• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    If you could only buy one rifle right now and you had a choice between and AR10 (.308) or a 300 Blackout.... Which would you choose and why?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Good question. I am actually looking for a 300 upper but the 308 AR rifles are nice. It's tough, but I would go with 300 due to the fact that swapping the upper can give you a whole new rifle. Won't work on a 308 AR unless you have the new colt. 901 I think? Having the 300 would also be useful for all the reloaders that have 5.56 they can use for the 300. At least after 5.56 is used, it can be converted and then used through essentially the same rifle. But this doesn't mean that I have anything against 308 AR type rifles other than the fact that I don't have the money for one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Blackout.

Reasoning behind my answer -

Lighter weight than AR10, but still has respectable range/power.
    Uses standard AR components - aside from barrel.
    I reload, so I have plenty of used 5.56 brass to convert to 300.
    Meets hunting requirements with sonic ammo, don't know about subsonics though.
    Pop 2 pins, can switch back to .223/5.56 if needed.
    Cost - much cheaper to buy/retrofit a upper for 300 duty, compared to buying/building a AR10, at least from the prices I've seen for AR10's.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Blackout.

Reasoning behind my answer -

Lighter weight than AR10, but still has respectable range/power.
    Uses standard AR components - aside from barrel.
    I reload, so I have plenty of used 5.56 brass to convert to 300.
    Meets hunting requirements with sonic ammo, don't know about subsonics though.
    Pop 2 pins, can switch back to .223/5.56 if needed.
    Cost - much cheaper to buy/retrofit a upper for 300 duty, compared to buying/building a AR10, at least from the prices I've seen for AR10's.

:thumbsup: A couple more good points I failed to mention.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The other thing with AR10's, not everyone's components seem to be compatible with other maker's parts. That is what I see as the biggest drawback currently.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Whats the purpose of the rifle?

I have both :)

this^

if you thinking of long range.. ar10

more power for shorter distance blackout. from what i've seen.. blackout doesnt have the accuracy yet.. but then again.. been wrong before.

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    Whats the purpose of the rifle?

I have both :)

Definitely hog hunting, but it would be great if that 300 has enough stopping power to knock down a deer or two at my uncle's farm in VA.

I have a bolt .308 so not buying an additional cartridge type is a bonus (and .308 rounds are not cheep), but I also love the interchangeability of the 300. I think I'm really leaning toward the 300.

I guess I was hoping someone could talk me out of it.

I really do wish I had the cash for both, but I've got to make a choice.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    .300 blk will kill hogs, just ask Dan. I'm using mine right now mainly for deer hunting. My .308 AR is getting a little heavy so I went with something lighter.

Honestly if hunting is what you are thinking you have a tough choice. IMO there isn't a wrong choice. .308 might have the upper hand because of power and distance, but that's it. If you are woods hunting .300blk is great. If its open range/swamp and you can get 200+ yard shots you may want to go .308. Will you be hunting in a climber, box stand, or the ground. My .308 is to heavy to hunt out of my climber that's another reason I picked up a .300blk. On the swamp I use .308 in the woods in .300blk.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Definitely hog hunting, but it would be great if that 300 has enough stopping power to knock down a deer or two at my uncle's farm in VA.

I have a bolt .308 so not buying an additional cartridge type is a bonus (and .308 rounds are not cheep), but I also love the interchangeability of the 300. I think I'm really leaning toward the 300.

I guess I was hoping someone could talk me out of it.

I really do wish I had the cash for both, but I've got to make a choice.

How far out would you need to be to knock down a deer?

My next build is a blackout. I'm get some parts together now but having trouble finding a good barrel.

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    How far out would you need to be to knock down a deer?

My next build is a blackout. I'm get some parts together now but having trouble finding a good barrel.

Usually 200 to 300yrds (MAX)... He gets mad at me cause I won't shoot at anything farther away. But living in the Peoples Repub of MD, its tough to get enough trigger time to be comfortable at any greater distance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that I haven't had a Whisper in the back of mind since JD Jones invented it , but the answer is none of the above.

6.5 Grendel AR-15 platform , decent power , long range capbility.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Usually 200 to 300yrds (MAX)... He gets mad at me cause I won't shoot at anything farther away. But living in the Peoples Repub of MD, its tough to get enough trigger time to be comfortable at any greater distance.

If its 200-300 I would say .308. Energy of the .300blk out that far really drops.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    AR 10. The only conflicting issue is magazines between Armalite and the SR 25 style. Armalite has remedied this by making a new model that will work with the SR 25 style magazine.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    The other thing with AR10's, not everyone's components seem to be compatible with other maker's parts. That is what I see as the biggest drawback currently.

+1 on this... I have a dpms lr 308 (in .308)and and armalite AR 10 and most stuff is not interchangeable all the way down to even the pmags.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    AR 10. The only conflicting issue is magazines between Armalite and the SR 25 style. Armalite has remedied this by making a new model that will work with the SR 25 style magazine.

Agreed! We were posting at the same time. I know some will say that the DPMS lr 308 is not truely an AR 10 anyway, but also be careful with matching some AR 10 stuff with the lr 308. Found out the hard way that dpms has 2 styles of upper receivers (high and low) that the rails don't match up to AR 10 4 rail configured free float systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom