• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    I don't agree that those cicada killers are "harmless" I have a box garden they tunneled under and coincidentally everything but my peppers have died since I discovered they were digging.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I believe a few years ago I read something about bringing in some Asian Wasp to go after the stink bugs since the wasp likes to lay their eggs on the stink bug larvae? The Asian Wasp are the only known killers for stink bugs in Asia.

These wasps lay their eggs in Asian stink bug eggs. They do not eat the stink bug, have no stinger and are less than a 1/4 inch long.

That said, I have seen fewer pollinators this year but a lot more butterflies (swallow tails, mostly, not a single Monarch.)

I know these things go in cycles, but as a kid, my dad and I collected wild swarms. Ihave not seen a wild hive in 20 years.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    These wasps lay their eggs in Asian stink bug eggs. They do not eat the stink bug, have no stinger and are less than a 1/4 inch long.

That said, I have seen fewer pollinators this year but a lot more butterflies (swallow tails, mostly, not a single Monarch.)

I know these things go in cycles, but as a kid, my dad and I collected wild swarms. Ihave not seen a wild hive in 20 years.

My wife and I started looking at houses almost 6 years ago. We looked at them for almost 3 years. Looked at many foreclosures during that time period. About 4 or so years ago, we looked at a foreclosure with the biggest bee hive I have ever seen hanging from the exterior soffet. If we bought that house, I was going to use a flame thrower for it followed by a fire extinguisher.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Didn't catch him in flight but they're still creepy when they've got dinner and try to squeeze it into their hole.

This thing came home with a GIANT cicada and couldn't figure out how to get it inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0163[1].jpg
      IMG_0163[1].jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 86
    • IMG_0165[1].jpg
      IMG_0165[1].jpg
      110.7 KB · Views: 87

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well, we have plenty of them around here. Last year, I made the mistake of messing around in an azalea bush and disturbing a hive of bald faced hornets. Ended up getting stung 3 times and one was still stuck to my ankle biting me after I was indoors. When I heard the rumble of the hive, I knew what was up without even seeing it. I took off running faster than I have ever run in my life, but they still got me. Think that was the worst I have ever been stung. It was a terrible Friday the 13th last July. Bad 12th of July too. Silver lining is that none of the kids stumbled upon it before me.

This year, I have been knocking down startup hive after startup hive of some paper wasps and actually found one in a set of plastic vehicle ramps. They had done a pretty decent job on that one before I found it. Got out the torch and got about 8 of them and burned up the hive. My wife just saw another startup hive that a couple bees/wasps/hornets are starting on the other side of the house. Will look into that this weekend.

I don't mind these...I hate yellow jackets...a good killer is 1/2 dawn dishsoap in a gallon of water then put it in a weed sprayer...

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    If that the beast above pic, I killed one of those. I was walking my dog, and I saw one on the grass by the sidewalk, on his hive. I also saw one of those at my gun club I belong too. I hate wasp or yellowjackets, because my mom loves to garden and she is allergic. found out five or six years ago, since then, i been the bee controller for my parents house. I take hot steam pot full of boiling water, and pan in down the wasp nest during the dusk time. I rock them everytime. Its well over five gallons of boiling water down the nest....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom