• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    My buddy and his wife recently attended a W&C permit class. He sent me a picture of him and his wifes passing targets and he made the comment that his wife just passed. I noticed that most of her shots were constantly low just above the paper. One would assume that she missed low. They were shooting at a 27E target. It’s my understanding that these targets are shorter than the standard B27. Do you think it’s an issue for these instructors to use a more challenging target (smaller)?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    27E is ECONOMY. Thinner paper. Same B27 size silhouette.

She was shooting low because she was shooting low.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I do not know what the variation number is, but there are some B27’s that are about 3 inches shorter on the bottom of the black target area. Like the tale of a coat below it waist line.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just a side note, unless a target is hanging really high for some reason, most silhouettes are "center mass directly in front of you". So regardless of the target size, center mass is going to be directly where you are pressing the pistol out towards.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The B-27E is about 3” shorter than a B-27, ending immediately below the 7 ring.

(The B-34 is a 1/3 scale of the full B-27.)

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Doesn't affect someone's shooting tho.

You are correct. I was just responding to OP’s reference regarding target size.

If that last 3” below the 7 zone makes or breaks one’s qualifying, they definitely need more proficiency training.

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    Thanks guys, when looking up the size it had the standard B27 was 24x45 and the B27e was 23x35. Thought there was an 8inch difference, 3 isn’t so bad. Thanks for the replies

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Made up by MSPLD spec of the required target is the B27. There is no other target for a MD W&C qualification.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Thanks guys, when looking up the size it had the standard B27 was 24x45 and the B27e was 23x35. Thought there was an 8inch difference, 3 isn’t so bad. Thanks for the replies

I stand corrected. I was swagging at the 3”, but then got curious about exact difference. The silhouette portion of the B-27 is 42.75” tall and the silhouette portion of the B-27E is 33.75” tall. So, there is a 9” difference.

However, I still stand by my position that if that area below 7 makes or breaks one’s passing score, they should get additional training before carrying.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    People in 28 Con Carry states should get training before carrying no matter how well they shoot, but most won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom