• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Police: Argument With Ride Share Driver Ends With One Dead In Dewey Beach Sunday​

Accident (~1:45am) didn't occur at Anchor Way. It was almost 3 miles south at Conquest.

Lyft driver stops in the southbound fast lane and kicks the passengers out (TBD what actually happened in the vehicle). A car coming from behind swerved to avoid hitting the stopped Lyft vehicle and hit one of the peds who was standing in the slow lane. He eventually died on scene due to his injuries.

The Lyft driver fled the scene. The driver who hit the ped stayed.

I left Dewey around 2:15am and ran into the road closure. The Fire Police at that time didn't know how long the shutdown would be. A little later they said another 2 hours. I had to drive around the bay to get home. It didn't clear until almost 6am this morning.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Going to be messy. Word vs word. Who's to say the passengers didn't tell the driver to stop?
    Does not matter if they did. Setting them out in the middle of a driving lane on a highway, is not defensible. Then, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident which your illegally stopped vehicle is a primary cause, is unconscionable. Lyft is likely going to be on the hook for this as well.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Driver identified.

Delaware State Police have identified the victim who died during a fatal pedestrian crash that occurred on July 24, 2022, in the Dewey Beach area as Sidney Wolf, 43, of Clarksburg, Maryland.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Does not matter if they did. Setting them out in the middle of a driving lane on a highway, is not defensible. Then, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident which your illegally stopped vehicle is a primary cause, is unconscionable. Lyft is likely going to be on the hook for this as well.
    Agreed, this was pure ignorant, and someone died a horrible death because of that ignorance. Leaving the scene just tells me this Lyft driver has no conscience.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There are still a lot of unknowns.

We have no idea what forced the driver to terminate the Lyft ride. For all we know they could have been assaulting the driver.

They could have also assaulted the driver after the man was stuck by the other car.

The Lyft driver may not even know the ped was struck.

We don't know if the Lyft driver contacted police afterwards. The news reports have been somewhat vague here.

I can see the driver being found not criminally liable. Civilly, he and Lyft, are in for a rough ride.

Just playing devils advocate above. If it were me I would have pulled over to the shoulder regardless of situation (unless there was a gun to my head).

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Going to be messy. Word vs word. Who's to say the passengers didn't tell the driver to stop?
    or they were belligerent and he made the stupid action to prove some sort of point to tell them to gtfo right there....

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There is a good chance that the Lyft driver has a dash/cab cam. I've been in many and can't recall seeing a car without one.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    or they were belligerent and he made the stupid action to prove some sort of point to tell them to gtfo right there....
    Or assaulting him/her. Who knows. It's going to be word vs word. Will be interesting to see if they tested the poor guy who hit the pedestrian for alcohol/drugs.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I think we are making plenty of assumptions here so I'll add what is likely to have happened...and what will happen.

-The passengers were likely hammered.
    -The passengers were likely threatening/assaulting the driver.
    -The driver is probably dumb.
    -The driver probably panicked and left the scene.
    -The driver is screwed.
    -The toxicology report for the person that was struck will show how hammered he was.
    -The other passengers are going to say how wonderful the victim was and he was a good family man.
    -Lyft is going to pay a significant sum of money.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Or assaulting him/her. Who knows. It's going to be word vs word. Will be interesting to see if they tested the poor guy who hit the pedestrian for alcohol/drugs.
    i did not even think if the driver who hit the pedestrian.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Ped worked for Gov Cuomo at some point and Montgomery County Councilmember Sidney Katz (D-District 3) recent Primary.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are still a lot of unknowns.

We have no idea what forced the driver to terminate the Lyft ride. For all we know they could have been assaulting the driver.

They could have also assaulted the driver after the man was stuck by the other car.

The Lyft driver may not even know the ped was struck.

We don't know if the Lyft driver contacted police afterwards. The news reports have been somewhat vague here.

I can see the driver being found not criminally liable. Civilly, he and Lyft, are in for a rough ride.

Just playing devils advocate above. If it were me I would have pulled over to the shoulder regardless of situation (unless there was a gun to my head).

Last 2 Lyfts I took in Nashville, they had cameras.
    this guy may be rethinking if he had cameras.

Aren't Lyft drivers independent contractors and not employees?

IMO, Unless Lyft has a policy that tells the driver to do something stupid like this, Lyft should not pay a dime. If the driver did something wrong and is legally liable, then its on him

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom