I need to complete the build besides the following:
    Barrel(that is Armalite pattern)
    Rail
    AR10 Buffer Assembly

What else do I need to complete the build? Also, I have a couple of 20rd 308 PMAGS, but I've read a few places that say they don't work with the Armalite BCG. Anyone know whether it will or not?

Last edited:

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    You need a AR10 rail as the barrel nut is much larger. You will also need a buffer assy as they are also different.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a maten I built but didn't use a armalite bcg. Other than that difference it seems you've got it. I don't see how a bcg affects what mags work. the bolt that strips the round out is almost identical.

I think you will need a 308 specific buffer+spring. Can't remember what I had before but it didn't strip a round reliably out of the mag and get fully into battery. (I think they sent me the wrong spring.) Anyway, I ended up ordering a 10oz AR10R-XH rifle buffer and Armalite spring from:
    http://heavybuffers.com/products.html

Works great on the PMC ammo I've tested. I have a 308 PRS rifle stock so if you're using a carbine tube you'll need something different obviously.

Where are you? (hint put something in your profile.) I machined some plastic vice blocks to hold the maten upper for when I put the barrel in/handguard on.

Edit: Oh, and you need a gas block and gas tube for your barrel. Same parts as AR15s, just make sure the diameter matches the barrel you pick and the gas tube is the matching length (carbine, midlength, rifle)
    You will need a barrel nut wrench if you dont have one already. Some handguards use proprietary nuts so you'll have to buy their wrench if you pick one of those. My JP uses the std wrench I had.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    You will need a gas block, or Front sight Base, F marked is recommended, gas tube, proper length-rifle, Hand Guard, and depending on the hand guard you choose, some give you the barrel nut as it is proprietary, complete upper ( complete meaning, with ejection port door installed and the push button...mmm....forward assist!! I always forget the damn name, installed :-), rear sight, muzzle device-brake-compensator-flash hider w crush washer, and possibly a front sight, charging handle, BCG,

You will need a 308 buffer, tube, spring, castle nut and end plate-consider a quick detach end plate, now is the time to put it on, but there parts are really part of the lower receiver build. Grip, LPK, stock,

Did I miss anything out there?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just an FYI - the gas tubes for Armalite pattern barrels are about 1/4" longer than their ar15 cousins. Yes the ar15 tube may work but the ar10 gas tube is how they were designed to work.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    You will need a gas block, or Front sight Base, F marked is recommended, gas tube, proper length-rifle, Hand Guard, and depending on the hand guard you choose, some give you the barrel nut as it is proprietary, complete upper ( complete meaning, with ejection port door installed and the push button...mmm....forward assist!! I always forget the damn name, installed :-), rear sight, muzzle device-brake-compensator-flash hider w crush washer, and possibly a front sight, charging handle, BCG,

You will need a 308 buffer, tube, spring, castle nut and end plate-consider a quick detach end plate, now is the time to put it on, but there parts are really part of the lower receiver build. Grip, LPK, stock,

Did I miss anything out there?

The fixed FSB's can get tricky trying to mate them up with a rear sight that is the same height on the 308's. I would recommend a railed gas block and purchasing matched up front and rear sights to help do away with the height discrepancies.

YMMV

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    You might want to consider an adjustable gas block. Many people report ar308s being over gassed.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I am in the same boat as the OP.... have a matched BRO billet receiver set and a few misc. parts at this point.

I know it may seem pricey, but I am looking at a barrel set from JP rifles (22" SS barrel, which comes with matched/headspaced bolt), along with their comp put on barrel and indexed, plus gas block, gas tube, and their BCG... not the cheapest, but I have not heard anything bad about JP Rifles so far...

Will keep plugging along getting stuff together and hope to have the rifle completed by fall....

I will be watching this thread for more advice as well as my plans are not set in stone..

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I am in the same boat as the OP.... have a matched BRO billet receiver set and a few misc. parts at this point.

I know it may seem pricey, but I am looking at a barrel set from JP rifles (22" SS barrel, which comes with matched/headspaced bolt), along with their comp put on barrel and indexed, plus gas block, gas tube, and their BCG... not the cheapest, but I have not heard anything bad about JP Rifles so far...

Will keep plugging along getting stuff together and hope to have the rifle completed by fall....

I will be watching this thread for more advice as well as my plans are not set in stone..

Get your 15's squared away first. They are the ones that will be banned. You'll have more time with the 10's.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    How about these parts
    Rainier 18" barrel(Armalite pattern)
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3456 (yes, I know about the Rainier problems but my card company offers an alternate card number for online purchases)
    PRI Adjustable Gas Block
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...andard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte
    BCM AR-15 Mid length gas tube
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-mid-length-gas-tube-p/gas tube - mid length.htm
    DD AR10 Lite Rail w/ Armalite Barrel Nut
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1027

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    After googling, I'm getting different answers regarding whether I'll need an AR10 or AR15 gas tube. Would I be able to measure what I need after I receive the other parts? Or ask Rainier when I order and see what gas tube would match their barrel?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    After googling, I'm getting different answers regarding whether I'll need an AR10 or AR15 gas tube. Would I be able to measure what I need after I receive the other parts? Or ask Rainier when I order and see what gas tube would match their barrel?

Ask Rainier. It will depend on where the gas port was drilled on the barrel. The AR10 tubes also have a slightly larger dog leg to account for the larger offset of the gas key on the bigger BCG.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    How about these parts
    Rainier 18" barrel(Armalite pattern)
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3456 (yes, I know about the Rainier problems but my card company offers an alternate card number for online purchases)
    PRI Adjustable Gas Block
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...andard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte
    BCM AR-15 Mid length gas tube
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-mid-length-gas-tube-p/gas tube - mid length.htm
    DD AR10 Lite Rail w/ Armalite Barrel Nut
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1027

I just finished a Mega Build (DPMS type parts,haven't shot it yet) , but You will need to use a DPMS barrel nut even though you are using a Armalite barrel. If you are going for a railed handguard, you will need to get something compat. with the DPMS high upper reciever. For mine I went with the 7.62 CMR Centurion Rail and it fits very well. I was also looking at the Sampson rail as well.

Per the MA-Ten compatibility section of Mega Arms's webpage:
    Hand Guards

Any handguard with a barrel nut designed to fit the Knight SR25 or DPMS will fit the MATEN upper. The MATEN shares a common rail height with the SR25, DPMS High and the Armalite AR10. The necessary cuts have also been included on the upper to use a Samson handguard.

I hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom