20211113_091300.jpg
      190 KB · Views: 291
    • 20211113_160022.jpg
      20211113_160022.jpg
      193 KB · Views: 291

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Southern Delaware for the opener this week. Got a pretty nice buck in the evening

Best part was catching up with folks on the farm. Lost 2 old hunting partners since dec ‘19. And the rest of us are all getting a lot older! A few younger members are in now. Carrying on the tradition.

Attachments

• A8511024-D96C-4E61-9703-6D046D355B07.jpg
      A8511024-D96C-4E61-9703-6D046D355B07.jpg
      236.4 KB · Views: 281

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Southern Delaware for the opener this week. Got a pretty nice buck in the evening

Best part was catching up with folks on the farm. Lost 2 old hunting partners since dec ‘19. And the rest of us are all getting a lot older! A few younger members are in now. Carrying on the tradition.

Perfect shot. Congrats!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Passed on a buck Sunday morning that had 4 maybe 5 points. Beams had mass and had two forks facing front like a tractor bucket. Never seen an antler setup like that. I saw him through the brush due to the antler thickness and was ready to shoot and was like, damn, he might not even be a legal buck. Beams looked stout with forward projection, but the body was not huge and maybe still younger. Let him go and my buddy was like You should have shot him.

This is the second goofy set of antlers I saw this year. Three weeks ago at first like I saw a nice body and looked like a 5 point 4 on one side and one beam with no brow tines or upright tines.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Passed on a buck Sunday morning that had 4 maybe 5 points. Beams had mass and had two forks facing front like a tractor bucket. Never seen an antler setup like that. I saw him through the brush due to the antler thickness and was ready to shoot and was like, damn, he might not even be a legal buck. Beams looked stout with forward projection, but the body was not huge and maybe still younger. Let him go and my buddy was like You should have shot him.

This is the second goofy set of antlers I saw this year. Three weeks ago at first like I saw a nice body and looked like a 5 point 4 on one side and one beam with no brow tines or upright tines.

There are lots of odd genetics around me (Greenbrier SP area), but I don't think that I've ever seen anything like that! There was a 6 pointer a year or two ago that essentially looked like a fork with an extra tine crammed in. All points were straight up with almost no forward curve on either antler. Named that one Honest Abe because it looked like he was wearing a tophat. Abe got a pass from me whenever I was out and saw him.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I found that big mature buck I was looking for. He was bedded down with a big doe right behind my shed. Walked around the corner collecting sticks for kindling and scare the crap out of them and me. They were bedded down 10 yards away. A chip shot from where I’ve been hanging my stand and where my ladder stand is going up this evening or tomorrow.

Sigh. Couldn’t have been Wednesday Thursday or Friday last week that they decided to come in. Had to be today.

The good news is I thought “my buck” I’d been seeing on my game cameras got hit by a car about half a mile away. Saw a nice one as road kill over the weekend. Nope, different buck. Not surprisingly the roadkill bucks head was missing a few hours later. I get it that a nice mount is a nice mount. But still seems odd you’d really want one for a wall or something unless maybe YOU were the one who hit it and they were just coming back for that later.

Still seems like the least you could do is dispose of the rest of the deer rather than leaving it barely on the shoulder.

Anyway, hopefully this big guy will be roaming around in a couple of weeks when I’ll have a chance to sit in my new stand. Also it feels like I need to get a good bow and start practicing. I really do prefer a crossbow, but over the last couple of years there have been several times I’ve been doing quick chores in the yard like getting eggs from our chickens or feeding them and had a big buck come trotting by within bow range.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I doubt this fits the theme of this thread, but DNR police popped a couple of caps (I believe they use S&W .40) into disabled deer right in front of my house this AM. I'm off a busy road 5 minutes north of 695. The back up messed with a bunch of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom