Arrest for assisted open knife in OC this weekend...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I love this comment.

"Retired5Oh Troll Hunter • 6 hours ago
    You just proved my point. He's a resident of another state who brought a gun across state lines, which is actually a federal crime. His bail should have been 10 times that amount."

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Jeeze, I'm glad I checked this thread out. I was in OC this past weekend and carried my folding pen knife most of the time. I crab a lot down there and a knife always comes in handy and is easy to forget. Sounds like I can't even carry that anymore down there. Amazing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Jeeze, I'm glad I checked this thread out. I was in OC this past weekend and carried my folding pen knife most of the time. I crab a lot down there and a knife always comes in handy and is easy to forget. Sounds like I can't even carry that anymore down there. Amazing.

I believe it only includes assisted knives.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I believe it only includes assisted knives.

The knife I have is really a hunting knife. It's the kind where the blade has a little nub on it that you flick with your thumb and the spring sort of assists it the rest of the way. From my reading of this statue, it seems like this is now illegal. Can anyone confirm?

Looks like this:

zt-0300st.jpg

The Definitions ordinance (Sec. 58-121) defines an "assisted opening knife" as a knife which uses an "internal mechanism, such as a spring, tension spring or mechanical device to fully open the blade once the user has depressed the flipper or thumb stud attached to the blade." That bit of ingenious legislative drafting is not quite right in terms of actual operation, but it is unlikely that any judge in the jurisdiction will care.

The Prohibited Acts ordinance (Sec. 58-123) now reads, "It shall be unlawful for any person to display, possess, sell, barter, offer to sell, distribute, manufacture, give away, transfer or dispose of an assisted opening knife, nunchaku, a fighting knife, a throwing star, a spiked wristband, a spiked fistband, a spiked glove, a flail mace, a butterfly knife, a spiked belt, a spike ring, metal knuckles, baton, fighting ax, fighting sword, pistol crossbow, or any part thereof, assembled or unassembled. As used herein, "person" includes individual, partnership, corporation or any other entity. The prohibitions relative to assisted opening knife and baton do not apply to officers of the Ocean City Police Department, The Maryland State Police, the Natural Resources Police, the Worcester County Sheriff's Department and any allied police department providing assistance in Ocean City. The prohibition relative to assisted opening knife does not apply to members of the Ocean City Fire Department and EMS, while on duty."

It is a misdemeanor subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment of up to six months or both.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Kershaw Skylines kick ass.
    No spring, but can be deployed nearly just as fast.

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    i've moved on to exclusively wave'd knives after Good 'Ol Gray ruined the assisted opening thing for us...they're faster anyway.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Apparently all batons are banned in OC also. And all "fighting swords" and "fighting knives" are as well, whatever the hell those terms mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom