• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Silly question from someone that has never shot black powder before; in a revolver, What keeps the powder from running out the nipple? The videos I've seen installed the cap last, which seems the safe thing to do.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I've recently seen another manufacturer at bass pro: Traditions. Never heard of them so I'll assume the recommendation is still Unberti. True?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Silly question from someone that has never shot black powder before; in a revolver, What keeps the powder from running out the nipple? The videos I've seen installed the cap last, which seems the safe thing to do.
    Size of hole in bottom I nipple which is like size of pin tip and the powder grains are pretty much larger

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Right up front I'll tell you that I have NO experience with Uberti.
    However, I do have 3 Pietta's and for the price, I'm happy. Especially the SS models.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    True UNTIL it's loaded WITH A CAP on it, at that time it is considered a firearm...... for transporting purposes.

I hear people state this all the time but where is this stated? Federal? Link to the statement?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Right up front I'll tell you that I have experience with Uberti.
    However, I do have 3 Pietta's and for the price, I'm happy. Especially the SS models.

To me it comes down to $$$s. The Ubertis I have seen are better, and the Taylor rebranded guns even better. The Pietta's are quality enough in most cases and functional.

Question is what you want. Given the rate of corrosion in blackpowder arms I sort of lean towards cheaper.

BTW the Pietta I ordered above is now up to $299. Ill be curious if Cabelas honors my backorder at $229.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I hear people state this all the time but where is this stated? Federal? Link to the statement?

As far as hunting is concerned, a muzzleloader is technically unloaded if there is no primer, percussion cap, or priming powder in/on the gun, even if there is a main charge and projectile in the barrel.

Page 17 Muzzleloader Regulations
    http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/14MDHD_LR.pdf

However, I'm fairly certain that does not mean you can carry one. Even if they are not legally handguns, they are still considered "dangerous weapons" or whatever that category is by MD law.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    True UNTIL it's loaded WITH A CAP on it, at that time it is considered a firearm...... for transporting purposes.

From the COMAR:

§ 5-101

(h) Firearm.-
    (1) "Firearm" means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.
    (2) "Firearm" includes a starter gun.

Off hand I would summize that as a BP revolver is "designed" to expel a projectile it does constitute a firearm. IANAL, so don't take this as gospel!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    How many time can I reload a 6 chamber revolver at the range before I need to clean it, assuming I use the appropriate modern black powder substitute in the appropriate charge?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How many time can I reload a 6 chamber revolver at the range before I need to clean it, assuming I use the appropriate modern black powder substitute in the appropriate charge?

It depends on what revolver it is and how you're loading it. Colts tend to handle fouling better than Remingtons due to the open top and much larger cylinder arbor which has grease grooves. The size of the cylinder to forcing cone gap also matters. Smaller gaps will tolerate less fouling. If you're putting grease over the slug in the chambers, that will help soften the fouling. Without grease, my Colt Navy can get about three cylinders with blackpowder before the cylinder gets hard to turn or the slugs get hard to seat. If I wipe down the face of the cylinder with grease or water, then it keeps going. If I put grease over the slug, then it can keep going almost indefinitely. I do have to throw some more grease onto the hammer though so it doesn't get stuck with fouling.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    Uberti is the way to go.

Better quality.

They make a great '58.

Yes they do...though it seems like the front post on mine is about a mile high.

So...here comes the shoot - file - shoot - file - shoot - file approach to bringing the gun in line.

Other than that it's very reliable. Both of my BP revolvers are Uberti.

D.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    My recommendation is get a pitta as your first. Learn if you really love and appreciate bp and upgrade in the future.

No piettas and Umbertis are not on the same quality level, but piettas are far from junk. They are real nice guns that are a ton of fun to shoot. Buy one for $200-300 and you'll never have any regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sneaky cabelas tried to cancel my backorder. for $229 with extra cylinder and engraved I am not letting them off the hook!

houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    The quality of my Pietta 1858 Remington is top notch. I have owned it for 10 years and it has proven to be a durable, accurate, and fun to shoot revolver. BP shooting is a PITA to many, but I started at a young age with a long gun, and the rituals involved have always been really enjoyable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom