Are Ammo Prices Dropping...Or Is It Me Being Hopeful?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Almost through the ammo I bought to teach newbies to shoot. I have not personally shot for real practice in four or more months. Seriously. My wife took a new shooter out last week and I didn't go. She didn't even shoot much, to conserve the ammo we have. The newbie got all she could push, though.

Is it me, or are prices starting to reverse? I am seeing LuckyGunner with 9mm at .$75 a round, which is way too expensive still. But it was $.90 a month ago.

I bought a lot of ammo but burned through it teaching new people. Would love to replenish someday. Soon.

Thoughts? Is this going to continue to get better, or are we looking at a "new normal"?

EDIT: the newbie shooter from last week was terrified of guns before she shot. She only did it because she was going with my wife. The newbie literally shook while learning, but at the end of an afternoon she asked me (at the house, afterward), "So, what do I need to do to buy a handgun?"

Winning.

But we all need ammo!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think they are dropping. Still too expensive. 3 months ago .223 was about $1.00 a round. Now it is in the .70/round range.

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    Seems to be dropping. I've noticed that 9mm, 357 mag, and 223/556 have been much more prevalent recently. That should lead to prices coming down even more quickly.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Good news. I thought I overbought when the prices were "too high" at $.23 for 9mm. Boy...wish we had known.

Not sure we'll ever hit those number again.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    maybe a little but the demand is still there and it will continue to be there. everyone wants to be ready for the next time shit gets stirred up so were all in the habit of continually looking for ammo...

when you see it for a good price, it will sell fast i think is my point.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Anyone think about the possibility of a "bubble" for ammo and firearms?

I know a lot of people were buying everything in sight, but now that things are calming down i am starting to see a lot of private sale stuff in GB and other sites. Credit card bills are now due from the spending spree...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Definitely dropping. There's a shortage of 22lr, 9mm, and .223 still, but the other calibers are starting to become sane again.

I don't know if I'd call it a bubble. A bubble would imply we'd see prices 1) drop suddenly and 2) go below the pre-panic prices. I think it's best to just call it what it is: a sudden spike in demand emptying the channel.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Good news. I thought I overbought when the prices were "too high" at $.23 for 9mm. Boy...wish we had known.

Not sure we'll ever hit those number again.

I really hope we see those numbers again as soon as supply catches up. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Anyone think about the possibility of a "bubble" for ammo and firearms?

I know a lot of people were buying everything in sight, but now that things are calming down i am starting to see a lot of private sale stuff in GB and other sites. Credit card bills are now due from the spending spree...

Ammo backorders are slowly being reduced. But I emphasize slowly. I'm actually surprised we've seen as much ammo as we have out for sale lately. Ammo is going to be coming back into supply a lot slower than guns. People can buy $50 worth of ammo a lot faster than they can buy $900 firearms, and they do.

Realistically, it's going to be a good 12-18 months before you see a full recovery on ammo supply. Demand should equal out with supply and you should start seeing it get back to normal pre-2013 prices again eventually. That's barring anything unforeseen, like for instance Obama shutting the door on imported "non-sporting caliber" ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .223 is down to as low as 35 cents per round from $1 plus.

7.62x54R to around 20 cents per round. .308 to as low as 60 cents from a $1.

.22LR is still a bit high, mostly 16 cents or higher, but it comes up every so often at 5 cents a round or so, you just have to jump on it.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    .223 is down to as low as 35 cents per round from $1 plus.

7.62x54R to around 20 cents per round. .308 to as low as 60 cents from a $1.

.22LR is still a bit high, mostly 16 cents or higher, but it comes up every so often at 5 cents a round or so, you just have to jump on it.

Where are you finding these prices?

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I think they are dropping. Still too expensive. 3 months ago .223 was about $1.00 a round. Now it is in the .70/round range.

I just got some federal american eagle 55 gr for $0.50 per round to replenish what I shot this weekend.

Even that is still too expensive but I can handle that price to replenish what I shoot a little at a time.

Ken

arcticdc5

Mar 20, 2013
    Seeing lots of ammo not selling on gunbroker. Sellers have placed either too high of a reserve or starting bid.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Reputable places, like Midway and Cabela's and others, are still selling at the same prices, IF they can get the same ammo in stock. The low-priced stock sells out quickly though, and only the high-priced stuff remains. This can make it look like prices are artificially higher than they really are. But it's not. It's just that the high-priced stuff is all that's left.

Other places, I won't mention Fred's, will charge you an arm-and-leg no matter what ammo they have in stock.

Did I mention Fred's?

Boxherd

Feb 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Traveled around Lexington, VA last weekend. Stopped at several Super Walmarts and picked-up some WWW .45 and Federal 9mm.
    Prices within pre-shortage range.

Jmarko

Apr 8, 2013
    Cabelas does keep their ammo cheap, I bought some .40 from them last week for .40c a round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom