• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 17, 2008
    I have a few hundred rounds out of my AR15. Today at the range, it began failing to feed the next round. At one point the bolt carrier assembly was stuck. The front gas block was hot, but the gas tube on the bolt carrier assembly where the gas goes into was not. Could there be a block in the gas tube so there is not enough pressure to cycle? Whats the best way to take care of this?

Thanks!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have a few hundred rounds out of my AR15. Today at the range, it began failing to feed the next round. At one point the bolt carrier assembly was stuck. The front gas block was hot, but the gas tube on the bolt carrier assembly where the gas goes into was not. Could there be a block in the gas tube so there is not enough pressure to cycle? Whats the best way to take care of this?

Thanks!

Paging clandestine! Sounds like the gas tube is fouled...

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    spray something in the tube. if it comes out in the barrel, it isnt completely blocked. i use brake klean. keep it away from the stocks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Possibly mis-aligned gas-block?

Standard front sight base, or just a gas-block OP?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Who built it, what components?

Gas Key could be lose venting the Gasses, the Gas Tube could be fouled. This can happen with guns that people shot .22 LR conversion kits in them. The Lead shaves and clogs the Gas Block/FSB and the Gas Tube.

Its VERY unlikely that carbon blocked the Gas Tube inless this rig have 10K rounds through it.

If the Gas Block is a clamp on or set screw model if could have clocked and shut the Gas Port off. If this is the case, then this is just another example of why these things shouldnt be used. If its not a cross pinned Gas Block/FSB, its worthless.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Who built it, what components?

Gas Key could be lose venting the Gasses, the Gas Tube could be fouled. This can happen with guns that people shot .22 LR conversion kits in them. The Lead shaves and clogs the Gas Block/FSB and the Gas Tube.

Its VERY unlikely that carbon blocked the Gas Tube inless this rig have 10K rounds through it.

If the Gas Block is a clamp on or set screw model if could have clocked and shut the Gas Port off. If this is the case, then this is just another example of why these things shouldnt be used. If its not a cross pinned Gas Block/FSB, its worthless.

Is using the .22lr kit something to worry about? I use it for practice, but that concerns me for reliability issues...

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Is using the .22lr kit something to worry about? I use it for practice, but that concerns me for reliability issues...

The kit I use recommends you firing some .223 after using .22lr to help clear the gas tube.

Using copper plated bullets should help keep the lead shaving down some.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    FTF is a pretty broad category. Can you please explain in a little more depth? Will it eject the spent case and not pick up the next round? Will it lock back on an empty mag? What was the BCG stuck on? Etc.?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Thread title says Failed to cycle, but in the body of your post you say it failed to feed the next round. Also said the BCG was stuck.

I agree with Ab Normal, you will probably need to provide more info to help everyone diagnose.

Does it eject the spent round and fails to strip the next from the magazine?
    BCG stuck to the rear or stuck in battery? How "stuck"; to the extent requires some excessive force to move? What ammo using?

Nov 17, 2008
    I have only put decent brass through my rifle.
    I used different magazines same problem, BCG did not strip off the next round. Seemed like it did not cycle all the way back.
    It ejects the fired round and is back in firing position, trigger is set, but no round is fed.
    The best thing at this point since I am obviously need a lesson is to take it to the IP who put it together for me to figure out.

Thanks for all the suggestions- As an aside, the very questions and comments by posters, even if not solving my problem, enables me to learn more.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have only put decent brass through my rifle.
    I used different magazines same problem, BCG did not strip off the next round. Seemed like it did not cycle all the way back.
    It ejects the fired round and is back in firing position, trigger is set, but no round is fed.
    The best thing at this point since I am obviously need a lesson is to take it to the IP who put it together for me to figure out.

Thanks for all the suggestions- As an aside, the very questions and comments by posters, even if not solving my problem, enables me to learn more.

Hopefully the I.P.takes care of you, if they dont you can always have me look at it. I constantly fix Gunshow Builds, Big Name AR's, and ones put together by Forum Members that have issues.

Nov 17, 2008
    Hopefully the I.P.takes care of you, if they dont you can always have me look at it. I constantly fix Gunshow Builds, Big Name AR's, and ones put together by Forum Members that have issues.

I really appreciate the offer. The I.P. is a really good guy, but I will defintely shoot you a PM if I need more help.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Lord Chad,

what do you think of the .22lr kit issue?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lord Chad,

what do you think of the .22lr kit issue?

Using one? As long as you blow some 5.56 thorugh the gun after shooting with a .22 Kit you should be fine. Problem is if your shooting .22 its likely that your somewhere you cant shoot 5.56.

I have seen too many Gas Systems clogged up with Rimfire to ever use it on my centerfire AR's.

S&W M&P15 or a Dediated CMMG .22 Upper IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom