• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    After some research it's still a bit confusing.
    I am considering doing a Form 1 for an AOW on an AR pistol. Barrel is 8", OAL is 22.5". No brace or stock, just the buffer tube with foam cover. But would maybe like to have a VFG.
    1) Is ATF approving such AOW's for Maryland residents? Always a bit murky in this state.
    2) If I did it this way, does the VFG have to stay on it at all times? If I removed it, then what?
    3) If I didn't do a VFG or Form 1 and just put a small handstop or angled fore grip on it, it's completely still legal as a handgun in Maryland, no AOW/Form 1, correct?
    4) If it does get a Form 1, can I rotate between buffer tube and a brace and still be a AOW since it's under 26" OAL?

Thanks all

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    ATF AOW definition only applies to smooth bore

The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    Yeah the loopholes are tightening up. The only way I see to get around it is registering as PMF which means you need to own a 80% lower and complete it.

My understanding is the brace SBR débâcle doesn’t apply to Privately made firearms.

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    ATF AOW definition only applies to smooth bore

The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.
    Thanks. I understand that definition, ....but...the ATF defines a pistol as ‘designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand’. So, if you were to add a vertical fore grip to a pistol, legally it is no longer a pistol*. It’s an AOW because it is now designed to be fired with two hands.

I have read many an online article about folks getting their Form 1 AOW due to the vertical foregrip. And they mention AR pistol, so wouldn't that lead me to believe it's a rifled bore?

Guess I am safe with just a small handstop. Not looking to drop $200 if not needed.
    Thanks again.

Attachments

• ATF.jpeg
      ATF.jpeg
      159.6 KB · Views: 123

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No, what you have probably heard in the past is that some create weapons that fall into the 'firearm' classification by adding a FWG to a pistol configuration that meets a minimum oal. IIRC, you cannot add a VFG to an AR pistol unless it is 26" oal and once you do, it becomes a 'firearm', not a pistol or rifle. You create an NFA item if you do add it to a less than 26" pistol I believe. I'm pretty sure that makes it an SBR, stock or not.

ETA - I have no idea how the new pistol brace ruling affects that if you have a brace attached to it... I honestly don't freaking care either.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks. I understand that definition, ....but...the ATF defines a pistol as ‘designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand’. So, if you were to add a vertical fore grip to a pistol, legally it is no longer a pistol*. It’s an AOW because it is now designed to be fired with two hands.

I have read many an online article about folks getting their Form 1 AOW due to the vertical foregrip. And they mention AR pistol, so wouldn't that lead me to believe it's a rifled bore?

Guess I am safe with just a small handstop. Not looking to drop $200 if not needed.
    Thanks again.
    After further research you are correct and I stand corrected

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom