• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    So would this also affect someone doing a Rossi Mare's leg .45LC into an SBR?

If you Form 1 it, you should be fine.

Form 4's are what seem to be getting punted, because MSP treats (as per the law) SBR's as handguns, and before being offered for sale or transfer, it has to be on the handgun roster.

Form 1 would be building it for yourself, so the roster wouldn't apply.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    If you Form 1 it, you should be fine.

Form 4's are what seem to be getting punted, because MSP treats (as per the law) SBR's as handguns, and before being offered for sale or transfer, it has to be on the handgun roster.

Form 1 would be building it for yourself, so the roster wouldn't apply.

except that in this case, the reason for ATF's denial is that the SBR is an assault weapon and banned by state law. so far, no indication that the roster has anything to do with ATF's response.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    except that in this case, the reason for ATF's denial is that the SBR is an assault weapon and banned by state law. so far, no indication that the roster has anything to do with ATF's response.

The question I was addressing was about turning a .45LC Mare's Leg into an SBR. Those are lever-action guns; thus, nothing in 281 applies to them. Unless you know something the rest of us don't.... ;)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

Yep, there seems to be a large disconnect right now between what we think the MSP thinks, and what the ATF thinks the MSP thinks.
    In actuality, I think a different person at the MSP may be answering questions for the ATF than is answering questions for the FFL's.

I wish the ATF would just cool down and not disapprove everything. They are on a rampage to clear out their backlog, this seems like an easy way to do it.

-Jim

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maybe someone at MSP thinks any SBR is now an AW which even if it has only one evil feature and is > 29" is not.. If BATFE is using those criteria and lS not checking the roster , why are they being rejected as AW? The rejections are saying AW, not because it's not on the roster. It seems to have ocurred for both Form 1 and Form 4 with the same reason-AW.

This is so FUBAR.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I just received the phone call that my TWO stamps had arrived for SBR evil rifles on a Trust ( pre Oct rifles , submitted pre Oct ).

Seems to me this is all totally random depending on which individual person at ATF handles it.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    And I just received the phone call that my TWO stamps had arrived for SBR evil rifles on a Trust ( pre Oct rifles , submitted pre Oct ).

Seems to me this is all totally random depending on which individual person at ATF handles it.

Maybe they're not denying stuff submitted before 10/1? I have a form 1 for a 26" SBR submitted in September that I haven't been disapproved for yet. I also have another form 1 on a 15-22 SBR that's listed at 8" barrel, 26" OAL that was pending in February 2014 that I haven't had word on yet either.

The first form 1 was a paper individual form and the second was e-filed with my trust.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It appears they are approving pre-October Form 1's. Yesterday I got my stamp for a 22" 9mm AR.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    It appears they are approving pre-October Form 1's. Yesterday I got my stamp for a 22" 9mm AR.

I think that's a pretty good assumption thus far. I had two paper Form 1's submitted Sept. 19th and cashed Sept. 28th on my NFA trust. One had an OAL of less then 29 inches. I'll post when I get something back from the ATF, whether approved or disapproved.

Teratos,

When did you say you submitted those Form 1's? I'm trying to track their recent processing times.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maybe they're not denying stuff submitted before 10/1? I have a form 1 for a 26" SBR submitted in September that I haven't been disapproved for yet. I also have another form 1 on a 15-22 SBR that's listed at 8" barrel, 26" OAL that was pending in February 2014 that I haven't had word on yet either.

The first form 1 was a paper individual form and the second was e-filed with my trust.

A 15-22 should be ok, as it can't be an AW since it's rim fire, and doesn't meet the copycat provisions.

I thought I saw a post that said BATF was assigning one examiner to process all MD Forms? Sure doesn't seem to be the case.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My P556 SBR should be an interesting test case. I initiated the purchase before 10/1, but I don't believe the paperwork got submitted until closer to the end of October (since a form 2 needed to be filled out first). In theory, the receipt for the transfer before 10/1 should save me on that, I suppose.

I'll restate for the record that my form 4 Glock SBR (check cashed early September) came through just fine last week.

I also have a pair of form 1s I filled out last month on non-ALGs (9mm DDLES, SW SP-10) for > 29". It'll be interesting to see how they respond to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom