• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I am looking at the Carbon Express Mutiny(350). I've read mixed reviews, but for the most part a pretty good arrow for the price point. I am thinking of getting 6 of these, and it they shoot well, meaning I shoot them well, I may pick up 6 more. I'm interested in what other folks shoot and would recommend.

Not looking for "the absolute best arrow out there", just something dependable fo hunting and using for practice.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I shoot Gold Tip XT Hunters and really like them. They are durable and consistent.

I have not tried other carbon arrows, so take that for what it is worth.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I have heard very good things about the Gold tips. Also heard good things about the Axis'. I plan on using 100 gr broadheads come hunting season. Maybe Muzzy MX-3, or G5 Outdoor strikers.

Has anyone used the G5 Outdoors Montec CS? They have a practice arrow? They have a practice fixed blade arrow called the G5 Outdoors Pre-Season Montec Practice Point that looks just loke the real broadhead, except it is a practice tip. Here is how they describe it online;

"Get the best practice possible for hunting with Montec broadheads. Dimensionally identical to the Montec broadhead, achieving the same consistencies of flight and accuracy - making this the perfect preseason tuneup arrow point. Its "field point" is actually a rounded-edge 3-blade broadhead, which keeps target wear to a minimum. Cutting diameter: 1-1/8"."

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I like Gold tip arrows. I just hope the quality stays the same now that they have beem bought out by Bushnell.
    I shoot Gold Tip Kinetic XT's. Heavy arrow, comes in around 476 gr.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I shoot the Maxima. I really like them. I'm down to about 9 arrows out of the original dozen because they were broke off by deer. But as long as you find an arrow that you like and that you can use to get your bow properly tuned is all that matters. I would definately recommend paper tuning your bow and arrow combination once you decide on one.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    GT,Easton,carbon express,victory,beaman all make good arrows. I am switching over to the deep six axis this year to,try out.

The axis infused were bad ass. The full metal jackets hot like a hammer too.

I'm shooting victory shafts now but they are a little light with an 85 grain head. Had 2 quartering shots this year that didn't pass all the way through at 20. I don't like that.

Montecs are good heads, you need a honing stone to sharpen them though.

Thunderheads
    Muzzy
    Slick trick
    Magnus
    Wasp
    Are a few good heads to add to your research, IDE stay away from the mechanicals for now.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I mainly shoot gold tips on most of my set up's although I do shoot carbon express on another. You can't go wrong either way, try to look for something with weight FOC.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    G5 Montec

I have heard very good things about the Gold tips. Also heard good things about the Axis'. I plan on using 100 gr broadheads come hunting season. Maybe Muzzy MX-3, or G5 Outdoor strikers.

Has anyone used the G5 Outdoors Montec CS? They have a practice arrow? They have a practice fixed blade arrow called the G5 Outdoors Pre-Season Montec Practice Point that looks just loke the real broadhead, except it is a practice tip. Here is how they describe it online;

"Get the best practice possible for hunting with Montec broadheads. Dimensionally identical to the Montec broadhead, achieving the same consistencies of flight and accuracy - making this the perfect preseason tuneup arrow point. Its "field point" is actually a rounded-edge 3-blade broadhead, which keeps target wear to a minimum. Cutting diameter: 1-1/8"."

I've shot the G5 Montecs for years, no complaints with the newer ones. The earlier versions "whistled" in flight. Good cut on contact heads, and they re-sharpen easily w/ a flat stone. If you miss or pass thru and ding a rock they're pretty much toast though.

You can't go wrong w/ the Muzzy's and they are priced somewhat better.

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    I shoot Redhead Carbon Supreme Lite 350s. They're made by Carbon Express for BP and are cheaper than CE, though still a very durable arrow.
    I found my last dozen on eBay for $38.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions/recommendations guys.

That poses another question though. If you should shoot the arrow to see if it works well with you/your bow, how do you accomplish this? Buying one or two of a bunch of brands or buy half a dozen of two or three brands you "think" will work? I imagine either way can get rather pricey.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    im still shooting carbon express cx 300. I don't think they make them anymore but i hear the maxima hunter 350 is the replacement.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    get a dozen and have your bowtech help you paper tune it. quality control and straightness on these arrows today really dont leave much room for bad arrows. you will run into them from time to time but odds are very slim. you may have one in your dozen that wont shoot with the rest of them. you will know when you find it if you have one, it wont shoot a field tip with the rest! fixed blade broadheads will show you your bad apples super quik. 99% of the time its a bow tuning or tip tuning issue,not the arrow.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Arrows will have a spine rating. Arrows need to be the proper lenght and spine (GPI)
    to match your bow poundage. Goldtip has an online chart to help pick arrows.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    get a dozen and have your bowtech help you paper tune it. quality control and straightness on these arrows today really dont leave much room for bad arrows. you will run into them from time to time but odds are very slim. you may have one in your dozen that wont shoot with the rest of them. you will know when you find it if you have one, it wont shoot a field tip with the rest! fixed blade broadheads will show you your bad apples super quik. 99% of the time its a bow tuning or tip tuning issue,not the arrow.

Thanks, now I won't spaz out when one of the arrows decides to do it's own thing when I shoot it.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Arrows will have a spine rating. Arrows need to be the proper lenght and spine (GPI)
    to match your bow poundage. Goldtip has an online chart to help pick arrows.
    Totally understand what you are saying. I was referring more to one specific brand over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom