• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Don't get hung up on chrome lining. Nitriding also makes for a very wear resistant and corrosion resistant surface, but has the added advantage of not really messing with dimensions at all. Chrome lining is additive and requires some specialization to put the lining uniformly along the entire bore and have it be to the correct thickness. Either is fine and will last longer than what you're likely to do with the gun(you're unlikely to shoot out either in the life of the gun with you). Stainless is similar to nitrided barrels in that you can pretty much just manufacture it to the dimensions you want and call it a day, but lacks some wear resistance over chrome and nitrided barrels.
    What you've said right there about nitrided barrels is something I've read before - it has close the same durability as chrome without some of the other headaches that chrome can bring if it isn't done properly.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I do plan on shooting it quite a bit especially this year. I have a few training/classes scheduled, those alone should put me over 2000 rounds, not counting range time. So I'd estimate 3-4k rounds/yr at the least. I am also doing some 2 gun practice.
    I think if you plan on running the gun hard for many rounds for a long time, having at least a spare barrel and the tools to replace it would be prudent. A whole upper ready to go even better.

On the subject of stainless..it gets hot quick and stays hot. Shooting three tables of using magnum strength ammo got my Redhawk barrel REAL hot. My favorite grill hood is made of stainless.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    On a related note, what is everyone's experience with Rosco Manufacturing Nitride-finished barrels? I just bought a DD M4V1 upper, and I need to swap barrels so that I can run it on one of my lowers in MD, so I need a 16" heavy barrel designed for a carbine length gas system. This is the specific model that I'm looking at:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom