• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    For my Target that is...guess it's time to replace some parts. I've found that using PVC, it's easier to replace pieces as they get damaged as opposed to replacing whole pieces of wood. It also breaks down nicely and fits in a bag.

Attachments

• 20130606_164936.jpg
      20130606_164936.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 814

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Might want to try this configuration.

PVC and 1x2's and just staple cardboard to wood. The 1x2's slide into the PVC and are narrower than the pipe and can take a few hits without shattering.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
      Picture 020.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 650
    • Picture 021.jpg
      Picture 021.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 726

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland

PVC and 1x2's and just staple cardboard to wood. The 1x2's slide into the PVC and are narrower than the pipe and can take a few hits without shattering.

I've got the same configuration for my shooting stand. Easy to store and transport, and the furring strips are super easy to replace. And cheap! About $15 for the whole thing!

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick

I use the same setup. Works great! I use 1x2 firring strips in a 3 inch pvc. I also use a couple horizontal wooden cross braces screwed in between the two vertical strips to make it more rigid. Usually at the top of the strips and near the bottom just above where the upright pvc tubes stop on the wooden strips.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.

I use a similar set up; I do turn the 1x2's 90 deg so the flat 1x2 surface is wider to give you more area to attach cardboard. Also, drill small hole in the long bottom pieces near the "T"'s and drive a small (8") spike through the pvc and into the ground for greater stability on windy day's.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    For my Target that is...guess it's time to replace some parts. I've found that using PVC, it's easier to replace pieces as they get damaged as opposed to replacing whole pieces of wood. It also breaks down nicely and fits in a bag.

There's this new product on the market and can be found at local big box home improvement stores. It's called 2x2 lumber. Maybe if you use that instead of the fragile PVC you won't have to change parts that often. I have 3 target holders made from 2x2 and they are about 8 years old now. Not quite ready to replace yet, but, they have been shot up pretty good.

Now, by the looks of the shot up pipe you might also want to center your targets so you don't shoot up the pipe. Maybe the target is centered, but, the shooter did not stick his tongue out to the left of his lip ? I am just kidding with you of course. seriously, nothing harmful meant by any of this EXCEPT the fact that you might want to build out of wood instead of PVC. I personally would never even consider PVC for a target stand. Unless there's some range that requires it... I hear that AGC place or whoever it was had some pretty serious target stand regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom