• Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So how much money was wasted to "just keep what we got"?

If this was a special allotment then the money should be paid back out of their general fund of sorts.

If it wasn't broke why did they go out looking to fix it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    In a lot of ways a compact select fire platform is a compact select fire platform. Are there newer cooler platforms? Sure. Will they do anything the M4 et al will not do? Not really. I am a huge fan of folding stocks but other than that it would be a huge expense for no real gain.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So how much money was wasted to "just keep what we got"?

If this was a special allotment then the money should be paid back out of their general fund of sorts.

If it wasn't broke why did they go out looking to fix it.

At least they didn't go into the next stage of tests. Also, don't count out that the "sequester" had something to do with terminating the program, and the fact that RINO'S Chuck Hagel is now SECDEF.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    My understanding was that the new guns were only marginally better so why spend a billion for that. They are looking for something that will be much better.

Vic

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Army has been holding these competitions for years looking for the Advanced Combat Rifle. Most of the advancements have come in the optics.

It is far easier and more cost effective to improve upon the existing platform.

I can't wait to see the plasma ray guns that willl get issued next, because there are no ammunition worries.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    more like the "Commander in Chief" is spending all our money on himself so we can not afford things for the the troops or defense of the common people.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Why drop the 3 round burst off the M-4. I do not see how dropping the 3 rd burst will make shooting it more accurate, semi=accurate, 3 rd burst = slightly accurate, FA = Maybe accurate.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I agree with the US ARMY on this one. Nothing New really offers significant advantage over the m16/m4 platform.

SCAR
    HK416
    Tavor
    ARX
    Etc.

Nothing really significant or reliability by decreased accuracy...may as well go with the time and battle proven AK.

Like Inigoes has stated, advancements are in optics . I like the new IARs that the Marines are using. Increased accuracy but decrease in firepower( replacing the m249 ). ACOGs and CCO have really taken the 16 into a superior level.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Wow, the M4 actually works and works well? Gee who knew? Oh that's right, those of us that own AR type rifles know they work just fine. So the government spent how much money to find out that what we have already have works well?

Without a breakthrough in ammunition or optics, these days a rifle is a rifle. There are many choices and most of them work just fine.

The fact is we live in a pretty boring era for small arms design pending a major technological development. This comes from a guy that is a huge honk for the M14 rifle. It is still a great gun, but in a limited role and not for general issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom