• ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Appalacian trail.

Some of the hostels in town offer a service to return you to your car. hat way you can park somewhere and hike and camp a couple days, and then get a ride back to where you started.

Bears den vw(hostel) to harpers ferry(another hostel) is 2 or 3 nice days taking your time, and relaxing at the campsite.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've been through there as well, one of the sites has a fun rope swing....O and don't go up that trail on the right... I scared the bejesus out of the S/O and kids going up there in the Blazer... It's a sheer drop off the side of the trail and nowhere to turn around once your up there.... I had fun though... lol

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Garrett County, MD. It's in New Germany State Park right next to Savage River State Forest. Not quite backcountry, it is accessible by vehicle, but you'll need a 4x4 or an ATV. There is fishing and Hunting nearby. You'll actually have to cross one stream a few times driving in. There is also a lake nearby where Poplar Lick Run is dammed, although there is a campground layed out by the lake. You can, however, camp along the trail rather than in the campground itself. It's basically primitive, but there are marked locations with fire rings scattered about. Some sites even have a picnic table. I think there is a small nominal charge either for camping or a 'permit' fee. I'd look up New Germany State Park and call.

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/md/poplarlick00/index.htm
    http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/20000409savage7.asp

Be aware that this is Black Bear Country and Winter time there can be abundant snowfall (sometimes as early as now! - nearby (10 or 20 mi?) Wisp gets over 100" per year!!).

Also, because of the Native Brook Trout habitat, fishing rules and regulations change often. I'm not necessarily up to date as it has been 2 - 3 years since I was last there (4-wheeling) and much longer since I've fished there. There was talk a few years ago of limiting the run to fly fishing only.

Just check in with the Ranger station a few miles away

Hope this helps ya!
    Poplar Lick is less than a mile down Savage River Rd from our hunting cabin. The first part is doable in a car - until you get to the creek crossing. There are some campsites before the creek. Plenty of hiking areas around those parts as well. If you feel the need to hike this time of year up there-make sure to wear safety orange. It gets pretty crazy during deer season. **Actually, this warning should also be heeded no matter where you decide to walk in the woods during the next month (2 wks modern firearms followed by 2 wks blk powder).
    Deep Creek Lake is also only a 25-30min drive from here.

Poplar Lick is a beautiful spot, although IIRC the entire trail is only a few miles. I spend many days down in there playing with those little native Brookies, even bought a 7' #1 fly rod just for that kind of stuff.

The natives ARE fun. If you go downstream to the reservoir, you can catch a lot of other stuff too!

icetrout

Nov 6, 2010
    im having a hard time finding a place where i can do some back country camping in maryland. me my buddy and my dog are looking to find a place where we can hike in and set up camp near a place where we can do some fishing. ive searched quite a bit but everything i come up with is vague on rules and regulations. my only requirements are that i can hike in and pitch camp where i want and be able to fish close by. any help or your personal experiences at places would be appreciated.

Try Big Savage Mountain Trail,17 miles long.Start south of Frostburg end's around the dam.NO FIRE'S,bring your Primus pack stove this is the" Maryland Wildlands" very little use.Never hiked the whole trail myself,mostly the upper end fishing the Upper Savage.NO KILL on the Brook Trout.Take a .22 with you, squirrel's out the yeng-yang .

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    get the book 50 hikes In Maryland. over 50 topographic maps, lots of info. 8 of the 50 allow backcountry camping.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Tons of places check out the DNR website.

I live right near a trailhead for the AT...it is crazy on the weekends this time of year. But we do have some good hiking around here. I would head west, or go to WV.

WV is much better for camping.

Not much backcountry in MD really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom