Are you looking to become a police officer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    One of my many jobs is to do recruiting and backgrounds for the City of Hyattsville, Maryland Police Department, well for another few months until I retire ~hopefully~.

We have five slots to fill and not a lot of qualified applicants. No experience is required, though it is a plus. (MPTC applicants start around $46,000 plus up to a $3,000.00 signing bonus.)

We have substantial part-time work and overtime assignments, shift differential, plus numerous specialty pay bonus programs for specific skills. You even get paid extra to live in the City if you want to.

You must be 21, have a H.S. Diploma or GED and a clean background. You must pass a written test, agility test, psych, physical, polygraph, background and some oral interviews.

$36,500 plus benefits while in the police academy.
    $42,000 upon MPTC certification after the academy.
    LEOPS Pension System, 25 years of service or age 50 at 50%, (given service years completed) plus up to 2.5% more for each of five additional years service if you wish for 60%
    Merit raises every year (given a good eval.) in a 19 step system.
    COLAs most years depending on budget.
    Health benefits follow you and family into retirement as same costs as active workers.
    Take-Home police cars within 25 air miles of City within Maryland
    All uniforms and equipment provided new-no "rag bag" items.
    Panasonic Toughbooks that you can use off duty, DVD, Internet, entertainment etc. unlocked.

Lots of assignments, Patrol, CID, SWAT, K-9, Federal Task Forces, Accreditation, Professional Standards, Community Action Team SROs, Bike Patrol, Segway Patrol, and much more.

We also have an opening for a Property-Evidence Technician, a great retirement gig for any of you retired cops out there, same benefits as the sworn position but a bit less money. Take-home if you are on-call.

If this sounds like something you might be interested it, then fill out the application from this link. (It is a PDF you can fill out and then mail or hand carry in.) (NO FAXED APPS PLEASE!)

http://www.hyattsville.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/219

You can email questions to:

policeapplicant at hyattsville dot org

Next written test is November 8th, 2012.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Anything that automatically DQ's you right off the bat ?

Here is our Statement of Employability text.

Mostly we follow MPTC standards, but are stricter than the minimun standards in some areas.

(Sorry, the formatting got askew when I pasted it.)

STATEMENT OF EMPLOYABILITY

I, ________________________________, (the applicant) by my signature, affixed to the bottom of this document, do certify that as of the date indicated below that I am able to meet the listed standards with regard to employability as a police officer with the City of Hyattsville Police Department, to wit, I certify that I,

1. Am at least 21 years of age.
    2. Am a citizen of the United States of America, and I speak, read and write in fluent English.
    3. Have graduated from high school, or have obtained a state-issued General Education Development (GED)
    certificate.
    4. Possess a valid driver’s license, and understand that I must possess a valid driver’s license for the state in which I currently reside, at the time of my employment.
    5. Have NEVER been convicted of a felony crime.
    6. Have NOT been arrested for or convicted of driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated or impaired within
    the past three years.
    7. Have NEVER been convicted of a misdemeanor involving “moral turpitude.”
    8. Have been honorably or generally discharged from the Armed Services of the United States of America. (Applicable only if applicant has ever served in the U.S. Military.)
    9. Have NOT had a lifetime total of fourteen (14) or more uses of marijuana.
    10. Have NOT used any controlled dangerous substance, including marijuana, within the past three (3) years.
    11. Have NEVER used PCP, LSD, heroin, or any other hallucinogenic drug, experimentally or otherwise.
    12. Have NEVER used cocaine.
    13. Have NEVER sold, offered for sale, assisted in the sale of, induced or attempted to induce another person in the use of illegal drugs.
    14. Have NOT been convicted of/found “at fault” in four (4) or more traffic violations, including motor vehicle accidents, in the past three (3) years.
    15. Do NOT have five (5) or more current points on my driving record. (As calculated in the Maryland MVA point system, regardless of the state of issue of an applicant’s driver’s license.)
    16. Have NEVER committed any undetected crimes.
    17. Have NEVER been convicted of any crime of domestic violence.
    18. NO open or unsatisfied civil judgments or lawsuits, NO open collection items on credit report.

All declarations provided above will be verified through polygraph examination(s), and comprehensive background checks. All applicants will have to attest to the facts above under oath in front of a Maryland Notary Public as part of their Personal History Statement, which will be issued at a later date. Any false statement made under oath in front of a Notary in Maryland is considered criminal perjury.

I understand that I will be removed from consideration for employment if I do not meet any one or more of the above standards above.

_____________________________________ _____________
    Applicant’s Signature Date

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Your Statement of Eligability looks like almost every other Department that I've seen. I'd say it's fair that if someone can't pass that criteria, they probably need to consider another line of work.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Looks like a great position. Hardest part of LEO is just getting in the door I find. I hope some folks take advantage of this posting.

Finding good applicants doesn't seem to be a unique problem.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Your Statement of Eligability looks like almost every other Department that I've seen. I'd say it's fair that if someone can't pass that criteria, they probably need to consider another line of work.

How does anyone answer this truthfully:

16. Have NEVER committed any undetected crimes.

Now days at least. I feel like you can commit crimes sitting still.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Usually when I see that written it's written as "have never knowingly committed any undetected crimes".

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    " Have you ever taken a pen from a place of employment? "

Usually when I've been asked these types of questions they have a threshold like that, "We're not talking about taking home office supplies". That's why it surprising to me that they ask this the way they do. It seems like you're either discouraging otherwise good candidates or asking them to ie.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Usually when I've been asked these types of questions they have a threshold like that, "We're not talking about taking home office supplies". That's why it surprising to me that they ask this the way they do. It seems like you're either discouraging otherwise good candidates or asking them to ie.

Agree. I had a poly that is probably on par with the police one, maybe a little more indepth, and they said they don't care about stuff like taking office supplies.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

Here is the straightforward answer to that one.

We don't care about speeding without getting a ticket, or if you may have driven drunk once in college, or if you downloaded from Napster or saw a pirated video once.

When we say undetected crime, we mean things for which you very likely would have been physically arrested if caught, especially felony crimes, any crime of violence or crimes of moral turpitude.

Here is a trade secret. For the most part we ask that question to see if applicants are honest about their past, as verified by a polygraph later on.

You have no idea how many applicants get rejected for telling a lie about some insignificant little transgression that would not have been a disqualifier. Its almost always experimental pot use or a DWI in another state by the way.

Of course, the lie is an instant DQ.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Here is a trade secret. For the most part we ask that question to see if applicants are honest about their past, as verified by a polygraph later on.

You have no idea how many applicants get rejected for telling a lie about some insignificant little transgression that would not have been a disqualifier. Its almost always experimental pot use or a DWI in another state by the way.

Got it. Only in my experience such questions are asked in-person. If they are on a form as part of the application process how many people who you say are qualified are going to go, "gee, I recorded major league baseball without written permission, I might as well not bother".

The same with the unsatisfied judgment one. When I was last vetted I was a part of at least 3 class action suits that I did nothing to become a part of.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Got it. Only in my experience such questions are asked in-person. If they are on a form as part of the application process how many people who you say are qualified are going to go, "gee, I recorded major league baseball without written permission, I might as well not bother".

The same with the unsatisfied judgment one. When I was last vetted I was a part of at least 3 class action suits that I did nothing to become a part of.

I don't know if I agree that those questions might drive qualified applicants away, but the fact of the matter is that those questions are written and approved way above my pay grade, so don't shoot the messenger. ;)

With regard to class action suits, the worst you should have is a lien, which is not viewed the same way as a judgment, which would not appear on your credit until the matter was adjudicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom