• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • e40bib

Feb 13, 2011
    What's the average distance from a tree stand to your "kill zone" for a compound bow? In other words how far should my 3d deer be from a tree stand?

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    If you have never shot from a tree stand, it will be a learning experience. :)

Practice judging distance and shooting from up there. It takes a great deal of practice drawing and shooting from a seated position.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The easiest way to gauge distance is to set out distance markers. Cotton balls work great for this. Just dip some cotton balls in doe pee and set them out where you can see them at 10, 15, 20, 15, 30 yards.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I try to make 30 yards my max but I usually don't like to shoot over 20 yds. I have taken the occasional animal at 35 but that would probably be the farthest, plus you'd be amazed at how close an animal will get if you just sit quiet and let them come in to you. It all depends on how comfortable you are with your shooting range. If you can shoot 20 yards and less accurately then 20 yards should be your max. If you can shoot 30 yards accurately then 30 yards is your max. If this is your first time bow hunting good luck! It's a sickness that can't be cured.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Practice at various distances, both known and unkown but within the realm of your abilites. Practice from different positions in the treestand also, sitting, facing forward, shooting behind you, against the tree...You never know what you will be presented with in the field. Place the deer in different positions, don't always use a clear-cut scenario.

Good Luck and be careful this year.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    40 yards is my max I will shoot with my crossbow. Killed an 8pt in WV a few years back at 38 yards.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    With the advent of the newer compound bows that are shooting in the 320+
    FPS range kill distances have been stretched somewhat. That being said, I still like the 20-30 yard range.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Most of my shots were practiced from 10-25 yards. But usually in the 15-20 range.

When I was bow hunting quite a bit several years ago, I'd practice shooting a target off my deck. My permanent stand was only 2-3 feet higher than my deck was. I'd use this to get a feel for distances at height.

I'd also put my climber stand in a tree in the back yard and practice this way as well.

Once I got into the woods, I'd hang a few orange ribbons at the ranges I was shooting during practice.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    ... what VNVGUNNER said. Get a safety harness. For fixed stands put a safety rope from ground to your stand to be connected at all times. For climbers, Lineman's rope attached to the strap on your back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom