• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Pretty sure I know the answer...

If I have a lower receiver that was registered as "other", and a 16" upper was installed on it. Can that ever be (legally) switched to a pistol? Like back and fourth kind of thing?

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Pistol first and it can be anything anytime till the end of time.

Rifle first and it's rifle only forever.

That's my understanding.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pistol first and it can be anything anytime till the end of time.

Rifle first and it's rifle only forever.

That's my understanding.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Barrel length is not the determining factor, whether it has a buttstock on it first or a pistol buffer tube.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Pretty sure I know the answer...

If I have a lower receiver that was registered as "other", and a 16" upper was installed on it. Can that ever be (legally) switched to a pistol? Like back and fourth kind of thing?

I'm going to contradict what others have said. My understanding is that if the lower is registered as "other" it can be switched back and forth between pistol and rifle as you desire. If the lower is registered as a "rifle" it cannot be made into a "pistol" but a registered "pistol" can be made into a "rifle".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm going to contradict what others have said. My understanding is that if the lower is registered as "other" it can be switched back and forth between pistol and rifle as you desire. If the lower is registered as a "rifle" it cannot be made into a "pistol" but a registered "pistol" can be made into a "rifle".

Not exactly.

Federal law says if it is a rifle, to make it a pistol, requires a tax stamp.

You can make a rifle out of a pistol any time.

By a quirk of the law, if a pistol is made into a rifle, it can go back to being a pistol.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    All lowers should be marked as 'other' on the 4473. And as far as I know Maryland has no limit on pistol barrel length. So long as it never had a stock on it, it was not a rifle - is was also never a pistol w/o a pistol buffer tube.

Throw a pistol tube on it for one second. Tada it is a pistol. Now you can go back and forth

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    All lowers should be marked as 'other' on the 4473. And as far as I know Maryland has no limit on pistol barrel length. So long as it never had a stock on it, it was not a rifle - is was also never a pistol w/o a pistol buffer tube.

Throw a pistol tube on it for one second. Tada it is a pistol. Now you can go back and forth

It's butt simple. Like dtmyers said, throw a pistol(doesn't really need to be a pistol buffer, but...) buffer and snap a pic showing your serial # and you will be GTG.:thumbsup:

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So I just want to make sure I am reading this correctly .

Registered as "other" AND built as a pistol first, I can change back and fourth between rifle and pistol all I want.

Built as a rifle first, always a rifle unless I put in for the stamp.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So I just want to make sure I am reading this correctly .

Registered as "other" AND built as a pistol first, I can change back and fourth between rifle and pistol all I want.

Built as a rifle first, always a rifle unless I put in for the stamp.

Because..... pistols are more closely regulated than rifles.

Point of curiosity; Is there any limitation on how long a pistol barrel can be? Could I build a "pistol" with, say, a 22 inch barrel and a buttstock? If so, would the barrel need to be HBAR?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, a shoulder stock makes it a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16" it is a short barreled rifle, and not legal without a stamp.

You could build a pistol with a 22" barrel, but no shoulder stock.

IIRC, if the firearm is INTENDED to be fired by hand only, then it is a pistol.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Actually, a shoulder stock makes it a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16" it is a short barreled rifle, and not legal without a stamp.

You could build a pistol with a 22" barrel, but no shoulder stock.

IIRC, if the firearm is INTENDED to be fired by hand only, then it is a pistol.
    I think, technically, 'fired by one hand' makes it a pistol, thus the VFG on a pistol config over 26"oal, becomes then a 'firearm'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom