• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I'm going back country hiking/camping for a couple weeks in Denali and need to choose a holster for my 7.5" SBH. With a 40 lbs pack I can't wear either of my current holsters.

Steve

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You're almost certainly stuck with some kind of cross draw shoulder rig. How are you carrying your bear spray?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    would a chest rig work with your pack setup?

That's what I was wondering. Any good pack will have a chest strap, but usually they're too thin to support anything.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/holsters_slings/concealed/lunar-concealed-carry-pouch

i posed this same question on another forum and this is the link they provided for me. I haven't used it yet, but it got a lot of good reviews from the people on the forum. I wanted something that I could attach to the hip belt of my backpack that wouldn't interfere with my regular backpacking set up, but was easily accessible.

It's also nice because if you do come across someone, they can't tell you're carrying. You don't want to be that rogue killer roaming the woods looking for a victim, it's not good for your karma.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Guys - I just looked up the chest rigs looks promising. I also thought about a chest/rib pack with multiple pockets.

the bear spray setup I was given is a modified drop leg holster. I have never worn a holster like this. I will have to wear it on my practice hikes with it to see how bad it rubs.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    DROB

That is the cheapest item I have seen. The large may work.

All the times I have been to Alaska the people that get the odd looks are the ones without a gun. On previous trips when we were doing day hikes or just overnight hikes I have an 870. On the multi day trip hiking without any trails I think the weight may be too much.

Keep the ideas coming this is a great help

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/holsters_slings/concealed/lunar-concealed-carry-pouch

i posed this same question on another forum and this is the link they provided for me. I haven't used it yet, but it got a lot of good reviews from the people on the forum. I wanted something that I could attach to the hip belt of my backpack that wouldn't interfere with my regular backpacking set up, but was easily accessible.

It's also nice because if you do come across someone, they can't tell you're carrying. You don't want to be that rogue killer roaming the woods looking for a victim, it's not good for your karma.

This seems like a discrete comfortable option. Something that protects the gun that can be worn on the hip belt is the best trail option.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    DROB - Please let us know your thoughts on the drop leg after you try it. I have given it some thought and am interested in trying it out.

I have used the Wilderness Safepacker mounted on the hip belt. I like it because it keeps the gun completely covered and out of view, yet accessible. I dislike that the gun is attached to the pack and has to be removed every time you drop pack.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    No offense, but I do not like the idea of having to unzip a holster to deploy your weapon. If doing serious hiking in bear country and especially in Alaska where firearms are common place, I'd have my weapon at the ready all the time. I like this chest rig for my Ruger Alaskan, but I'm sure they make them for other models. It also has space for a knife and phone/radio.

http://shopruger.com/Alaskan-Outfitters-Harness-Holster-Right-Handed/productinfo/50062/

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    No offense, but I do not like the idea of having to unzip a holster to deploy your weapon. If doing serious hiking in bear country and especially in Alaska where firearms are common place, I'd have my weapon at the ready all the time. I like this chest rig for my Ruger Alaskan, but I'm sure they make them for other models. It also has space for a knife and phone/radio.

http://shopruger.com/Alaskan-Outfitters-Harness-Holster-Right-Handed/productinfo/50062/

His 7.5 SBH won't fit that rig. Made Alaskan or 4" RH

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Send a PM to Archangel. He does custom work and could easily make something that should work for your pack. I was working with him to set something up for mine but my Dept is dragging it's feet on approving the holster I asked about.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I'm already dropping big $'s on this trip so I would like to use what I have or modify it. I did play around with the idea of having someone swap out the barrel for a smaller one but didn't know if this would be more that a few hundred bucks. If it's more than that I may just pick up another gun but I didn't want to get in the decisons between .44, .454 .500

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom