• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    My vote would be for an AR. As someone mentioned previously, it's much more modular and your buddy to turn it into whatever he wants later on if he gets bored with the current configuration.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    My vote would be for an AR. As someone mentioned previously, it's much more modular and your buddy to turn it into whatever he wants later on if he gets bored with the current configuration.

True. Hard to argue with the ability to change all the parts with minimal tools. Doesn't require an armorer or gunsmith to swap out barrels and such. These rifles (AR platform) definitely have their purpose.

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    I think it's worth mentioning that if one has an older Mini, they don't have a "BAD" Mini. If they have a problem with flyers after the barrel heats up, they can simply add a stabilizer for like 80-90 bucks and it will add the needed rigidity to keep groups tighter. The one in my picture on the earlier posts is made by Accustrut. There are other good companies that make these stabilizers. And the added bonus is that it makes your Mini look a little more like a M1A. I'll include a link in case someone wants to read about them. No affiliation, just trying to be helpful.

http://accu-strut.com/index.htm

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I think it's worth mentioning that if one has an older Mini, they don't have a "BAD" Mini. If they have a problem with flyers after the barrel heats up, they can simply add a stabilizer for like 80-90 bucks and it will add the needed rigidity to keep groups tighter. The one in my picture on the earlier posts is made by Accustrut. There are other good companies that make these stabilizers. And the added bonus is that it makes your Mini look a little more like a M1A. I'll include a link in case someone wants to read about them. No affiliation, just trying to be helpful.

http://accu-strut.com/index.htm

I like your Mini and the stabilizer does make it look very M1A like

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Isn't the mini a .223 rem only?
    I don't think the lack of a buffer tube is any advantage. I like wood stocks, but have not been impressed by the mini's wood grain. An AR seems more adaptable.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    AR-15 vs Mini-14, sounds like a good argument to engage in... initially. Both are fine guns and both, with work, are capable of significant accuracy. However, given the recent political attempts to ban firearms and the constantly shrinking opportunities to own really cool weapons, I would pass both of these up for something entirely different.

I would look towards getting a Polytech M14, while MSP is still ruling them as not being banned/regulated. Seriously, the M14 is NOT regulated per MSP's website. I would be all over this and the AR-10. Then I would purchase perhaps another firearm in .223. More than likely, I would go for the AR-15 first, as it's easier to build on, improve the accuracy of, and allows for multiple uppers with only one lower.

I have all of the above, and hands down, the AR-15 is the most flexible platform. There is no doubt that the mini-14 is a reliable (albeit less accurate) weapon, but a well tuned AR-15 goes bang every time.

Mark

PS - Now they are almost twins [Mini-14 (bottom) and M14 (top)]

Attachments

• M14 and Mini14.jpg
      M14 and Mini14.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 186

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    AR-15 vs Mini-14, sounds like a good argument to engage in... initially. Both are fine guns and both, with work, are capable of significant accuracy. However, given the recent political attempts to ban firearms and the constantly shrinking opportunities to own really cool weapons, I would pass both of these up for something entirely different.

I would look towards getting a Polytech M14, while MSP is still ruling them as not being banned/regulated. Seriously, the M14 is NOT regulated per MSP's website. I would be all over this and the AR-10. Then I would purchase perhaps another firearm in .223. More than likely, I would go for the AR-15 first, as it's easier to build on, improve the accuracy of, and allows for multiple uppers with only one lower.

I have all of the above, and hands down, the AR-15 is the most flexible platform. There is no doubt that the mini-14 is a reliable (albeit less accurate) weapon, but a well tuned AR-15 goes bang every time.

Mark

M14 is not banned or regulated in Md? Unless something amazing happened in the last ten minutes, I'm fairly certain you can't buy an M14 or any variant in this state. No M1A, no T44E4, no Chinese M14 etc.....

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    Holy crap. Just read the MSP list and it specifically states the Polytech M14 is GTG. I'm gonna have to confirm this...... Still in disbelief.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    M14 is not banned or regulated in Md? Unless something amazing happened in the last ten minutes, I'm fairly certain you can't buy an M14 or any variant in this state. No M1A, no T44E4, no Chinese M14 etc.....

The Polytech M14 is legal per MSP. Bolt and some other parts are not interchangeable with M1A.

Makes no sense but good for us.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Something happened a few months ago.
    MSP determined that the Polytech M14 is legal as it is not a clone of the M1A. The specified reason is that the rifle is metric and not parts compatible with M1A parts.

If you don't believe me, go here and select it from the list:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

buckshotu2

Sep 30, 2013
    In the M14 world. The Polys are considered a top tier forged receiver. And fine by me if they think the bolts aren't interchangeable. Tell that to a qualified M14 gunsmith he will have a good laugh.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Did you take the blue pill or the red pill.... Ya, it's like that. :lol2:

Don't question the logic, go get yourself a bad ass M14!!!!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Something happened a few months ago.
    MSP determined that the Polytech M14 is legal as it is not a clone of the M1A. The specified reason is that the rifle is metric and not parts compatible with M1A parts.

If you don't believe me, go here and select it from the list:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Actually, given the articulated policy, that is the legal and correct determination.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In the M14 world. The Polys are considered a top tier forged receiver. And fine by me if they think the bolts aren't interchangeable. Tell that to a qualified M14 gunsmith he will have a good laugh.

The bolts are not interchangabke without work. Doing the work would be the legal equivalent of taking an Post 10/2013 HBAR AR15 and making it a pencil contour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom