• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm getting close to admitting that my archery form sucks, and I want to get better at bowhunting.

Is there anyone in the state (preferably close to Southern Maryland, but that's negotiable) who you all would recommend for lessons?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My daughter wants archery lessons too. I am not very good with a bow either.

Any suggestions near the AGC range?

Tuscarora Archery in Frederick is moving forward with their Friday night introductory lessons for the next 3 weeks in January. $15 for a 7-9pm indoor session. They provide the equipment, but might be limiting the number that can sign up.

They have a solid juniors program whose archers have moved on to collegiate, national, and international competitions.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Bit of a drive, and his manners are a little rough, but Len at Macrotech in Pasadena I hear is good. Leave your ego at home, and his will role off your back. :)

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So i'll say it.

The best thing for my bowhunting archery form was a crossbow. When they make a bow I can stick a 3-7x Vortex on, I might pick it up again lmao. Right after I perfect my pistol and rifle form, sharpen all my knives, clean my house, do some painting, and take some kickboxing classes. oh and get back to the gym.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There is 3Js Archery and/or Zimmermans Archery in Mechanicsville will let you chuck a few arrows and give you pointers.

No idea of any costs involved.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Bit of a drive, and his manners are a little rough, but Len at Macrotech in Pasadena I hear is good. Leave your ego at home, and his will role off your back. :)

Ya , I was thinking Macrotech. Len is very good and he knows it . Arrogant . He is a good guy though.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    So i'll say it.

The best thing for my bowhunting archery form was a crossbow. When they make a bow I can stick a 3-7x Vortex on, I might pick it up again lmao. Right after I perfect my pistol and rifle form, sharpen all my knives, clean my house, do some painting, and take some kickboxing classes. oh and get back to the gym.

That's great, and I use a crossbow for whitetail, but I need to get better so that I can bowhunt elk out west. No crossbows allowed.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    So i'll say it.

I keep saying, if I ever get to the point where I need to switch from my compound to a cross(gun), I'll quit archery hunting.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I keep saying, if I ever get to the point where I need to switch from my compound to a cross(gun), I'll quit archery hunting.

9 out of 10 deer prefer bowhunters who need to be close and then miss. The 10th got gutshot and didn't finish the survey.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I'm getting close to admitting that my archery form sucks, and I want to get better at bowhunting.

Is there anyone in the state (preferably close to Southern Maryland, but that's negotiable) who you all would recommend for lessons?

Archery is 75% form and 25% mental.

How long have you been shooting? Archery is a lot like golf. You need to develop a repeatable swing in golf just as in archery, you need to develop a repeatable shot sequence. Form has a lot to do with this, obviously, but forms differ from hunting to competition.

First, is your bow's draw length properly set for you? An easy way to tell is, once you've reached full draw/anchor point, the elbow and forearm of your drawing arm should be perfectly parallel to the ground. Your elbow should not point upward nor downward when at full draw. The bow string should be either slightly touching your nose or close to it. If your bow doesn't fit you, you will never be able to achieve proper form.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Archery is 75% form and 25% mental.

How long have you been shooting? Archery is a lot like golf. You need to develop a repeatable swing in golf just as in archery, you need to develop a repeatable shot sequence. Form has a lot to do with this, obviously, but forms differ from hunting to competition.

First, is your bow's draw length properly set for you? An easy way to tell is, once you've reached full draw/anchor point, the elbow and forearm of your drawing arm should be perfectly parallel to the ground. Your elbow should not point upward nor downward when at full draw. The bow string should be either slightly touching your nose or close to it. If your bow doesn't fit you, you will never be able to achieve proper form.

These are exactly the types of things that I'm asking for an expert to help with.

I'm also super tall, so setup is going to be a challenge. Got fit by 3J's a few years ago at 31.5" draw. Since then I've just been guessing, flinging arrows in my backyard. If I've lucky, I can hold about a 4-5" group at 30 yards. I want to halve that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom