• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Yes, that is my question. Would it still be a 'firearm' under Maryland law if that same brace turns a shorter pistol into a SBR under federal law?
    Since MD law hasn't changed, this shouldn't be an issue as far as I can tell. The classification of 'firearm' vs. rifle technically has legal justification. If MD decides to adopt that any/all braces are stocks this would change the classification. Might want to talk to a lawyer for this though, as I am not one.

So if I have something that I was planning on building to SBR and it’s not built. If I Form 1 it take a picture with a brace on it then after paper work comes back can it be changed to a stock?
    So technically you cannot assemble an SBR until you get a stamp. If a brace is now considered a stock... Does that mean taking a picture of the setup with a brace is evidence of manufacturing an SBR prior to getting a tax stamp approval?

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I am going to have to do the same thing to my CMMG Banshee, if I can find a barrel and make sure that turning a "pistol" into a "rifle" is allowed in this fvcked up state.

I resisted the braces for a long time and finally gave in for the same reason, the dumbass OAL requirement here.
    Turning a pistol into a rifle is OK, turning a rifle into a pistol is a no no. That was the whole premise behind the NFA. Before pistols used to be more regulated than they are now, so people used to buy long guns and cut them down to be pistols. NFA put an axe to that. Since pistols have since been removed from the NFA long ago, the NFA in theory should remove SBR's from it's registry requirement.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Of course it's BS and all but guaranteed to get tossed by a court soon. Not sure if that will happen before or after this creates several million felons. Of course not planning on complying, hoping the "compliance rate" is near 0, but caught on what to do for the "free stamp" thing this basically creates. At most I might get free stamps on stuff I plan to SBR anyway, and sending the $200 for each to SAF instead of the ATF.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Of course it's BS and all but guaranteed to get tossed by a court soon. Not sure if that will happen before or after this creates several million felons. Of course not planning on complying, hoping the "compliance rate" is near 0, but caught on what to do for the "free stamp" thing this basically creates. At most I might get free stamps on stuff I plan to SBR anyway, and sending the $200 for each to SAF instead of the ATF.
    I have so many braced pistols the will make excellent SBRs…. :D

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    The best scenario is that SBR's are removed from the NFA. Might as well throw suppressors in there while we are at it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am going to have to do the same thing to my CMMG Banshee, if I can find a barrel and make sure that turning a "pistol" into a "rifle" is allowed in this fvcked up state.

I resisted the braces for a long time and finally gave in for the same reason, the dumbass OAL requirement here.
    I resisted as well when I jumped in I sort of saw this coming down the pipe and decided to use the Kak blade brace which uses a standard buffer so now changing things do not require much effort and no additional tuning of the gun. I see SB tactical saw this coming as well and now sells a replacement stock that fits into their PDW Brace setup.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The best scenario is that SBR's are removed from the NFA. Might as well throw suppressors in there while we are at it.
    While suppressors should not be in there all the public understands suppressors to be what Hollywood has put out and will be less enthused.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have so many braced pistols the will make excellent SBRs…. :D
    I have a pile of unbuilt lowers that may just identify as braced pistols lol. Maybe even a few 80s that may just have sequential serial#s starting with "F#@ktheatf" that could become free SBRs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a pile of unbuilt lowers that may just identify as braced pistols lol. Maybe even a few 80s that may just have sequential serial#s starting with "F#@ktheatf" that could become free SBRs.
    (I don’t own any AR Pistols)

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter

You certainly can convert a pistol to a rifle. That's federal. The only conversion exception is, you cannot convert a "rifle" that you purchased into a pistol. That would be "making a short barrel rifle" and illegal without first buying a $200 tax stamp.

The only thing I used braces on were home built 9mm ARs because, who wants an AR9 with a long barrel on it? I have an AR9 SBR. Great little gun, but boring to shoot. I like shorties.

folder2.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    (I don’t own any AR Pistols)
    LOL, me either. Looking into this, couple things some lawyers keep bringing up. Being this is enforceable on day 1, and "compliance" requires photos and essentially an admission of guilt, it is a clear 5A violation. The ATF may be planning on rejecting any and all "free" Form 1s at the first sign of an injunction or with any real or perceived error. Being it takes over 120 days for them to complete them anyway, you will be non-compliant, with evidence handed to the ATF. They could arrest you or might be "lenient" and force you to pay $200 to resubmit it after the 120 days.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    You certainly can convert a pistol to a rifle. That's federal. The only conversion exception is, you cannot convert a "rifle" that you purchased into a pistol. That would be "making a short barrel rifle" and illegal without first buying a $200 tax stamp.

The only thing I used braces on were home built 9mm ARs because, who wants an AR9 with a long barrel on it? I have an AR9 SBR. Great little gun, but boring to shoot. I like shorties.

View attachment 396674
    I had a long barrel AR9 that I sold after shooting a friends Banshee pistol. I got a dedicated can for it and it is a blast to shoot. I am trying to find someone who is interested in a project. I'd like to integrally suppress it and turn it into a one stamp gun like a Spikes Tactical Brown Recluse.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    MD Escapee: Mid-Tennessee
    I had a long barrel AR9 that I sold after shooting a friends Banshee pistol. I got a dedicated can for it and it is a blast to shoot. I am trying to find someone who is interested in a project. I'd like to integrally suppress it and turn it into a one stamp gun like a Spikes Tactical Brown Recluse.
    Oh crap--- here we go with the "brown recluse" thing all over again... :lol2:

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    If your first thought about this news is considering the 29” OAL rule, the $200 tax waiver, and SBR engraving… then you’re a part of the problem.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If your first thought about this news is considering the 29” OAL rule, the $200 tax waiver, and SBR engraving… then you’re a part of the problem.
    I completely disagree. While it is possible the court battles will win "hoping" so and doing nothing to map legal landscape so you do not lose your rights completely if the lawsuits do not win is ignorant.

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    Some of us have to register our weapons with the military base we live on and are subject to random vehicle inspections on a daily basis. We have to cross our t's and dot our i's. I already had an issue with legally stored suppressors at a place that went out of business during covid and I was not able to travel back from overseas to gain possession of them before the locks were drilled. Some nice ATF agents took possesion of them for me and drove them to a local NFA dealer that stored them for me. I got lucky. I also have a story about a pistol I bought when I was 19 from a private party. It had been used in a bank robbery in CA. I turned it into the police and filled out the paperwork and later retrieved from evidence when the case was resolved. However, I am sure I am the exception, not the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom