• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    I want to start saving for an assault rifle. i really like the AR 15's but they are out of my range. Any suggestions on a good assault rifle?

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Holy crap, someone sells rifles that can perform an assault all by itself?!? That'd be hella sweet, let me know when you find one that does that without human intervention!

sigrug17

Jun 22, 2009
    Gaithersburg
    Oh, I guess its going by the drive by media definition of "Assult-Rifles" Oh well, but some reasonable priced semi-auto rifles... Kel-tec SU-16C but good luck finding it... or maybe a Nice.. Ruger Mini-14.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Save your money for a good AR.
    You will not be sorry.
    You can build a lower up and then purchase a complete upper at a show or online.
    Invest in quality because you really do get what you pay for.

Good luck.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Assault rifle = full auto or select fire military rifle like an M16 costing maybe ten or twenty thousand dollars and a federal tax stamp

AR15 = rifle

Necessary Evil

Sep 21, 2009
    Baltimore County
    How about a Saiga? Available in lots of flavors - .223. 7.62 x39 , 5.45 x 39, .410, 20 and 12 gauge . Check out Russian American Arms web site. Prices are pretty good right now.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    A good all around rifle would be Mini-14. The Mags are a little expensive, but if you get one with a wood stock and do have to defend you and your family, the wooden stock will help you with the jury. hehe

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are out of my price range too, however if I had the loot I would say M16 registered lower, about $10,000, but you can put any upper you want on it, and most any stock set.

Of course if you mean a semi auto rifle, there are many to be had, AR-15s can be had for as little as $700 new, and a little less used. You might find some romanian AKs in in the $400 range, a Yugo SKS or even a Ruger 10/22 for good cheap fun. At one time or another they were all considered "assault rifles" in a bill or law, so the term paints with a pretty broad brush. What are you looking to do with it?

zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    LOL!!! That's why they make credit cards :D

You can get a good AR now @ $600 + shipping and Tranfer

i thought they were in the thousands like 1000 and up lol. im still a little new to guns. iv been shooting and hunting since i was a kid but iv taken up an active interest in the last couple months. so i dont know much yet. once you get into it though your hooked :D

home defense. and i love to shoot.

You might wanna re-think the "home defense" idea with an AR, at least if you value your hearing. No WAY would I want to fire one of those in a hallway or closed room without ear protection - something I can gaurantee you won't be wearing at 3am when you hear a noise downstairs.

They're fun to shoot, but not inside!!!

Think shotgun or pistol.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You can find a good semi - auto rifle (AR)for about $600. But if you want a home defense gun go with a shot gun or a semi-auto pistol. These can be had for under $300.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    buget for you, I have a DPMS AR15 lower with a Tony's custom upper that I got for around $950. You should be able to get a full DPMS for around $750-950, just do not get a sportical model, they suck and look stupid.
    If you want to spend more, go Colt, Ruger, Sig

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom