• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    'ello. I've been lurking on and off for awhile and figure it is well past time I introduce myself.

Instead of having a clever user name, "Adam", by shear coincidence I assure you, is my actual name. 40 years old. Married. IT Professional. Sailor. Generally pessimistic about the future of a free America. I moved to Maryland about five years ago (chasing a girl if you can believe it), and bought a house in Baltimore City (Lauraville) two years ago. I don't mind saying that when job and finances permit I will likely be looking to move somewhere far, far away from Baltimore City. The place does not do it for me. I doubt I'll remain in Maryland. As a gun loving libertarian, the political atmosphere is just too frustrating to deal with.

I shoot a S&W 9mm and .22 when I can find the time. I am looking to upgrade the arsenal somewhat if I can ever get my finances fully under control.

Looking for: 12 gauge pump shotgun. Not sure what brand or model; but given the lowlifes who occasionally lurk around my property I'm looking for a good solid "chunk -- chunk" for the intimidation factor.

Looking for: Probably an AR15 of one type or another. Due to my Army days I am very comfortable with this style weapon. And should the SHTF, well, I can't think of a better Get The Hell Out Of Town or Stand My Ground long gun. High capacity, light weight, good accuracy. Plus it is fun to shoot.

Looking for: Lever action 30-30. Nice, portable game rifle. I fired a friends Winchester a few years ago and liked it. Winchester? Browning? Marlin? Not sure yet. I've never been hunting, but am looking forward to giving it a shot (har!).

Looking for: M1 Garand. Just because. Never shot one. Never held one. Still, I can't help but want one. CMP here I come.

Looking for: Sig P229. So far, of the several dozen handguns I've test driven, this is the one that feels best, and shoots best in my hand. Expensive though. Could get a Glock instead, which works well for me. It doesn't turn me on, though. In any case, looking for something with a little more oomph than the 9mm. After I knock off some of the long guns, that is.

Of course, the twelve dollars I have in my savings account needs a little augmenting first.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, Baltimore City is a dump but there are areas much worse than that. If you really have to use a gun in self defense - better have a lawyer on speeddial and check out the bail bonds in your area.

As for your questions:
    -Shotgun whatever you feel like. A good solid pump-action or coach gun should be what you want for home. Brand and style are extremely unimportant as long as it is reliable.

- Lever: Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 in good used condition are the most common ones.

For the rest: Come down to canton and we can chat over a beer.

Oh, some users might start asking you about something called a C&R FFL. Find out what it is and start ordering your application now before people start bugging you. You will do so sooner or later when hanging out with this crowd :innocent0 so it is better to get started right away.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Thanks for the welcome...

Welcome, Adam. I work in the city. Check out a Mosin Nagant, too. Cheap and fun!

Looks interesting. I will have to check it out.

Yes, Baltimore City is a dump but there are areas much worse than that. If you really have to use a gun in self defense - better have a lawyer on speeddial and check out the bail bonds in your area.

That would suck ... but better than the alternative.

As for your questions:
    -Shotgun whatever you feel like. A good solid pump-action or coach gun should be what you want for home. Brand and style are extremely unimportant as long as it is reliable.

As long as it makes scary CHUNK CHUNK sounds! (better than a dog! Well, at least better than the little chihuahua pseudo dogs my wife likes.)

- Lever: Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 in good used condition are the most common ones.

That's pretty much what I figured. Hope to see a hunt this fall. If my brother-in-law doesn't end up being my ex-brother-in-law before hand. (husband of wife's sister ... no likely divorce on my end)

For the rest: Come down to canton and we can chat over a beer.

Throw in a cigar and we'll have the holy trinity! (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms ... damn the BATFE for ruining all the best things in life.)

Oh, some users might start asking you about something called a C&R FFL. Find out what it is and start ordering your application now before people start bugging you. You will do so sooner or later when hanging out with this crowd :innocent0 so it is better to get started right away.

Yeah, I might do that. I'm not entirely convinced it would be terribly useful to me. We'll see.

....got C&R yet? ;)

Ok, ok! I'm ordering the application! :whip:

Welcome to the group...you should also look into getting a pistol for your SHTF moments ;)

Got a couple ... a S&W 6906 in 9mm, and S&W something or other target pistol in 22. I'm thinking about getting my wife a revolver, .38 probably, as well. Something simple since she is not a gun nut. I really liked that sig I shot, but at $1100 (at the less than cheap store/range I test fired it at), it was WELL above my price limit.

Side story: My wife wasn't much interested in firearms before we moved to Baltimore. But, even in my pretty decent neighborhood, we have the occasional bought of trouble. A few months ago, at around 0200, we where woken up to what sounded like a serious party, lots of people yelling, partying, and playing rap music at levels well above OSHA limits. I figured it was just one of our neighbors kids throwing a party or something. Pissed me off, but after a look out the window I didn't see anything terribly amiss, so I went back to bed. Poor wifey went upstairs into the attic to get a better look and keep an eye on things (she stays up much later than me as a rule). After they left she informed me that it was a bunch of kids(?? I'm assuming this was my wife's euphemism for gangs) partying out on the street from their cars while waving guns all over the place. WHAT!?! I asked her why she didn't call the police and she just looked at me funny. I asked her why she didn't wake me up, and she told me I needed my sleep. Gawd, I hate Baltimore.

Oh, yeah, I should probably mention that while I may not post often, once I get going I make up for it by being extremely wordy. Apologies in advance.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Welcome to the funny farm, fellow Baltimoron! I'm also ready to bug out and watch Charm City and the "Free State" (hah!) disappearing in my rear view mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom