• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Anyone seen these things around? They look, to me, like Asian Hornets but I don't know for sure. They are about the size of a man's thumb. That stinger is HUGE IRL.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I am a back yard farmer and for the first in my life I have seem fewer pollinators this year. Usually, this time of the year I have those European hornet and black hornets all over my apples but not this year. I haven't seen honeybees and no yellow jackets. I throw my cantaloupe rinds back in the garden and not one yellow jacket can be seen. I always have to spray under my deck for paper wasps but not this year. What is going on?????????????

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I am a back yard farmer and for the first in my life I have seem fewer pollinators this year. Usually, this time of the year I have those European hornet and black hornets all over my apples but not this year. I haven't seen honeybees and no yellow jackets. I throw my cantaloupe rinds back in the garden and not one yellow jacket can be seen. I always have to spray under my deck for paper wasps but not this year. What is going on?????????????

All sorts of bees and wasps are dying off. Apparently a new wave of pesticides in use over the past 10-15 years is killing them stone dead. Time Magazine had a big article about it.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2149141,00.html

good question. I've noticed that its a rarity to see a honeybee these days.... When I was a kid they were all over the place!

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    All sorts of bees and wasps are dying off. Apparently a new wave of pesticides in use over the past 10-15 years is killing them stone dead. Time Magazine had a big article about it.

I sure hope people start paying attention to this stuff...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I am a back yard farmer and for the first in my life I have seem fewer pollinators this year.

I noticed a fall off about two years back when some of my plants stopped bearing fruit. This year, there are zero yellow jackets, zero paper wasps, and almost no bumblebees.

I haven't seen regular bees in almost three years now.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I believe a few years ago I read something about bringing in some Asian Wasp to go after the stink bugs since the wasp likes to lay their eggs on the stink bug larvae? The Asian Wasp are the only known killers for stink bugs in Asia.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I believe a few years ago I read something about bringing in some Asian Wasp to go after the stink bugs since the wasp likes to lay their eggs on the stink bug larvae? The Asian Wasp are the only known killers for stink bugs in Asia.

I read the same thing and that was why I thought the bug in my pic was an Asian Hornet. I no longer think that thanks to steely eyed missile Aquaman.

I smacked one with a shovel at full swing and the thing just got mad. I was all like damnnnnnn.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Unfortunately nobody is paying attention. Have no fear, one of the thousands of things humans are doing will eventually kill th planet! :envy:

Not the planet just ourselves and a few unlucky species the earth will survive and life will thrive when we're gone

Feb 28, 2013
    Anyone seen these things around? They look, to me, like Asian Hornets but I don't know for sure. They are about the size of a man's thumb. That stinger is HUGE IRL.

You're thinking of the giant hornets of the orient. I have nightmares about these damn things. In my dreams they're about 6' long. :ohnoes::shocked:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, we have plenty of them around here. Last year, I made the mistake of messing around in an azalea bush and disturbing a hive of bald faced hornets. Ended up getting stung 3 times and one was still stuck to my ankle biting me after I was indoors. When I heard the rumble of the hive, I knew what was up without even seeing it. I took off running faster than I have ever run in my life, but they still got me. Think that was the worst I have ever been stung. It was a terrible Friday the 13th last July. Bad 12th of July too. Silver lining is that none of the kids stumbled upon it before me.

This year, I have been knocking down startup hive after startup hive of some paper wasps and actually found one in a set of plastic vehicle ramps. They had done a pretty decent job on that one before I found it. Got out the torch and got about 8 of them and burned up the hive. My wife just saw another startup hive that a couple bees/wasps/hornets are starting on the other side of the house. Will look into that this weekend.

Attachments

• Hearth1.jpg
      Hearth1.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 227

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads