• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Hey, I was just wondering if I could get a ballpark estimate on 2 lugers. One is a 1915, all matching with about 50% finish, decent bore.
    Other is a 1917, all matching with a good finish, decent bore. Both are DWM. Both have non-matching wood based mags.
    Both are non-russian captures and neither have import marks.

I know this isnt a terribly great description, and that there are many variables that will sway the price.

No pictures, at least not yet

Thanks guys!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    im not very familiar with the intimate details of lugers, but assuming these are average type and markings etc, and based on the condition you describe, i would think they would range around $1200 for the more worn one, and $1500 for the better one.

again, im no expert on lugers, so i would certainly look into it more deeply before trying to price them, especially confirm any markings etc.

you can take a look at gunbroker for an idea of what price range they might bring, gunbroker prices can vary widely, and i would say most lugers are probably at least a little overpriced on gunbroker, but most of them also sit a long time with no bids.

so find some comparable lugers on gunbroker, keep an eye on which ones get bids and how high they go, and you'll get an idea of what is a "quick sell" price, what is a fair price, and what is a good price but may sit a while.

from there you'll have a much better idea of how to price them depending on your needs.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hard to tell without detailed pictures of the guns and markings.

Luger prices are highly variable on the following factors:

Make and factory,
    Markings,
    Rebuild factory (most early guns like yours were rearsenaled at least once, sometimes it adds value sometimes detracts)
    Matching parts
    Finish (one persons 50% is another 70%).
    Provenance (e.g., documentation)
    Caliber (assuming both are 9mm)
    Unit markings

A few things to look for:

1. Matching parts, especialyl barrels, frames, takedown levers, and inside of grips. Lugers had a bunch of other small serialized parts. They were crazy about serializing strangely small parts such as toggle pins.
    2. Function
    3. Unit markings
    4. Also a proper german gun will be blued (they used two or three types which can help you pin down if it was rearsenaled) and have straw colored small parts such as the trigger and takedowns. Guns with blued small parts typically are postwar rebuilds, but some of the later german rebuilds could be as well.

DWMs in general are some of the lower priced guns, especially the early ones. I would say low end $800 to $1,000 for the rougher one and $1,200 to $1,500 for the better one.

One thing about Lugers, most of the sites and shows list really high but the ones that sell are pretty close to the range above. I paid $1050 (transfers, shipping, all in) for mine which was a german rebuild no date gun, with a few missmatched small parts, some provenance as a bringback (GI marked holster with name, gun came from town that I tracked the particular GI to, I also have his web published autobiography), original holster, and two matching mags (though I had to do some restoration work to the mags as they had dings that needed massaged out. Condition about 85%

Last edited:

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Thanks for the detailed responses. The guy who owns them is looking at $750-$900 for each. They are both 9mm. I will have more info on them when i see them in person early next week. Ive looked at gunbroker, and I would agree, those prices are certainly a bit higher than they should be.

Thanks again. Ill post pictures if I can get them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks for the detailed responses. The guy who owns them is looking at $750-$900 for each. They are both 9mm. I will have more info on them when i see them in person early next week. Ive looked at gunbroker, and I would agree, those prices are certainly a bit higher than they should be.

Hes asking fair money, unless they are reworks. You should buy them both or let me know where they are.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    thats a great deal, if i was in the market for a luger id snatch up one or even both.

honestly im always in the market for a luger, dont have one yet, though right now, i already blew my wad this week on 2 buys.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Both of them could be worth well north of $750-$900 if original with no import marks and not re-arsenalized or refinished, especially if any verifiable provenance indicates use in WWI or WWII. I'd be very leery of using GunJoker as a primary reference, unless you narrow it down to specific dealers specializing in Lugers and discount for a private sale (compared to retail).

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Very fair prices, snap them both up. If not I would be more than happy to take them off his hands.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've been looking at Lugers lately and those prices are almost cheap compared to what I've seen out there. I'd buy them both at those prices.

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md

Those seem like decent prices to me. They both sell in the same price range. I have seen them sold from 800 to 1600 in working condition.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Good info here in this thread. The prices seem fair to downright good based on the descriptions. If you can get pictures up before you buy, that would help us give you a little better feedback.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I was thinking $900-1100 on the better example and $800-1000 on the lesser example. This could swing higher with some good photos to see the finish condition which can be subjective.
    The one thing that hurts a bit with hardcore Luger collectors is the non-matching mags. Most advanced auto collectors only consider a pistol as "all matching" if the mag numbers match as well. Then you can ring up the dollar signs! And don't forget that she ain't all matching until you've verified the internal part numbers also match (learned this on Japanese Nambus).
    These sound like nice examples, photos would go a long way to help firm up estimates.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Ill be sure to upload photos when I see them in person. I trust the guy I am buying from, he has never steered me wrong before. Of course, I will check to make sure, and hopefully get some pictures up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom