• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Strictly mil-spec for my toys. I have seen too many more complicated, lightweight designs fail while at the range.

The only time I experienced an issue was in a 9mm build where the handle becoming wedged and bent up when I had an OOB discharge. Freed it up and straightened it out. Still in the gun and works as it should.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    If you only use your AR as a range toy, then mil-spec is fine. If you actually are serious about shooting and training, then you can do better than mil-spec. How many people like the mil-spec trigger or the mil spec barrel?

The ambi handle is very useful for left handed shooting. If you never see a role for shooting from the left side, then this speaks for itself. The Radian, BCM, and Geissele ambi handles are all great. The POF Tomahawk handle is a large ambi handle that is useful with a scope.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had an interesting conversation with my nephew last night on the subject of charging handles. My nephew is former special forces and a veteran of dozens of combat firefights, so I figured his opinion would have at least a little weight.

I asked him about upgrading charging handles from milspec. His response was "why?" He contended that the only time you really use the charging handle at all is to chamber the very first round. After that, it's all bolt release. Regarding the idea of large optics getting in the way, he conceded that an extension might come in handy but that otherwise there's nothing wrong with a quality milspec charging handle.

This is a guy who has fired literally over a million rounds, and much of those were fired in combat, so I take what he says on the subject pretty seriously.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you only use your AR as a range toy, then mil-spec is fine. If you actually are serious about shooting and training, then you can do better than mil-spec. How many people like the mil-spec trigger or the mil spec barrel?

The ambi handle is very useful for left handed shooting. If you never see a role for shooting from the left side, then this speaks for itself. The Radian, BCM, and Geissele ambi handles are all great. The POF Tomahawk handle is a large ambi handle that is useful with a scope.
    Guess those of us with military experience don't know as much as you. You may have focused too much on the word, "toys" in my prior post. Some of us refer to our firearms as toys, not because they are toys, but because we get enjoyment from them.

That said, most of those that build or own an AR want it to work if they really need it. Keeping things simple reduces the possibility of failure in a serious situation. Again, lightweight parts are prone to failure under adverse conditions.

"Mil-spec" is what has been proven to work, be reliable, and fill the necessary requirements for the military. Not much better claim to being proven under harsh conditions, IMO.

With my eyesight, I sometimes find it necessary to shoot left handed. Never have an issue using the controls on my rifles from either side,... because I have trained with them most of my life. Picked up my first M-16 almost 50 years ago which is why I have chosen to use the AR platform for more than one of my "toys".

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

I had an interesting conversation with my nephew last night on the subject of charging handles. My nephew is former special forces and a veteran of dozens of combat firefights, so I figured his opinion would have at least a little weight.

I asked him about upgrading charging handles from milspec. His response was "why?" He contended that the only time you really use the charging handle at all is to chamber the very first round. After that, it's all bolt release. Regarding the idea of large optics getting in the way, he conceded that an extension might come in handy but that otherwise there's nothing wrong with a quality milspec charging handle.

This is a guy who has fired literally over a million rounds, and much of those were fired in combat, so I take what he says on the subject pretty seriously.
    It’s just like K&N cold air intake kits. Nothing wrong with most OEM but people just get suckered into aftermarket.

I’ve never had issues with a milspec charging handle.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I find a stock “ mil spec “ charging handle to be a bit small to manipulate and it’s much worse with a scope. I have added an extension on most and have also been given and bought a couple ambi. Honestly to me the best fix is a side charger but I’ve come to far to convert them all. Anyone who hasn’t tried one don’t. It’ll only make you rethink all your ARs.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ambis or large latch CH do give a little more area to grab if you ever need to mortar your AR due to a failure, one failure I had I do not think I would have been able to get enough purchase on a mil-spec while mortaring the rife to get the bolt to let go of of the lugs. It took 4 good slams on the tail with as much weight I could concentrate on the charging handle to get it unstuck.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    BCM! I like to be able to open the bolt and charge the rifle with one hand. I've upgraded all my CHs. The mil spec ones work as Eugene intended but I like to dress up my stuff.

I also put fake air intake holes on the front quarter panels on all my cars, they just look cool.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not to disparage mil-spec but lets also put it into perspective. Things that are mil-spec are usually that because the contract winner was usually the cheapest, or one of the cheapest with the best overall design that checked the most boxes. Lookup forward assist with forgotten weapons.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Hard to argue with that.

Only charging handles to truly avoid are the ones made of 6061 aluminum. Stick to 7075 and you'll be good to go.

I've come to appreciate standard mil spec pistol grips as well. Why pay more when the stock grips just work?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hard to argue with that.

Only charging handles to truly avoid are the ones made of 6061 aluminum. Stick to 7075 and you'll be good to go.

I've come to appreciate standard mil spec pistol grips as well. Why pay more when the stock grips just work?
    His other contention was that for what they were doing, they wanted to mitigate things that could go wrong, and the basic Milspec charging handle does a good job of that - fewer moving parts, and basic mechanisms.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The new M5 is side charger with oversized latch rear charging handle as well. Not exactly an M4 it is more an M4/AR10 derivative.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So...I got suckered into picking up a couple of charging handles. I got a Radian Raptor blem and a PSA Ambidextrous - both roughly the same price. I'd been eyeballing both of them and was leaning towards the PSA due to the price difference, but snagging the Radian for that price seemed like a no-brainer. As for the blemishes, I'm not sure where - maybe someone got it, tried it and then sent it back, but it looked fine to me.

At a glance, fiddling with each of them for all of about 2 minutes, I think that the PSA might be a bit easier to use around a big optic because it sticks out just a touch more, but both seem solid enough and grippy enough. I think both are preferable to mil spec. Necessary? Nope. But I do like them and don't regret buying them.
    BA8396EB-B3B2-47FD-8889-2233BDA7F06F.jpeg

Feb 28, 2013
    Not to disparage mil-spec but lets also put it into perspective. Things that are mil-spec are usually that because the contract winner was usually the cheapest, or one of the cheapest with the best overall design that checked the most boxes. Lookup forward assist with forgotten weapons.
    I got a old SP1 that dont have a forward assist

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom