• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    ATF has formally reclassified braces as stocks.

Owners have 120 days to file for a tax stamp as part of an amnesty period. Those of us in MD with braced pistols under 29" are probably going to get screwed.

Thoughts?
    You apparently have not read what you posted. The ATF has not formally reclassified braces as stocks. All it has done is get the final rule signed by the AG. Nothing is official until it is published in the Federal Register.

Secondly you have not read other threads on the issue.

This topic is being discussed there. There are may be changes between what was proposed and what is finally approved, but it does not change the fact that the other thread is discussing the same rule.

NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    What does this mean at the end of the 5th paragraph?

"Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols."

Doesn't that negate everything written above that line?

A brace as we know it now, will no longer be a brace. What you cite above just keeps braces available. But what will actually be a brace is being extremely limited by this proposed rule.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

"Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols."

They are simply citing a technicality that the rule does not actually ban braces. It does determine that certain braces are now considered SBRs and require a tax stamp to legally own. You will need to read the rule to figure out which braces the rule may apply to.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    In an article I read this morning, the stamp tax will be waived for pistols falling under this new rule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114-114711.png
      Screenshot_20230114-114711.png
      89.4 KB · Views: 97

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I am now wondering about the engraving requirements for manufacturing and registering.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How would the average person who bought a pistol brace years ago know about any of this new nonsense? People here are completely tuned in to all things gun related. Most people I shoot and hunt with aren’t aware of much of anything regarding new gun laws, ATF, or whatever. They’re just shooting their guns and living their lives.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

My guess is they're trying not to run afoul of the Americans with Disabilities Act, while continuing in their role as jackbooted thugs.

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland

Ruger PC Charger GTG??

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Time for a little parts swapping, when you fill out a form 1 you need to include pics so they can verify ( or you did ) its has a brace on it, as well as the factory markings. I have a few things that that might be questionable on length until parts are changed around. I can make everything over 29 inches

or strangely enough the ones that dont measure up dont have braces, at least when they leave home.
    Here is my
    977199EF-17B3-4815-B9E9-EBEBEDBA81BB.png
    pic

Jan 15, 2023
    APG

It just reclassifies a pistol with a stabilizing brace as a rifle. Then, if your barrel is under 16" you have a problem. They would say that your stabilizing brace is attached to a SBR. You can still purchase stabilizing braces all day long but you will have nothing you can legally attach them to that a stock wouldn't be better for.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    My guess is they're trying not to run afoul of the Americans with Disabilities Act, while continuing in their role as jackbooted thugs.
    This.
    Like so many other things the GOV does, let's provide an incentive to be disabled to get a benefit/exemption.

These ******* GOV morons, I can roll with an AR pistol just as easy without a brace, the way it was before braces were invented. WTF is a brace or not a brace on an AR pistol going to do other than make it more scary and taxable?

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    If you have a post-2013 16" AR-15 >29" OAL pistol do you have to remove the brace to comply with Maryland Law or would it still be considered a pistol or other?

ATF has formally reclassified braces as stocks.

Owners have 120 days to file for a tax stamp as part of an amnesty period. Those of us in MD with braced pistols under 29" are probably going to get screwed.

Thoughts?
    Yeah, refuse to comply until a LEGAL ruling is in place from SCOTUS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom