• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I have 9 30 round magazines made by Plinker Arms. The rounds do not want to stay in the magazines. Sooner or later most, if not all, will puke themselves out? Any ideas for a fix? I was hoping that perhaps I could buy some new magazine bodies, but it appears they do not exist. When I compare the magazine to a Pmag or Troy it appears to be too wide or spaced apart at the top. The ammunition does not sit flat when inserted but rather is at an angle with the point slightly up. Any ideas other than just throwing them away?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Trash them and get new ones that work. That recent Baltimore "buyback" would have been good to offload them. AR mags are cheap enough to be disposable right now without trying to replace just the bodies.

With the aluminum mags, there's a gauge that determines if the feed lip gap is within spec. If polymer feed lips go out of spec, they'll do the same thing. Another simple test is to load a partial mag and smack it base down against the carpet or your palm. The rounds should not jump out. Smacking them into a rifle shouldn't cause rounds to jump out either

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have 9 30 round magazines made by Plinker Arms. The rounds do not want to stay in the magazines. Sooner or later most, if not all, will puke themselves out? Any ideas for a fix? I was hoping that perhaps I could buy some new magazine bodies, but it appears they do not exist. When I compare the magazine to a Pmag or Troy it appears to be too wide or spaced apart at the top. The ammunition does not sit flat when inserted but rather is at an angle with the point slightly up. Any ideas other than just throwing them away?

It's likely a futile effort, but you can buy an AR magazine lip tool and magazine gauge from brownells. The tool will allow adjustment to the lips and the gauge will tell you how much and where to adjust. The tool and gauge are not cheap though. It would be about $80 shipped.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've done a ton of 2 & 3 gun matches with my stable of magpul pmags with not a single magazine problem. cheap enough at $10-15 each. never heard of plinker mags so no help there.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    If they are polymer you dont have much choice other than making them range mags. Just load them up right before you shoot. Usually with polymer, the magwell will keep the lips pinched enough to prevent spewing whike shooting.

As others said, you can get good mags so cheap right now that its not worth trying to fix them. You usually cant fox polymer anyway.

If you decide to trash them, take them apart to see if there are any parts you can reuse. They may use standard springs or followers that can be used as parts for other mags.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I was just getting ready to post this. I must have had the early ones. Had issues and went back to aluminum body mags

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Stored with the cap on? My magpuls would swell and wouldn’t go I. The gun after just a few months

Did you contact Magpul about it? Based on my experience with Magpul, they are top notch when it comes to taking care of ANY issues. As an example, I bought a stock that was missing the cheekpiece, from a member. I sent Magpul an E-mail asking if they had one and they sent a replacement to me absolutely free of charge! Pretty impressive since the stock has been out of production for about 2 years, they were told it was bought used and didn't have the piece at time of purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom